HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:14 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Finally Finished With my P51D - Here it is! - How did yours turn out?

I have finally finished my GWS P51D! the construction is complete but I am still waiting on my receiver & Pack from Allerc.com but I already have the servos (They go in tomorrow). I used some Testors Red Model paint to color the Tail & Wingtips & Testros Semi-Gloss Black Paint over the Hood. here is how I will bwe flying mine:
Stock Motor - 9x7 GWS Prop - 8 cell 800 Mah AAA Nimh Pack - GWS ICS100 Speed Controller - GWS R6N FM Receiver.

*Does this little magnet ACTUALLY Hold thecanopy on, I can barely feel magnt & it appear is would fall off with a good wind,I am tempted to rubber band the rear or the canopy assembly down so I KNOW it won't go anywhere.

I will carefully experiment with the CG Placement & I assume that I need to turn this plane upside down to check the CG?

-Here is a Pic-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:22 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I was going thru my Decal Box that I have collected over the years & found a Decal of a Warthog. Actually, I can't decide whether it's a Warthog or a Wild Boar, what do you think it is?
It was about the right size so I stuck one on each side of the cowling, I figure I can put a Name to the left of it, Maybe "Red" or "FullBoar" or "Fang" - Any suggestions? Any good names that have come out of the Air Force A10 squadrons?

P.S. - I may save some of these for the GWS A10 when it come out, I have like (8) of them so may be giving some away.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:28 PM
Registered boozer
davis, ca.
Joined Sep 2002
493 Posts
that is a nice looking plane. i can see the care you have taken to assemble it. my buddy took the same care when he built his. i think i saw a tear in his eye when he wadded it on the first toss. i think cg is CRITICAL with this plane. is the ics100 a 5 amp esc? your motor/prop combo will probably pull 7 or more amps. check the gws or aeromicro website for specs. are there functional retracts on that? looks good. good luck!!!!
corndog is offline Find More Posts by corndog
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:44 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
37 Posts
canopy magnet

Nice job!

A quick word - I broke both the fuse and the wing of my mustang in half today, and just now finished gluing it back together. It didn't take long, and the seam is barely visible! So if gremlins bite while flying the little beastie, all is not lost - Just delayed! See Carlos' post about old yeller for fixing inspiration!

Make sure your magnet is in actual contact with the metal plate, and not held off by even a fraction of a millimetre. Mine was not in actual contact, and my first flight was without canopy, as it flew off at the first toss.

Chris
icewindblue is offline Find More Posts by icewindblue
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:52 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Chris:
There does seem to be some Foam friction somewhere so, you may be right, It's possible that the Magnet & plate aren't actually touching. Even so I nay wrap a rubber of band or thread aound the back as a safety precaution. I will try a little light sanding on the unpainted foam on the bottom of the canopy & see if I can get a better fit.

-Mike-
Old Mar 01, 2003, 06:54 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Congrats ! Very good looking P-51D !

Wonderful ! Congrats!

Enjoy and keep her in the Air!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 01, 2003, 08:16 AM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
I had the same problem with my canopy. By pushing down the foam where the canopy and fuse meet I was able to make a good contact for the magnet.

Sean
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:23 AM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
That looks terrific. Shame to fly it, really

WRT to the speed control, I've used an ICS100 (because it was all I had) to drive a 300 motor pulling about 7 amps, and it didn't seem to mind. It might be worth heatsinking it, though.
alterego is offline Find More Posts by alterego
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:48 AM
Tulsa,Ok
Joined Jan 2003
248 Posts
mrebman

That hog is an Arkansas Razorback
mcart1956 is offline Find More Posts by mcart1956
Old Mar 01, 2003, 10:15 AM
detroit michigan metro area
Joined Aug 2002
83 Posts
hee hee

a name??
why not put the 2 ideas you had together..something like "boar red to death"??
singnplayguy is offline Find More Posts by singnplayguy
Old Mar 01, 2003, 12:11 PM
Raptors Rule.....
Azle Texas
Joined Feb 2002
106 Posts
Since you asked....

Great looking stang!!! I'll bet you can't wait to fly it.

A suggestion....run a 2040 2s2p kokam in it...you'll love it! On the cg thing...I've got mine at 6mm in front of the spar and it is a joy to fly. I had it forward (up to 3/4'' at one point) and it flew like a sled....landed very hot but I was also running 600 mah AA Nicads in it.

Testors is great stuff on these models. I used it extesively...
brent347 is offline Find More Posts by brent347
Old Mar 01, 2003, 12:13 PM
Raptors Rule.....
Azle Texas
Joined Feb 2002
106 Posts
one more

I love invasion stripes....
Old Mar 01, 2003, 04:35 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Brent:
How much does your Kokam 2040 2S2P pack weigh? How dies it fit in the Mustang's battery bay?

I was thinking of doing a Qualcomm Lithium Ion Pack for the stang but the Kokams look real tempting!

-Mike-
Old Mar 01, 2003, 10:28 PM
Raptors Rule.....
Azle Texas
Joined Feb 2002
106 Posts
mrebman,

The kokam pack weighs 3.08 oz. the stock 6 cell 600 mah nicd pack weighed 4.79 oz. Much better power, lighter, and 25 minutes duration...I love it. You have to remove a little foam from the front and top of the battery bay but it's not a big deal. Here's a shot under trhe hood....
Old Mar 01, 2003, 10:31 PM
Raptors Rule.....
Azle Texas
Joined Feb 2002
106 Posts
Pack all the way forward.