HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:13 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
nevermind. parents flipped when i asked to buy another plane. oh well.so much for a good 3d plane. the plane i got from HK that would "3d great!" flys freakin terrible. HK is just a bunch of lying a$$ holes.
That is all the more reason to go with the Yak 55. Buy some foam and a couple tools and start cutting. Build it as you can afford little by little and you will have a great flying airframe.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy959 View Post
me2... holy King Kong Batman. If there was ever a Yak attack I'd surely want that Yak watchin my back. I lie awake thinking of ways to make mine lighter but maybe droppin the big hammer could be fun too...
I tried my Sukhoi with two 330 3S packs in parallel (normally fly the YAK with one 330 3s pack). 328+ grams. It's no floater at that weight but it flies surprisingly tight and pretty loops. I was shocked when I saw it. I think the combination of more propwash over the elevator and the increased weight of the plane makes it want to stay in place and rotate around the CoG.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:35 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
I tried my Sukhoi with two 330 3S packs in parallel (normally fly the YAK with one 330 3s pack). 328+ grams. It's no floater at that weight but it flies surprisingly tight and pretty loops. I was shocked when I saw it. I think the combination of more propwash over the elevator and the increased weight of the plane makes it want to stay in place and rotate around the CoG.
Hey Rick,

That should make you feel better about your 230g "lead sled". I told you it was flying fine before you went all medieval on it trying to lighten it up. Just go fly!
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:02 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,384 Posts
Hey guys, on the 36" Yak . What size spar for the wing ?
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:39 AM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Hey Rick,

That should make you feel better about your 230g "lead sled". I told you it was flying fine before you went all medieval on it trying to lighten it up. Just go fly!
It was 227g on the day of its maiden and the first time you flew it in Auburn it weighed 213g. Last week I was able to shave it down to 202g and im still hoping for more this week with some strategic milling if i have the time. I added some colored shrink tubing in case any of my parts fall off so it wont be like "Honey I shrunk the Aileron Linkage" again. I'll bet thats a mistake many pilots make on there first indoor plane regarding the weight. The last time I flew before the Yak was with the KOMBAT 40 stump puller back in the day, weighing in around five pounds and if you strapped on a pipe it seemed to break free of earths gravity!

I understand the definition of a planes "AUW" and what it means but does that weight people give for comparison without the battery include the RX and the ESC?
trumpy959 is offline Find More Posts by trumpy959
Last edited by trumpy959; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Hey Rick,

I'm setting the Sukhoi up for wind flying. I wouldn't mind if my YAK were lighter for still air flying.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:03 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
I'm setting the Sukhoi up for wind flying. I wouldn't mind if my YAK were lighter for still air flying.
Well, the 6mm kit I make runs about 40g lighter (141g) without doing anything special. There are options.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:21 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Can you do the flicky maneuvers with something that has so much drag it dampens out any momentum that would carry a larger plane through the flips and snaps? I'm planning a Vyper Bype for the spring to get specifically that capability.
42" Byper? You should fly mine - flies very different than any of my other planes.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:29 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy959 View Post
snip...

I understand the definition of a planes "AUW" and what it means but does that weight people give for comparison without the battery include the RX and the ESC?
AUW is the total weight. Sometimes people will say AUW minus battery since the battery size can be changed. Often they will say auw including an xxx mAh 2s battery so you know how much weight the battery accounts for. You would normally include the esc, Rx, and all other components when quoting an auw.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:38 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
42" Byper? You should fly mine - flies very different than any of my other planes.
Yeah, there is a red one in my future
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Well, the 6mm kit I make runs about 40g lighter (141g) without doing anything special. There are options.
Sure but I'm starting to have planes like Kirk has Tribbles.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:48 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Sure but I'm starting to have planes like Kirk has Tribbles.
Yeah, I have a prototype graveyard that is scary. I try not to let the family in the shop to see it. And I just can't crush them all up. Lots of times I will resurrect one to try something on
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:43 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I have a prototype graveyard that is scary. I try not to let the family in the shop to see it. And I just can't crush them all up. Lots of times I will resurrect one to try something on
I seem to have the same issue. I used to know how many planes and kits I had... now I am afraid to count them all.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:46 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
I seem to have the same issue. I used to know how many planes and kits I had... now I am afraid to count them all.
Yeah, it's sad. And then there is the issue of actually repairing and getting out to fly. By scheduling the 4 hour indoor session I actually HAVE to take the time to go fly which helps. And I go near the pile to scavenge something and all I hear is Johnny 5 saying "Do not disassemble"

My legacy to my kids will be selling off the NIB kits I seem to have accumulated over the 40+ years that never found building board space
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:16 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Hey guys, on the 36" Yak . What size spar for the wing ?
My best guess is a 4mm carbon tube would be a good choice.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather