SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:13 PM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Cool
CRASHED Javelin Sport Jet Scratch Build by Phil Wesley DELTA EXPERT NEEDED

Since the housing crash, my dad, an electrician has been short on work, and the R/C budget was the first to go. On the other hand, I've been working 60+ hours a week wrenching on Hawkers. So with our current situation we decided that I'd fund the project and he would build it.

I would like to present to you the Javelin

This is our first "real" EDF as well as our first scratch built delta. Basically its a simplified sport version of a Mirage 2000. It features Spring-Air 600 series retracts, and a 70mm WeMoTec Mini Fan spun by a Neu 1115/1.5D, on a 4S 3700 Evo. This combonation provides about 900 watts at our 5000ft elevation.

Specs:
Span 33"
Area 333 sq"
Length 33.75"
AUW. 54oz
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Last edited by Joshua Wesley; Dec 22, 2008 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:46 PM
Always optimistic
North of Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2005
288 Posts
Very nice JW! Has it flown? What sort of speeds are you getting?
foxflier is offline Find More Posts by foxflier
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:05 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflier
Very nice JW! Has it flown? What sort of speeds are you getting?

It has flown, twice, although the second flight resulted in a crash! One of those high quality HS-81s on an elevon broke its gears in flight. However, it is very repairable and will be flying again next weekend with some HS-82MGs.

We didn't have the radar gun, but comparing the the known speed of other aircraft, we guess it was traveling at around 120mph in level with wide open throttle. However, I was really taking it easy and getting used to the bird before I make any long, high speed runs.
Last edited by Joshua Wesley; Dec 07, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:06 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Awesome! Very nice job... Love the finish quality....I only wish my scratch builds looked that nice

I know we would all love to see some video of her in flight.

Have fun flying!

Matt
niner555 is offline Find More Posts by niner555
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:07 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Flight video... probably next Sunday. We will be bringing it to the Arizona Electric Festival in late Jan if anyone wishes to see it.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:12 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Would love to see pics of the inside. It always neat to see how people engineer their scratch builds.

Matt
niner555 is offline Find More Posts by niner555
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:43 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niner555
Would love to see pics of the inside. It always neat to see how people engineer their scratch builds.

Matt
It's actually very interesting inside, unfortunatley Dad has the Javelin in his bat cave repairing it as we speak so I don't have any photos right now.

-Joshua
Old Dec 08, 2008, 02:04 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Wow,

Looks good! Are you going to release plans?

Thanks! Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Dec 08, 2008, 06:09 AM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,386 Posts
Joshua, like the others have stated, that is one purrrrrrrrrty bird. Very good job on the finish also. What did you cover her with (FG, balsa, can't be monokote)? Also, if you're going to go with the MG, might I suggest you take a look at the HS-85s as they are the digital partner of the HS-82's. I've done this with a couple of my applications and just love them (the latest being my 500 heli). Again, GREAT job!
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old Dec 08, 2008, 06:37 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Thats very nice indeed, congratulations, always good to see something new.

The shape puts me in mind of something?
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 06:55 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,839 Posts
Josh, that's very cool. I think you will be seeing a lot of people cutting back on expenditures in the hobby and elsewere. We have have a few guys in our club who want to get involved in edf and i have been working on a budget 90mm setup using the Midifan-Pro. Your design is different and not a bad looking jet. Good luck... Doug
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:13 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bateman
Josh, that's very cool. I think you will be seeing a lot of people cutting back on expenditures in the hobby and elsewere. We have have a few guys in our club who want to get involved in edf and i have been working on a budget 90mm setup using the Midifan-Pro. Your design is different and not a bad looking jet. Good luck... Doug
But dont worry to much, just cos the money aint moving around so much, it dont mean its not still there. Just going to take a bit of time to recover everyones confidence.

Hope your Dad sorts things soon Josh, at least he is making cost effective use of his time
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 08:50 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Watts
Thats very nice indeed, congratulations, always good to see something new.

The shape puts me in mind of something?
I dunno about that takeoff attitude. What kind of thrust do you think the MiniFan puts out on 900 watts? 2.5lbs... maybe 3? I'll have to use a couple rockets for assistance...
Old Dec 09, 2008, 01:33 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Nice Javelin!
I am leaning to build the testplane of the real Javelin for a long time

As for vertical... I have seen a full fibre 70mm F16 flying 80degrees high alfa and do vertical with a 16/15/3 on 4 cells. That is about 350W. My Piranha goes vertical as well with an Axi outrunner on 4 cells@30A. Build it a tad under 700grams and you'll be in the game! (I am in doubt to proto build a full fibre tamjets sized F16 for 90mm edf. Estimated weight is 1600gr@2300gr thrust )
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Dec 13, 2008, 08:26 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by missle
Joshua, like the others have stated, that is one purrrrrrrrrty bird. Very good job on the finish also. What did you cover her with (FG, balsa, can't be monokote)? Also, if you're going to go with the MG, might I suggest you take a look at the HS-85s as they are the digital partner of the HS-82's. I've done this with a couple of my applications and just love them (the latest being my 500 heli). Again, GREAT job!
Thank you for the recomendation on the HS-85, I've decided to run the HS-85MG. As for the finish it is monokote... well, its Aero-Film, but not fiberglass, just good old iron on covering!

-Joshua