HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Ok, thanks. I can't make it to the WRAM show though. Will it be at the Weak Signals Show?

-joker
Well, when you wrote that we were driving home from WRAM. There will be kits at the show in the National Balsa booth. I probably won't be building any 3mm Depron versions as transportation would be an issue. The EPP can take the bounce packed in a trailer better.

It was a good show. The 10 RTF Yaks I took were gone in the first 4 hours. Wish I had had more notice that I would be going. It looks like Toledo, SEFF and Joe Nall on on the the immediate calendar
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:23 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,230 Posts
Wow, they sell fast! But that is not surprising...... Also, I will look for the National Balsa Booth.

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:40 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Wow, they sell fast! But that is not surprising...... Also, I will look for the National Balsa Booth.

-joker
and there will be 3mm Depron kits, there just won't be 3mm depron ones prebuilt. I'll have the completers available also. It was fun meeting all the guys that stopped by the booth over the weekend
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
What's the consensus on a Welders replacement since it's now really hard to find? My wife sent me to Michaels for some E6000. I tried some on a test piece of EPP and it looks fine. A little thicker than epp. I did a search and folks seem to like it, the last post was back in 2010.

thanks,
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
AND...are they phasing out the old red tube for the new white tube? Welders that is...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:09 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
What's the consensus on a Welders replacement since it's now really hard to find? My wife sent me to Michaels for some E6000. I tried some on a test piece of EPP and it looks fine. A little thicker than epp. I did a search and folks seem to like it, the last post was back in 2010.

thanks,
Rob
Though I've only found it in town once, I have no trouble getting it at all - amazon.com. One-click buy and in three or four days I have it.
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
Yeah I saw that there and that's not a bad price, free shipping, I got a 6 pak and noticed I had some Amazon points and I used some. So mostly free.

thanks,
Rob
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

thanks,
Rob
UHU is going to be tough also. I have about a case left. Beacon Adhesives has Foam-Tac and I'll be offering that and using it for my builds. I've used it before and it works fine. it was created specifically to address the UHU/Welders users and has a formula that passes the restrictions that are causing Welders and UHU to be unavailable
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:44 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
600 Posts
When I started building out of EPP early last summer I followed the recommendation to use Welders which worked very well. However, in the last couple of months the Welders has started to turn yellow on those seams and get brittle. The yellowing took over six months to manifest and I never left those planes exposed to sunlight except when out flying them.

I've ordered some Foam Tac (despite the higher cost) and am going to try that, unfortunately I won't really know about U/V driven yellowing for at least six months. Foam Tac seems to have slightly changed their formula in the last couple of months. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the previous Foam Tac formula yellowing (or not) over a period of six months or more?
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
How do you keep your foam tac nozzle from getting clogged up?
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:34 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
783 Posts
I used E6000 for years because it was easy to find and inexpensive. It is much thicker (which I don't like), does not dry as fast, but does not yellow like Welders.

I'm lucky enough to have found a local source for Welders through one of our small hardware stores (City Peoples Merchantile). They say they order it through Ace, but I've never seen welders at any of our other hardware stores that use Ace.

But now I've found one that I actually like better called Quick Grips, which (like Foam Tac) is also from Beacon. I don't know what success others will have finding it, but in the Seattle area it can be found at TAP Plastics, and according to the Beacon website at Sherwin Williams paint stores. It costs about four times as much (one tube is twice as much as the two pack of welders). So far (been using it for a year or so) it does not yellow like the welders, it is a bit thinner than welders, it seems to dry a little quicker, and I like the tube better than the Foam Tac bottle.

They all seem to be easy to find on line, but it can sure be nice to know a local source, when you just need some right now!
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markran View Post
When I started building out of EPP early last summer I followed the recommendation to use Welders which worked very well. However, in the last couple of months the Welders has started to turn yellow on those seams and get brittle. The yellowing took over six months to manifest and I never left those planes exposed to sunlight except when out flying them.

I've ordered some Foam Tac (despite the higher cost) and am going to try that, unfortunately I won't really know about U/V driven yellowing for at least six months. Foam Tac seems to have slightly changed their formula in the last couple of months. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the previous Foam Tac formula yellowing (or not) over a period of six months or more?
We have been using and selling foam Tac for over 6 months now on EPP as well as depron. I placed a glue hinge in direct sunlight as well as heat ... on the dash of my car ... there was Zero discoloration and no degradation of the glue hinge.

GM
WMParkFlyers.com
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:42 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse View Post
I used E6000 for years because it was easy to find and inexpensive. It is much thicker (which I don't like), does not dry as fast, but does not yellow like Welders.

I'm lucky enough to have found a local source for Welders through one of our small hardware stores (City Peoples Merchantile). They say they order it through Ace, but I've never seen welders at any of our other hardware stores that use Ace.

But now I've found one that I actually like better called Quick Grips, which (like Foam Tac) is also from Beacon. I don't know what success others will have finding it, but in the Seattle area it can be found at TAP Plastics, and according to the Beacon website at Sherwin Williams paint stores. It costs about four times as much (one tube is twice as much as the two pack of welders). So far (been using it for a year or so) it does not yellow like the welders, it is a bit thinner than welders, it seems to dry a little quicker, and I like the tube better than the Foam Tac bottle.

They all seem to be easy to find on line, but it can sure be nice to know a local source, when you just need some right now!
Yeah, the Beacon guys at WRAM were suggesting Quick Grips also. I have a tube that I got from Michael's craft store a while back but I never opened it to try it since I had a good supply of UHU
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:57 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,778 Posts
I've been using Quick Grips from Wal-Mart. Seems very similar to UHU - I'm down to my last tube of that!
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
I've been using Quick Grips from Wal-Mart. Seems very similar to UHU - I'm down to my last tube of that!
Michael's at Rt146 and grab one of their 40% off 1 item coupons from their website. Got my Byper!! WRAM Delivery
RCG Plus Member