HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Just finished my treasured Yak.

Wieght came in at 160g on the button. That is with a 600Mah Dualsky battery.

Not disappointed at all, and will maiden at work tomorrow.

Ken

Did you check your CG yet?

this plane is very different if the CG is off!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:30 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
Quote:
Just finished my treasured Yak.

Wieght came in at 160g on the button. That is with a 600Mah Dualsky battery.

Not disappointed at all, and will maiden at work tomorrow.

Ken

Ken, that is a really great weight with that size battery. Nicely done. Best of luck with your maiden flight!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 04, 2009, 06:45 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Did you check your CG yet?

this plane is very different if the CG is off!
Hi Tallflyer,

The CG is dead on! and that is without the battery. So my battery is held with velcro right at the CG. Easy to make battery changes without upsettting the CG. Mounted the aileron servo in the plans position and adjusted rudder and elevator servos to set it up. Also used Dan's pic's as a basis where they should go.

T minus 04:45:00 and counting to launch.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 04, 2009, 06:58 AM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
looks great ken!

I'm almost done with my latest all 9mm 1.3# yak. i remember it took me half a day to build the first one, its taken me half a week to build this one
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne
Old Mar 04, 2009, 09:54 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Mark, sounds good. I'll be ther 1-5 today, flying thursday (not working ), 1-8 Friday, 10-6 Saturday. I'll try to get it built this morning just in case.

Ken, 600mAh? That thing should fly what? Half an hour? You'd only need 2 or 3 packs for a weekend worth of flying.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:09 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Recently Welders glue has been difficult to find at Walmart not just in my area, but in other areas of the country as well. I contacted Homax the manufacture of the product with the following:

Customer support,

I would like to inquire about the following product. I have been using the Welders industrial strength contact adhesive that is packaged in a red tube. The product was readily available at Wal-Mart, but recently it has been very difficult to locate. A search of the Homax website showed Welders glue in a grey or silver tube. The question, are these two products the same and just packaged different? I have attached images of the two products.

Best regards,

Mark

The response from Homax:

Mark,

You are correct! The first picture was the older look and now the welder is available in the silver tube. You can usually locate this at Lowes stores.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regard,

Jaylin Schmitt
Customer Service
Homax Products
800-729-9029
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:51 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,685 Posts
FLuffy Yak Flight Report

All I can say is "YESSS!"

The Fluffy Yak is all that. Very nice flights at lunch. Had a small group of engineers asking all kinds of questions to which I had answers. This one will put you on the fast track to hovering as well as other manuevers. Now I need to take it to a larger venue to practice. At the close of the flight some others came by asking questions, so I plugged the battery back in, gave it about half throttle and she climbed slowly vertical up to about 10 feet, where I back the power down and she came right back to my hand, without torqueing (I was lucky), or yawing, but looked fully intentional.

Flights were nice and slow with very little power required to stay aloft. This aircraft is all that I had hoped for and more.

Now go get Yakked,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:51 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
Recently Welders glue has been difficult to find at Walmart not just in my area, but in other areas of the country as well. I contacted Homax the manufacture of the product with the following:

Customer support,

I would like to inquire about the following product. I have been using the Welders industrial strength contact adhesive that is packaged in a red tube. The product was readily available at Wal-Mart, but recently it has been very difficult to locate. A search of the Homax website showed Welders glue in a grey or silver tube. The question, are these two products the same and just packaged different? I have attached images of the two products.

Best regards,

Mark

The response from Homax:

Mark,

You are correct! The first picture was the older look and now the welder is available in the silver tube. You can usually locate this at Lowes stores.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regard,

Jaylin Schmitt
Customer Service
Homax Products
800-729-9029
I just picked up a package last week at Wal-Mart. It was the older one with two tubes, a large one and a small one. I noticed it was red tagged and a reduced clearance price. This explains why.

Thx
RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Old Mar 04, 2009, 04:06 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
Quote:
All I can say is "YESSS!"

The Fluffy Yak is all that. Very nice flights at lunch. Had a small group of engineers asking all kinds of questions to which I had answers. This one will put you on the fast track to hovering as well as other manuevers. Now I need to take it to a larger venue to practice. At the close of the flight some others came by asking questions, so I plugged the battery back in, gave it about half throttle and she climbed slowly vertical up to about 10 feet, where I back the power down and she came right back to my hand, without torqueing (I was lucky), or yawing, but looked fully intentional.

Flights were nice and slow with very little power required to stay aloft. This aircraft is all that I had hoped for and more.

Now go get Yakked,
Ken

Congratulations Ken! It really makes my day to hear a flight report like this.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 04, 2009, 04:57 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,685 Posts
Auto Hover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Congratulations Ken! It really makes my day to hear a flight report like this.
Dan,

I thought is was a fluke that this thing hovered so easily that time in the previous post, but I showed a couple of guys on second shift the plane by turning on everything and with the TX sitting on my work bench adjusted the throttle to climb very slowly. Pointing it straight up, I could let it go and hang there unassisted for about 3-5 seconds and grab it before it climbed out of reach. Repeated this several times. What a trip! Must have got the trims and lateral balance just right (accidently).

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Mar 05, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 01:24 AM
Joined Dec 2007
28 Posts
I'm tired after reading this looong thread,but it all sounds good. Time to order supplies
Dewane is offline Find More Posts by Dewane
Old Mar 05, 2009, 06:32 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,980 Posts
Looks like more Fluffy yaks are getting built and flying. For those who have asked I now have some more 1.0 EPP on hand. I put together a simple order sheet to make ordering easier. Go to http://www.emailmeform.com/fid.php?formid=249057 to make an order. Eventually I will have a regular web site up and going.
Thanks.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
people Oh my god I just wanted you to know about the new setup that seems to be my favorite

the headsuprc.com 2712-12 Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor
with there 500 mah 20c 7.4volt lipo
and a gws 9047 prop

Hangs on it at 1/2 stick I will post video later.

Great for indoor hover practice.

my version is the all 9mm 1.3 # as seen in the videos with updated ailerons.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:58 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Tallflyer, What is the AUW on yours with that setup? Mine is almost identical except for a 9050 prop. Tested AUW with a 3S 610 and it came to 8.1oz. I think with a 2 cell it will be in the high 6 to low 7 oz range. Get to fly it for the first time tomorrow night at the indoor event in Eden NC!!!

Diggs

OH, forgot to mention my foam isn't really 9mm. I ordered 9mm but it is actually about 10.2 mm
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 05, 2009, 08:06 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
My plane on the scale with no pack is at 5.4oz
with the battery I practice with 5oomah takes it up to 6.5oz If I went with a 300mah I could save more weight also.

but at 6.5oz AUW I'm happy
RCG Plus Member