SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:43 PM
SW Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
I just made a new design in google sketch Im going to layout a pdf file soon!

Looks Good So Far. It will be my next build.
rcolle is offline Find More Posts by rcolle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:17 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,581 Posts
Quote:
Looks good so far. What size are you thinking of?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:49 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Yaniel

I here you my friend I get up at 7am to hit the local parking lot before any wind kicks up! I can also fly at night under the lights with very low wind (but to fly indoors) that would be cool.

If anyone knows of any place to fly indoors in the san Diego Area please let me know!
I wish I could help you find a place to fly indoors Tallflyer. It is a totally different experience than flying outdoors. It isn't just the nice still air, it is how fast the walls and ceiling come up and bite you.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:12 AM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
looks a lot like a 3DFoamy edge 540...
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:24 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,581 Posts
I flew the Fluffy Yak for the second time tonight. I really like the foam the wifre cut .9lb supplied to me by Motorhead. I think it is a great combination of light yet stiff. It is almost identical inn weight to 6mm 1.3# ep but much, much stiffer.

I will be replacing the HC Hacker clone with an actual Hacker...A10-15s. It should keep me under 5 oz yet provide the power I need to pull out of hovers. I hope to test the new motor on Sunday.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:05 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
i'm placing an order tomorrow for some 9mm 1.3# foam so i can finally build another of the original yaks. i'm pretty interested in building one with the .9# foam though, for the rare calm day or if i ever find an indoor venue.
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
I will be cutting a few yaks in the next couple weeks if anyone wants one I will sell the basic blank white 1.3# 9mm foam and carbon and motor mount PM me for more details.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:11 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,581 Posts
I'm planning going to build a standard Yak for outdoor flying. I think I could shave some weight from my original (green Yak in post #1).

With a 3s battery it is surprisingly capable outdoors. With a small 2s, it is still a very respectable indoor flying machine.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:27 AM
Something Witty.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2007
896 Posts
I just started building this plane last night (thanks for the plans and all the information in this thread).

I noticed from the plans, and the instructions, that it says to build all the horizontal parts first (Wing, elevator, and side fusalage) first and then add the vertical fuse parts. This appears different from the originals built early in this thread. Is this method as strong? Just curious if you lose some rigitidy over having a fuse with a slot for the wing. Note that this is only my second scratch build, so I in no way suggesting anything is wrong, just curious as to the change. Thanks
Court461 is offline Find More Posts by Court461
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:44 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court461
I just started building this plane last night (thanks for the plans and all the information in this thread).

I noticed from the plans, and the instructions, that it says to build all the horizontal parts first (Wing, elevator, and side fusalage) first and then add the vertical fuse parts. This appears different from the originals built early in this thread. Is this method as strong? Just curious if you lose some rigitidy over having a fuse with a slot for the wing. Note that this is only my second scratch build, so I in no way suggesting anything is wrong, just curious as to the change. Thanks
It is just as strong either way you build it. It is a little easier to build the horizontal stuff first and then add the fuse.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:30 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I'm planning going to build a standard Yak for outdoor flying. I think I could shave some weight from my original (green Yak in post #1).

With a 3s battery it is surprisingly capable outdoors. With a small 2s, it is still a very respectable indoor flying machine.

Outdoors

I think that if you build the plane using 9mm for the wing,front end piece and side braces

and 6 mm for the fuselage/elevator/ailerons

this would be perfect for the outdoor version

bluewonders motor 1300kv a gws 8040hd prop a 10 amp esc 3 cell 300mah
3 towerpro 5 gram servos

should come in around 5-6 oz would be perfect.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:57 AM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,090 Posts
Quote:
I will be cutting a few yaks in the next couple weeks if anyone wants one I will sell the basic blank white 1.3# 9mm foam and carbon and motor mount PM me for more details.
Tallflyer, what's your price on these?

Also, can you make a Yak with one full 18x36 1.3 9mm sheet or do you need more? Thanks,
mattk0 is offline Find More Posts by mattk0
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,581 Posts
Quote:
Outdoors

I think that if you build the plane using 9mm for the wing,front end piece and side braces

and 6 mm for the fuselage/elevator/ailerons

this would be perfect for the outdoor version

bluewonders motor 1300kv a gws 8040hd prop a 10 amp esc 3 cell 300mah
3 towerpro 5 gram servos

should come in around 5-6 oz would be perfect.
Tall,

What you've described for the airframe is what we call the "skinny" Yak build. At full speed it will flutter somewhat. The standard airframe; all 1.3#, 9mm epp yak doesn't do this, so of course it is the build I plan on doing for my outdoor Yak.

As I have stated before, I think it is a good idea to build the plane so that the battery is at the cg. For outdoors; on those (rare) no wind days; you can fly a small 2s battery. On windier days you can use a larger 3s battery for the extra speed and momentum.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
I would then say build the original just change the wings to the new version all 1.3# 9mm epp foam

outdoors the 2 setups would favor

1300kv outrunner (0-5 mph wind) how I fly 2 cell 7.4v 400mah with a gws ep9050 prop
or I kick it up a notch prop down to a ep8040 and put on a 3 cell 11.1 v 300 mah

I have not tried a larger pack like a 600 mah 11.1 yet wind has been my friend the last couple of weekends!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
my outdoor setup which is great in even a small ~7mph breeze is:
all 9mm 1.3#
hxt500's on the tail
eflite s75 on ailerons
1300 kv blue wonder
9050 gws prop
3s450mah 25c 2dogrc lipo (44g)
built with hot glue
auw is ~190g seems like a brick compared to your indoor ones but its great for outdoor use and hovers at half throttle. try it out, you wont be disappointed.
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne