SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:17 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,235 Posts
Hey guys, I am still intently following the thread, but I just wanted to say that I saw a beautiful scratchbuilt ultra micro skeletonized LF Yak at our club's indoor, it flew very nicely, but I was unable to get any pics or video. Looked to be out of 3mm depron and braced with 1mm carbon fiber. Thought it would interest some of you.

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:53 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Hey guys, I am still intently following the thread, but I just wanted to say that I saw a beautiful scratchbuilt ultra micro skeletonized LF Yak at our club's indoor, it flew very nicely, but I was unable to get any pics or video. Looked to be out of 3mm depron and braced with 1mm carbon fiber. Thought it would interest some of you.

-joker
Must see pics and videos. Who's plane was it?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:40 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Looking forward to the video!

I used a slightly smaller Hacker motor on my light Yak. It is a little more spendy but a very good motor. I'll try to find a link.

Motor link

Any video of your Crunchy Yaks?
I got video today and will process and post it later on. The latest version wasn't there today but you can still see the floaty aspects
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:57 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Must see pics and videos. Who's plane was it?
Again, I did not have my camera with me, so I didnt get any pics/video. I do not know whose plane it was........but I will try to get more info/pics/video on the 5th, which is the next indoor.

-joker

BTW, the 3rd is my birthday, I asked for some cash, I may be able to order some foam, but.............. currently I am saving up for 2013 Weak Signals. Been going there ever since I found out about it, 2011, and I hope to keep it up.
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:39 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
BTW, the 3rd is my birthday, I asked for some cash, I may be able to order some foam, but.............. currently I am saving up for 2013 Weak Signals. Been going there ever since I found out about it, 2011, and I hope to keep it up.
I may be going this year for the first time. If so, you'll have to stop and say hi.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:21 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,986 Posts
I will be there as well.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:50 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I will be there as well.
Mike
I look forward to meeting you in person Mike!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:40 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I got video today and will process and post it later on. The latest version wasn't there today but you can still see the floaty aspects
Cool, looking forward to seeing it fly.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:51 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Cool, looking forward to seeing it fly.
Here you go. The second generation ones weren't available to video this week. The tiplets and air brakes made a difference. The "paint" used was sharpies. They look really good on Depron and weigh very little. Scott used a Cobra motor for his build. I'm not sure which one but they seem to be nice solid motors although a little higher in price. The other guys used 2204-14T motors that were just under $10 at Hobby King International with good success. This is a non-milled airframe running 138g without battery

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:36 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Here you go. The second generation ones weren't available to video this week. The tiplets and air brakes made a difference. The "paint" used was sharpies. They look really good on Depron and weigh very little. Scott used a Cobra motor for his build. I'm not sure which one but they seem to be nice solid motors although a little higher in price. The other guys used 2204-14T motors that were just under $10 at Hobby King International with good success. This is a non-milled airframe running 138g without battery

Very nice! I love the way the light builds float around so slowly...almost defying gravity.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Ombudsman's tiplets?
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:34 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Very nice! I love the way the light builds float around so slowly...almost defying gravity.
The downlines are just as slow. The only thing better is the variable pitch prop versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
Ombudsman's tiplets?
I don't know. We tacked on some that one of the guys had from Flying Giants just to test them. They are rounded triangles. The other thing added was landing gear that saves the nose but we needed to trim the bottom of the rudder for clearance. The amazing thing was the original prototypes from the other two guys got bashed together to be decommissioned and they survived surprisingly well with the carbon strip leading edges. more videos in the weeks to come
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Ombudsman's tips may or may not be the ideal shape.

How much does your gear weigh? Less than an EPP nose?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:29 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
Ombudsman's tips may or may not be the ideal shape.

How much does your gear weigh? Less than an EPP nose?
I think when Peter did his he used 1.3mm CF rod. The wheel mounts were something he scavenged from some long forgotten foamie. I'm looking to use 1.5mm as it makes a nice axle size and I feel a little better with it being bounced. Still working on that piece. He tied his into the LE CF strip and passed through some 3mm Depron doubler disks I had cut (I figured they worked well for the CF tail and wing bracing). They did trim the bottom of the rudder so they had ground clearance to avoid dragging it when landing/taking off. Even with the build in tail skid bump. There were three initial prototypes and they each did things a little differently which helped with the process. The second iteration included what we found that worked
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
You're not having problems landing on astroturf?

I cut the bottom of my rudder down too, on the Pak Yak. Later on I took off the landing gear altogether. I looked at replacing the wire with carbon but the weight would only come down by about half. The carbon wouldn't work half as well outdoors though.

I'm surprised no one is doing a single center gear, with thin carbon outriggers on the wings, like on the old Stick It's.