SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:59 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
I made a few upgrades to my Yak. The busted up 1/16" ply F3P firewall was swapped out for 1/8" ply. I made a couple of nose dives into the ground today just to be sure it was working - no damage at all! It even sounds different in the air. So that was totally worth doing.

I also completely redid the aileron horns and linkages, replacing the lightweight F3P style stuff. I made long 1/16" ply aileron horns, a 1/16" ply servo horn, carbon rods that are three times thicker and thicker end links. I made four flights in still air today and could not tell the difference.
A gram of prevention is worth an ounce of glue repairs!
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:28 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,666 Posts
It's amusing to see an airplane nose bounce off the ground. We're going to have to retire "Build to fly not to crash."
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:29 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,430 Posts
Just cut out the foam for the 22" yak and the fuselage is 140mm or 1.4 cm short. Can't be right surely?
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
138 Posts
Adjusting the CG

Its almost time to launch Maverick on alert five ... but Im having some questions about the CG and my placement of the onboard components. Im between 7.75" and 8" from the front of the fuselage as described by LF in the 1st page of this thread. My 5 gram servos are very close to the aeileron servo but without the battery im still a little tail heavy. From the front of the plane to the wing spar is 7" so I have made a reference mark on the bottom of the wing at 7.875" splitting the difference and in these pictures with the plane balancing that is my CG pivot point. Once i put the battery on it is very sensitive and basically in the middle of the wing spar once the plane is balanced but I've read here in these forum's that I should be able to do that with no battery. I could actualy move the servos a tiny bit more forward if I had too but im also having to put the reciever and the ESC much farther forward than I had imagined. I also at this point dont have the tail linkage completely assembled but the carbon is lying on the plane where it will eventually be riding and also effects the balance and the CG. I was wondering if all of this looks to be ok and if making my final adjustment by moving the battery would be alright and close enough to get started?
trumpy959 is offline Find More Posts by trumpy959
Last edited by trumpy959; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:27 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,897 Posts
You can mount the components anywhere on the plane as long as the CG is correct. Having said that, if the components (most of the weight) is near the center of the plane then you will have a more responsive plane.
The reason for having it balance at the CG without the battery is that you can then use different weight batteries and they will all go in the same place at the CG.
If you find that you need to move the battery a little forward of the CG to get it to work out that is still ok.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:56 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
That kit should balance 1/4"-1/2" behind the spar with the 5g servos in the holes in front of the spar. I can't see it but do you have a prop installed? that would help a lot and it's going to be up there when you fly. My other thought/concern is that the tail got a little too much paint. The paint looks great, but it's deadly on the tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy959 View Post
Its almost time to launch Maverick on alert five ... but Im having some questions about the CG and my placement of the onboard components. Im between 7.75" and 8" from the front of the fuselage as described by LF in the 1st page of this thread. My 5 gram servos are very close to the aeileron servo but without the battery im still a little tail heavy. From the front of the plane to the wing spar is 7" so I have made a reference mark on the bottom of the wing at 7.875" splitting the difference and in these pictures with the plane balancing that is my CG pivot point. Once i put the battery on it is very sensitive and basically in the middle of the wing spar once the plane is balanced but I've read here in these forum's that I should be able to do that with no battery. I could actualy move the servos a tiny bit more forward if I had too but im also having to put the reciever and the ESC much farther forward than I had imagined. I also at this point dont have the tail linkage completely assembled but the carbon is lying on the plane where it will eventually be riding and also effects the balance and the CG. I was wondering if all of this looks to be ok and if making my final adjustment by moving the battery would be alright and close enough to get started?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,666 Posts
Quote:
Im between 7.75" and 8" from the front of the fuselage as described by LF in the 1st page of this thread
Mine balances between 8 1/2" and 8 3/4" and flies great. It does have a tendency to climb while inverted, but that won't keep you from a successful maiden.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:13 PM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
138 Posts
I understand the part about everything balancing out properly so I can have the flexibility of using different size batteries. There is a prop there thats not visibal in the picture and both servo's are mounted near the precut holes, one is just in front and the other just behind. The wires are going down through the hole's and I'll try repositioning the servo's tomorrow and see if I can make it better. I didnt think I had any more paint on there than some of the others I've seen but maybe your right, theres not much I can do about it now. It seemed like the battery was right over the middle of the spar when it balanced out and I was hoping that that would be ok. I was thinking that having the reciever in the front of the plane was not the best choice as far as crash protection goes but as long as its protected does it even matter?

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:22 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
The plane is so light there won't be anything "pile driving" the Rx into the ground so it all should be fine

Quote:
I understand the part about everything balancing out properly so I can have the flexibility of using different size batteries. There is a prop there thats not visibal in the picture and both servo's are mounted near the precut holes, one is just in front and the other just behind. The wires are going down through the hole's and I'll try repositioning the servo's tomorrow and see if I can make it better. I didnt think I had any more paint on there than some of the others I've seen but maybe your right, theres not much I can do about it now. It seemed like the battery was right over the middle of the spar when it balanced out and I was hoping that that would be ok. I was thinking that having the reciever in the front of the plane was not the best choice as far as crash protection goes but as long as its protected does it even matter?

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:22 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Plus, the OrangeRX R610 is only $5.99 anyways, so they are REALLY affordable. I have procrastinated............veerrrryyyy baddddd........for some reason I just cant find time to order EPP (I fly alot ) but it should only take a few minutes.........maybe now??????

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,666 Posts
Quote:
I didnt think I had any more paint on there than some of the others
What kind of paint is it?

Your equipment is all farther forward than mine (except the motor, which is in the same place). My battery is behind the CG too! You've got paint on the horizontal fuselage pieces which I don't have, but I've got stripes on the rudder, and I put the paint on fairly heavy. I can't account for how your plane isn't nose heavy.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:12 AM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
138 Posts
[QUOTE=Jack the R;23766802]What kind of paint is it?

I tried using an old Badger 250 paint sprayer but it just wasnt turning out well, so i went with some left over Rustolieum. I was hoping for a maiden this Friday but it all depends how productive I can be this morning when I get home from work.
Last edited by trumpy959; Jan 10, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:40 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,517 Posts
[QUOTE=trumpy959;23768915]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
What kind of paint is it?

I tried using an old Badger 250 paint sprayer but it just wasnt turning out well, so i went with some left over Rustolieum. I was hoping for a maiden this Friday but it all depends how productive I can be this morning when I get home from work.
Come down on friday and we'll get it sorted out. it's much easier in person anyway. I'm sure it will fly, we just need to tweak it some
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:57 AM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
138 Posts
[QUOTE=coreman;23769168]
Quote:

Come down on friday and we'll get it sorted out. it's much easier in person anyway. I'm sure it will fly, we just need to tweak it some
Thank's Jim thats kind of what I was hoping for at some point. If I cant be ready by tomorrow then definately next Friday for sure. The little pilot silliouette LF offers might be ridin in my Yak for its maiden and is freakn out right now listen too Little Richard... he cant wait

F-18 Hornet & Little Richard (2 min 3 sec)
Last edited by trumpy959; Jan 10, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:41 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,566 Posts
Quote:
Excellent looking paint job. Good luck on the maiden flight!
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather