HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:38 PM
Master of Flying Wings......
Joined Jul 2008
492 Posts
Discussion
Flying Wing ROLL RATES ( Aspect Ratios???

well its me again :P.

just pondering online about flying wings

so i have the knowledge to know that a high aspect ratio ( like the dash airplane). have slow roll rates, while the thick wings have high ones????

i am a fanatic about flying wings, but the designing for a specific purpose is getting me flusterd. How or where can i learn to FULL BLOWN DESIGN an rc wing

i dont want to pay for books or any other crap

just where can i learn it

i was looking at the wing area and wing loading crap and i had never had to dial that in before, but i think it must be important?????????

just give me some advice

im 14, building wings, need some help!!!!!!!

I am also very good at mathematics, if the processes of designing call for them!!!
flyingwing12 is offline Find More Posts by flyingwing12
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2008, 05:39 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Just keep in mind what your calling crap is the stuff that designing a wing is done with..

I understand your 14 so some of it is coming from there but with your question posed as i don't want to look at the crap and i don't want to spend anything to learn so just show me is not going to get you much help around here.

My advice

Change your attitude and re-ask the question like an adult.

At 14 I was impatient to but i used a little respect when i did not know something and was asking some one for help.

Your asking us to tell you something we spent time to learn put the time in and learn it right.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Dec 06, 2008, 06:12 PM
Speed King
Orange County
Joined Sep 2007
414 Posts
New Attitude, man

Just try some stuff and buy a cheap trainer.
seriously get a new attitude.
I've built 4 flying wings, a depron plane, and a balsa plane, and have bought 3 other planes.
Build it and see if it flys.
if not, post ur info like wing area electronics, and weight and ask questions here and people are always kind and willing to help.
If ur gonna do flying wings, do glide tests for cg and then add electronics.
Buy some cheap stuff on hobbycity/hobbyking/UH or whatever they are called today.
U gotta spend some money on this but every penny u put into trying to fly pays off in experience.
also, invest in a good radio with mixing and travel adjustments as this will make a flying wing waaaay more controllable.
This is coming from a 16 year old, so i know what its like not wanting to spend a ton of money on an expensive hobby.

Best of luck

JPP

PS: Occupation: flywing wing desighner
might need to change that for people to take u seriously.
Idriveaboxster is offline Find More Posts by Idriveaboxster
Old Dec 06, 2008, 07:38 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,162 Posts
Read all of these: http://www.b2streamlines.com/OTW.html
If you still want more it'll cost you a couple hundred bucks and several years of your life
nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Dec 06, 2008, 09:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
492 Posts
sorry guys :}/

just was in a frustrated mood. parents are giving me trouble. im ok now, but im not calling it crap, im just saying is there an easy way to do this!??
Old Dec 06, 2008, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2008
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriveaboxster
Just try some stuff and buy a cheap trainer.
seriously get a new attitude.
I've built 4 flying wings, a depron plane, and a balsa plane, and have bought 3 other planes.
Build it and see if it flys.
if not, post ur info like wing area electronics, and weight and ask questions here and people are always kind and willing to help.
If ur gonna do flying wings, do glide tests for cg and then add electronics.
Buy some cheap stuff on hobbycity/hobbyking/UH or whatever they are called today.
U gotta spend some money on this but every penny u put into trying to fly pays off in experience.
also, invest in a good radio with mixing and travel adjustments as this will make a flying wing waaaay more controllable.
This is coming from a 16 year old, so i know what its like not wanting to spend a ton of money on an expensive hobby.

Best of luck

JPP

PS: Occupation: flywing wing desighner
might need to change that for people to take u seriously.
i have an awesome radio by futaba, actually 3 of them , an old friend gave me 1000 bucks of equipment, but yeah im not usually this bad in attitude, i was just having an off day

no harm done!
Old Dec 06, 2008, 09:24 PM
Joined Jul 2008
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
Just keep in mind what your calling crap is the stuff that designing a wing is done with..

I understand your 14 so some of it is coming from there but with your question posed as i don't want to look at the crap and i don't want to spend anything to learn so just show me is not going to get you much help around here.

My advice

Change your attitude and re-ask the question like an adult.

At 14 I was impatient to but i used a little respect when i did not know something and was asking some one for help.

Your asking us to tell you something we spent time to learn put the time in and learn it right.
\

im sorry!> i was having a bad day!

but yeah i know how to desighn one, and i am up for whatever it takes to improve the knowledge!,

dont take my bad attitude to seriously, i was just a big cranky
Old Dec 07, 2008, 01:18 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
we all have bad days and if you were to read all my posts you would see i have more than most folks..

So what are your design criteria

1) speed
2) area to fly in
3) avaliable funds

These are the basics to getting you going in the rigth direction..

Im not one of those that say read the ****in manual... so if you have some basic questions to help us get where your at and really just how much you do know then we can see if we can post some direct information.

PS.

Keep in mind when your folks are busting your chops for something it is not fun for them iether..

Do what they say when thay say it get good grades in school get a part time job if you can and most of all have fun 14 is too young to have a public bad attitude..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Dec 07, 2008, 02:50 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwing12
How or where can i learn to FULL BLOWN DESIGN an rc wing

i dont want to pay for books or any other crap

just where can i learn it
That's a pretty broad question. The OTW archive that I linked to yesterday is the single largest source of flying wing info available on the net. There are some good books that you can get through inter-library loan but you can't keep them long enough to get a real understanding of the subject. I have listed some other web sites of interest on my links page

--Norm
nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters