SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:37 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
You must live a charmed life, because white GG certainly stains my fingers a dark greenish brown, despite the fact that it starts out clear and "dries" white.

Yes, it does dry quite a bit faster than the dark GG. About an hour usually does it nicely.
I have found that Sig dope thinner takes it off my fingers. Took a while to find something to remove it.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:09 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I have found that Sig dope thinner takes it off my fingers. Took a while to find something to remove it.
Thanks for that tip, Jim. I'll have to see it to believe it, though (no offense meant,) as the stain seems to be a "stain" and not glue residue. I hope you're right and I'm wrong!
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:09 PM
JT2
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2110 View Post
I built a nice 30" Yak from Dollar Tree foam. With paper removed and only single layer it came out to 130g AUW. Thanks Leadfeather for starting this build guide.
My next build is going to be a 38" full fuse w/airfoil wing. Pictures and video soon.
[/URL]
Nice!!

Do you have any tips on reinforcing the DTF build?

I am planning of try to build one of these, and LeadFeathers post had recommended multiple layers.

Would love to see some detailed pictures....
JT2 is offline Find More Posts by JT2
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:18 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
Thanks for that tip, Jim. I'll have to see it to believe it, though (no offense meant,) as the stain seems to be a "stain" and not glue residue. I hope you're right and I'm wrong!
no offense taken. The can is still on my bench and it just says Thinner in a blue stripe and says it's for "Supercoat Lite Coat and Nitrate Dope". This is probably 20 years old from when I was using silkspan and dope. YMMV
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:11 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2 View Post
Nice!!

Do you have any tips on reinforcing the DTF build?

I am planning of try to build one of these, and LeadFeathers post had recommended multiple layers.

Would love to see some detailed pictures....
I used a 24" 3 mm carbon tube on the wing and 1.5 mm carbon rod on fuse.
boa2110 is online now Find More Posts by boa2110
Last edited by boa2110; Feb 05, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:40 PM
United States, VA, Culpeper
Joined Dec 2012
234 Posts
So I made one of these yak55's yesterday and every thing came out perfectly . I haven't flown it yet seeing as I'm waiting on my power setup to arrive but I got a little bored today and made quite a few changes. The most noticeable being the decreased size of the fuselage and I wrapped it with foam to give it a more realistic look, still lots of work to be done too.

As you can see I also left the rear of the fuselage open; since I plan on using a rather small prop on this plane I figured it would be best for the extra airflow, especially for rudder / elevator control and cooling the electronics. I'm hoping to use it as more of a mid speed backyard 3d flyer.
live2rc is offline Find More Posts by live2rc
Last edited by live2rc; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:49 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,647 Posts
live2rc, looking great, anxious to see the finished plane.

boa, good work with the dtf (dollar tree foam). How much does the finished plane weigh?

Slightly more expensive than dtf (but also higher quality, and no paper) but cheaper and more resilient than Depron is the MPF foam. I also like the large size of the sheets. I think the MPF is a really good way to go. If you can do a group buy than the cash layout for a box won't break the bank.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:24 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
The latest 3mm Depron prototype. This shows the air brakes and tiplets... and the incredible painting skills of the guys that have been building them. If the approaching snow storm allows it, I will get some video of this flying friday
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:40 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
The latest 3mm Depron prototype. This shows the air brakes and tiplets... and the incredible painting skills of the guys that have been building them. If the approaching snow storm allows it, I will get some video of this flying friday
Nice! Had to do a double check on the pilot. Thought it was Darth Vader.

Hope to see some video of it.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,668 Posts
Quote:
I like the way the tiplets look in the air, kinda like a TIE fighter.

A couple days ago I flew my EPP YAK, without the tiplets, and was surprised by how squirrelly it was. It could also be the light weight or the flat airfoil causing the problem, I'm not sure yet, but when we get a good long stretch of flying weather again I'll find out.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:55 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
Quote:
Sharp coreman. How long before a video ?
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:24 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Sharp coreman. How long before a video ?
We have a 4 hour indoor session on Fridays (10am-2pm) and it is supposed to be there but we also have a "historic storm" (12"-24"+ of snow) arriving Friday morning so it will all depend on how early the storm hits. In either case, if not this week then the next. I will have my camera in either case and if I get video, it should get posted saturday.

From the national weather service this morning:
... WINTER STORM WATCH UPGRADED TO A BLIZZARD WATCH... IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.
Good thing we'll be indoors!!

BTW: This isn't my building and painting skills, this is one of the local guys with a prototype kit I had him test build. He decided to go above and beyond
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Nice! Had to do a double check on the pilot. Thought it was Darth Vader.

Hope to see some video of it.
I hadn't really thought about it but it does kind of look like Darth Vader now that you mention it... Maybe Jim's video should have some Star Wars music playing in the background..
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:47 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
I hadn't really thought about it but it does kind of look like Darth Vader now that you mention it... Maybe Jim's video should have some Star Wars music playing in the background..
Wayne is the pilot/artist so heap praise on him, not me. he and peter will be the pilots in the video. I will fly the camcorder! Maybe I'll just use heavy breathing??
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:57 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Hey everyone. I just found my Yak that I completely forgot about. Bought it a couple years ago probably and still haven't taken it out of the bag that it was shipped in. Would anyone like to buy it from me? I am trying to sell a few things that I obviously haven't needed recently. I can post a pic but I am telling you that it has never been pulled out of the bag. Nothing is missing. Let me know.
Thanks
Tyson
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn