SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:20 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
You're not having problems landing on astroturf?

I cut the bottom of my rudder down too, on the Pak Yak. Later on I took off the landing gear altogether. I looked at replacing the wire with carbon but the weight would only come down by about half. The carbon wouldn't work half as well outdoors though.

I'm surprised no one is doing a single center gear, with thin carbon outriggers on the wings, like on the old Stick It's.
it's pretty worn turf so it's not too bad. Even with the nickel sized wheels it will ROG and taxi ok. The landing skeg I added to the original design keeps the rudder clear without the gear but there was a need to trim the rudder once the gear was added. I added the skeg specifically because the rudder hinges were getting repeatedly torn out
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:58 PM
JT2
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
How to evenly glue DTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Good advice.

I haven't built a Yak from Dollar Tree foam but if I were going to here is what I would do:

Remove paper skin
Double and triple up on the vulnerable bits. Double layer on wing, not aileron.Triple layer on lower nose back top the cg, double layer on side nose pieces, triple layer on upper nose back to the wing. All else single layer.
2s battery for light weight indoor or zero wind outdoor flying; 370 to 450 mAh.
3s battery for outdoor flying 450 to 600 mAh.
5 gram servos for tail, Single 9 gram for ailerons
1500 kV 2730 motor

Good luck with your build!
This is a quote from quite a few pages back....

I too would like to build one of these from DTF.

Whats the best way to double and triple layer Dollar Tree foam? What type of glue is best, and how to spread it evenly?

Also, what do you use to colorize DTF? Paint, marker, something else?
JT2 is offline Find More Posts by JT2
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:29 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2 View Post
This is a quote from quite a few pages back....

I too would like to build one of these from DTF.

Whats the best way to double and triple layer Dollar Tree foam? What type of glue is best, and how to spread it evenly?

Also, what do you use to colorize DTF? Paint, marker, something else?
The two methods I use both involve using spray glue to laminate this type of foam.

Method 1) Light mist of glue on mating pieces. Align very carfully because this is contact cement. I try to have one alignment edge and leave extr foam on one of the layer that can be trimmed for a perfect match.

Method 2) Heavier layer of glue on one piece only, push pieces together quickly. You have a few seconds to adjust the alignment using this method. Be careful not to load on way too much glue because this will leave enough solvent on the foam to start disolving the foam.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:14 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
793 Posts
I've built a bunch of planes from DTF. I use a very thin coat of GG on one piece, then mist the other with water. This gives you a few minutes to move things around. You do need to weight or clamp until the bond is good. The main thing to watch is that the pieces don't "skate" out of position.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:50 PM
JT2
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
more questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
The two methods I use both involve using spray glue to laminate this type of foam.

Method 1) Light mist of glue on mating pieces. Align very carfully because this is contact cement. I try to have one alignment edge and leave extr foam on one of the layer that can be trimmed for a perfect match.

Method 2) Heavier layer of glue on one piece only, push pieces together quickly. You have a few seconds to adjust the alignment using this method. Be careful not to load on way too much glue because this will leave enough solvent on the foam to start disolving the foam.
What type of spray glue do you use Leadfeather?

Ombudsman, more details on using GG? Is that the expanding stuff in a spray can? How do you spread it around to get a even, thin coat? (my experiences with GG have never been very positive, as it seems to get EVERYWHERE you don't want it!)
JT2 is offline Find More Posts by JT2
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:57 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,576 Posts
Quote:

Ombudsman, more details on using GG? Is that the expanding stuff in a spray can? How do you spread it around to get a even, thin coat? (my experiences with GG have never been very positive, as it seems to get EVERYWHERE you don't want it!)
I've used a couple of different brands; 3M77, Loctite... I can make them all work. They may have different consistencies, so always practice spraying a little before coating the real pieces.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:33 PM
Tucson AZ
Joined Oct 2003
81 Posts
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydo View Post
okay.... I will try to get some video this weekend.

Willydo
Here is a flying video from earlier today. Two 4.6 mah batteries -

oak fly 1 2013 (0 min 54 sec)
willydo is offline Find More Posts by willydo
Last edited by willydo; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Add video link
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:20 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
793 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I use the foaming white Gorilla Glue. It does not come in a spray can. It comes in plastic bottles. I apply it here and there and spread it thinly with a scrap of balsa or whatever. It isn't necessary to cover every square inch of large surfaces. As you probably know, it does foam out. If you use a very thin coat, this is minimal. In any case, it's easy to trim or simply pull off the dried excess.

Spray adhesive would undoubtedly be easier, but there is that "only one chance" aspect...

Dave

P.S. You probably know that water is required to "kick" GG. Also that GG stains human skin with an almost tattoo-like longevity.
Last edited by ombudsman; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:17 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,576 Posts
I wonder if there is a suitable thinner for Gorilla Glue? My GG laminations have always come out on the heavy side...I can never get the glue on as thin as I would like.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:34 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
P.S. You probably know that water is required to "kick" GG. Also that GG stains human skin with an almost tattoo-like longevity.
I hated the staining, so I switched to white GG. It holds as well (at least for my purposes), doesn't stain and I think it even dries a little faster.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:16 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2012
365 Posts
I built a nice 30" Yak from Dollar Tree foam. With paper removed and only single layer it came out to 130g AUW. Thanks Leadfeather for starting this build guide.
My next build is going to be a 38" full fuse w/airfoil wing. Pictures and video soon.

yak (2 min 12 sec)
boa2110 is online now Find More Posts by boa2110
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
My yak!
Weight 190gr.
yak 55 odessa (1 min 51 sec)
jamse007 is offline Find More Posts by jamse007
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:21 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,576 Posts
007; Yak looking good! That red paint scheme shows up very well.

boa, very nice! Your Yak looks very worthy of a bit of paint. Looking forward to the full fuse airfoil build!!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:23 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
I hated the staining, so I switched to white GG. It holds as well (at least for my purposes), doesn't stain and I think it even dries a little faster.
You must live a charmed life, because white GG certainly stains my fingers a dark greenish brown, despite the fact that it starts out clear and "dries" white.

Yes, it does dry quite a bit faster than the dark GG. About an hour usually does it nicely.
Last edited by ombudsman; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydo View Post
Here is a flying video from earlier today. Two 4.6 mah batteries
Im not seeing the video link Willy... where is it?

*edit* got it Willy, nice video
trumpy959 is offline Find More Posts by trumpy959
Last edited by trumpy959; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:13 AM.