HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:59 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxjett
We'll see how she fly's this weekend. I'll probably need leadfeathers help in creating an Adobe file with template drawings on it. I've never created plans before.
Mark, I'll be glad to help you get the info to Ken for the Edge. With just a bit of info Ken creates great plans.

I think there are a bunch of planes that could b built with the same construction technique. I have been imagining some war birds built the same way as the EPPYak ...hmmmmm
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:37 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Revision "C" Plans

This version of the EPPYak plans consolidates all versions (regular, skinny, and fluffy builds) into one set of plans. Just choose your materials.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:10 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
This version of the EPPYak plans consolidates all versions (regular, skinny, and fluffy builds) into one set of plans. Just choose your materials.

Ken
Thanks again Ken, these plans have been posted to post#1, replacing the earlier version.

I also added some explanation in the first post explaining some of the names we have come up with for the different builds.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:33 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Dan,

Happy to have been of service.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:07 AM
SW Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2006
80 Posts
Another Yak on the Way

I've printed out and cut templates for the 55.
I have a few questions before I start cutting foam:
The construction differs slightly from what i have become accustomed to...
Are the aileron counterbalances noticeably effective?
Does mounting the aileron servo so far forward really improve deflection in reference to pushrod geometry or is it a weight and balance fix?
Are the fuselage (horizontal) sections meant to increase lifting area and/or stiffen the fuselage? Has anyone flown this yak without them?

With all due respect to the designer...I like the flying part of our hobby, not the building part, so any corner I can cut without adversely effecting its performance is a plus!

Thanks,
rcolle is offline Find More Posts by rcolle
Last edited by rcolle; Feb 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:34 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Welp, I'm hooked now.

I bought one of Dan's relatively recent Yaks from him today.

I'll have to keep watching this thread now. I got in the lazy way.

Thanks for parting with a great bird to help out the cause, Dan.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolle
Does mounting the aileron servo so far forward really improve deflection in reference to pushrod geometry or is it a weight and balance fix?
Are the fuselage (horizontal) sections meant to increase lifting area and/or stiffen the fuselage? Has anyone flown this yak without them?

With all due respect to the designer...I like the flying part of our hobby, not the building part, so any corner I can cut without adversely effecting its performance is a plus!

Thanks,
Build lite

Use a blue wonder motor 1300-1500 kv
I like the gws 9050 props
use the 5g tp servos
10 amp esc
small 4 channel rec
I like to fly with a 2 cell 7.4 volt 400 lipo
I made all my control rods from 2mm carbon
if you put the gear where the drawings show plane flys good
go light on the glue
dont forget a prop saver

And Remember

Just Get Out and FLY!!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:50 AM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Thanks Ken and Dan for your help on getting the Edge put to an Adobe file. I'll try t get something drawn up and get the drawings to Dan.

I finally got my Edge and PbF ready to fly tomorrow. It's really weird that the AUW for both the Edge and the PbF came out to 204 grams with a 3S 460 mah lipo. I'm powering both with a Motrolfly DM2205 1350kv motor. They will both have plenty of power from running up the motors. Can't wait to maiden them both tomorrow.

My small fleet ready for some indoor flying tomorrow.
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:52 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolle

Thanks,
rcolle, here are some quick answers to your questions:

The counterbalances increase roll rate. They reduce the twist in the aileron and reduce the servo loads. Your plane would fly without them, maybe not quite as good in roll at low speed.

Aileron servo further forward reduces the "off" angle between the servo and the aileron. This reduces the forces and friction required to actuate ailerons. You can put the aileron servo where ever you please as long as you get enough aileron deflection and the overall balance works out.

The side fuse pieces are a must. They provide the strength and stiffness required for the tail. Without the horizontal fuse pieces you'll have to strengthen the fuse some other way such as a full length carbon rod.

Good luck with your build!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:56 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
Rcolle, I would suggest that you build the plane per plans. It is easy to skimp but if you have followed the thread the plans have gone through many revisions and the present version flies very very well. Many of us have made mods but usually after having built one stock first. Then we can tell if the mod helped or hurt. Every once in a while I will see someone here on the groups complain about a design only to find out that they cut a corner and created a problem.
I really like my Fluffy Yak. My flying has improved allot because this plane flies so well.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:38 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,569 Posts
Li'l Hacker

I replaced the 14 gram Hacker clone from HC with the 15 gram Hacker A10 15S .

Wow what a difference, the little Hacker provides a lot more thrust than the clone. Plenty of thrust to pull out of a hover on the Fluffy Yak with vigor!

I'm using a lighter prop too, the GWS SF 8043 instead of the heavier Graupner 8030 so the all up weight is the same as before, 137.7 grams! Wohoooo!, still in the sub 5 oz club with plenty of power.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:52 AM
SW Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2006
80 Posts
Ok thanks, I will build it per the plans.
rcolle is offline Find More Posts by rcolle
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:05 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Leadfeather, the blue Yak that I acquired from you yesterday at HobbyTown... What batteries should I actually get for this bird? I LOVE excessive horsepower but not at the expense of more weight. Does the same prop work with 3s and 2s? You were flying the 360 Rhino packs, correct?

Thanks!

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:02 PM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined May 2007
12 Posts
My first Yak55 had its test flight today. I'm very impressed and very happy. It performs really well. Thank you very much Leadfeather for the Yak55 and thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread.
MeteorMatt is offline Find More Posts by MeteorMatt
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:58 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04
Leadfeather, the blue Yak that I acquired from you yesterday at HobbyTown... What batteries should I actually get for this bird? I LOVE excessive horsepower but not at the expense of more weight. Does the same prop work with 3s and 2s? You were flying the 360 Rhino packs, correct?

Thanks!

-Eric
Eric, a 2s 360 is what I would recommend. 3s would be over powered indoors and the throttle resolution not as good. With the Rhino 2s 360 mAh battery you'll have plenty of power to pull out of a hover and be able to attain level flight speed that will make it start to flutter a little.

Good luck, I really enjoyed that plane!