HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:05 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Heh. I was just about to ask a question about a suppo motor, turns out already in discussion. I'm going to build a Yak55 - just a few questions. It's my first 3D build - and I'm not going to be the one flying it, but I know somebody that will.

The plane will me almost purely outdoor flight with little wind. Should I go with 6mm 1.3#, 9mm 1.3#, or some 1.9#? And whatever foam works for above-mentioned plane, would a Suppo 2204/14 turning its biggest prop work?

I bought the motor off of a guy's tool chest at a robotics competition today. It was originally in a robot as a fan to blow things around. I want to figure out what to do with it.
I would go with the 1.3# 9mm. The 6mm isn't going to be as sturdy for outdoors but it's great for indoors

Not familiar with the motor so I can't comment there
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,648 Posts
Quote:

The plane will me almost purely outdoor flight with little wind. Should I go with 6mm 1.3#, 9mm 1.3#, or some 1.9#? And whatever foam works for above-mentioned plane, would a Suppo 2204/14 turning its biggest prop work?.
The short answer is "yes," but you need the long answer.

I flew my Yak on the rebadged (I hate rebadging) BP Hobbies 2204/19, which is either the Suppo A2204/14 or the older, heavier, and less powerful 2204/19. BP calls it a 19 but it has a label on it saying "BL 2204/14." Who knows what it is . . .

Anyway, with an APC 8X3.8 it can fly my Yak around well, but not with endless vertical. I used 220 mah batteries though, which can't put out as many amps as the motor needs. I should have tried the 350's before putting the blue wonder on.

The Suppo will swing a 9X5, but good luck mounting one. You've got to swap out the screws in the prop adaptor for longer ones, and you've got to have an insert or something that will let the prop fit on the Suppo. The APC 8X3.8 comes with inserts for the prop, so it can be used on different size prop adaptors, but I don't think the insert the 8X3.8 came with is small enough either.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:38 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,449 Posts
For what it's worth we found the Hyperion prop saver to be a good fit to the hubs on the GWS 8040HD and 9050HD props. and the opposite side works well with hte GWS slow fly props. Much better than the default one that comes with the blue wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
The short answer is "yes," but you need the long answer.

I flew my Yak on the rebadged (I hate rebadging) BP Hobbies 2204/19, which is either the Suppo A2204/14 or the older, heavier, and less powerful 2204/19. BP calls it a 19 but it has a label on it saying "BL 2204/14." Who knows what it is . . .

Anyway, with an APC 8X3.8 it can fly my Yak around well, but not with endless vertical. I used 220 mah batteries though, which can't put out as many amps as the motor needs. I should have tried the 350's before putting the blue wonder on.

The Suppo will swing a 9X5, but good luck mounting one. You've got to swap out the screws in the prop adaptor for longer ones, and you've got to have an insert or something that will let the prop fit on the Suppo. The APC 8X3.8 comes with inserts for the prop, so it can be used on different size prop adaptors, but I don't think the insert the 8X3.8 came with is small enough either.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Has anyone been successful with that Suppo for unlimited 3D? I can step it up to the next Suppo motor if that one won't work. Just don't know.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone been successful with that Suppo for unlimited 3D? I can step it up to the next Suppo motor if that one won't work. Just don't know.
With a good 2S battery that can handle 8-10A and so long as the planes AUW is around 6oz or less the 2204 does well with an 8x4.3 prop. The 2204 with 3S and a 7035 prop will carry more weight. The next sized Suppo is the 2208 which is heavy for a 32" 3D plane.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
I'll order a 3S battery and some extra props just in case. I might need the batt anyway. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,648 Posts
I'm planning to try my Suppo on 3S with the 7035 prop (sure hope the 7035 fits!), but I'm concerned it could be a bad match, since that motor/prop combination makes max thrust at 33 mph.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
Back to the previous discussion about servo horns and arms, this is the arm set I always use, I find them perfect for this plane: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...sp60-6--DUB986
And as for a horn, I just use an old credit card cut into the proper shape.
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,648 Posts
There's no offset on the aileron horn
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,220 Posts
Quote:
I'm planning to try my Suppo on 3S with the 7035 prop (sure hope the 7035 fits!), but I'm concerned it could be a bad match, since that motor/prop combination makes max thrust at 33 mph.
7035 is a direct fit. I'm using that combo on a pusher GRX park jet, it slows down pretty good. I have yet to try it on a 3D plane.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,860 Posts
Quote:
You mention that you want to fly outdoors. The 2204 is a decent indoor motor but for outdoors where good vertical is nice the bluewonder is better. Also 3s will be better for outdoors. Again for indoor where weight is a bigger deal 2s can be good but....
My 2c.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Disappointing - I wish I could support some hobby shops I know that stock suppo lines. I guess I'm just gonna have to go bluewonder.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:31 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,377 Posts
I tried the Suppo way back in the beginning as did other guys I fly with. I think most (including me) ended up with the 1500 kV Blue Wonder as the preferred low cost motor. There are some other choices such as Hackers which are very good choices, but more spendy.

I do like that the Suppo has a built in motor mount and built in prop saver.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,648 Posts
I've seen ya'lls indoor flying areas on the YouTube. My outdoor site is smaller than your indoor sites.

I've been wanting to try a little prop jet though, maybe the Suppo will end up there. Nothing like a win-win situation.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:51 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
853 Posts
My 3 and 5 year old are expressing some interest in learning to fly now after wearing the little red button out. Anyone have an experience with any of the EPP trainers not 3d trainers. Not yet anyway. A pusher with glider wing and a fat airfoil would be ideal.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Taranis