HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2008, 08:44 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,754 Posts
Lightness cost $$$!

If you want to stay with current equipment, how much would you have to increase to chord of the wing to achieve your desired wing loading? This may be a way to achieve your goal.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 10:23 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Lightness cost $$$!

If you want to stay with current equipment, how much would you have to increase to chord of the wing to achieve your desired wing loading? This may be a way to achieve your goal.

Ken
No kidding on the cost. To go from 5 gram servos to the 2.5 is about 3.5 times the cost. To go from the Blue Wonder to the motors the F3P guys are using multiply the cost by 5 to 8 times. Yikes, my inner cheapskate is getting upset.

I was thinking of some possible ways to save weight. Can the tail feathers be 6mm or even 3mm epp? Can the fuselage be 6mm epp? Can the wing be be milled out to save weight? Instead of milling can the wing be built with a skeleton of 6mm epp and a skin of 3mm epp?

I bought a 16 gram motor from Hobby City I'd like to try, but it seems to start very rough...not sure if I trust it.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Dec 08, 2008, 10:51 AM
Costa Rica
Joined Jul 2006
185 Posts
Hi Leadfeather,
I have the Ikarus shockflyer, fly really cool, this built the srcahbuilt.
I like built other, and I see you mod plane.
I used in my ikarus 370 bhusless, with gear box gear D the GWS.
Rx arrow
esc 18 amp
servos hs-55 in aileron and elevatos, tail blue bird.
Lipo TP 730mah.

I have others motor one specifications is
2205 KV 1300
Battery 2-3S Li-po
Range of Prop 8X4-9X6 slow
ESC 10A Nominal Power 80W
Weight 30G

And other this specifcations
2210 KV 1080
Battery 2-3S
Li-po Range of Prop 8X6-10X4.7& Slow
ESC 20A Nominal Power 180W
Weight 45G

And have tree servos hs-55, rx arrow, and esc extra, and I like used the same lipo.
Normally used th eikarus outdoors, posible used them , too.
Thanks,
Fune.
Fune is offline Find More Posts by Fune
Last edited by Fune; Dec 08, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 11:41 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather

I bought a 16 gram motor from Hobby City I'd like to try, but it seems to start very rough...not sure if I trust it.
Leadfeather,

I have 4 of Lazertoyz' 10AX ESCs which will not start my 16 gram motor smoothly... one simply won't start it at all!! Three of the four do start & run the 24 gram 'blue wonder' motor OK. (The other one is very rough trying to start the same 24 gram motor, so it is being sent back.)

I replaced the 10AX ESC with a TURNIGY Plush 10A ESC, and was very happy to find that it starts my 16 gram motor very smoothly and very consistently. So I'd suggest getting one of those ESC's from HobbyCity, along with the $6.95 programming card that makes setup SOOOOO easy.

I also have replaced another ESC that was not starting another motor smoothly with another of the Turnigy Plush 10A ESC's, and it also works smoothly & perfectly in that aircraft too. So for the smaller motors that aren't being started smoothly by some inexpensive ESCs, I'll give my endorsement to the line of TURNIGY Plush ESCs!

But I'll warn you- it'll spoil you being able to so easily & quickly adjust all of the various programming settings with the card if you've been twiddling transmitter sticks to do this job previously!

VIKING
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Last edited by viking60; Dec 11, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 12:36 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,782 Posts
Viking thanks for the advice, I'll have to give it a try; especially since it is still a pretty economical way to reduce weight. In the HC reviews of this motor there are claims of 300 gr of thrust. If I could get any where near that it would be more than enough for the Yak.

What are your thoughts and opinions of the 16 gram motors performance with the Turnigy esc? Would the 6A esc be adequate?
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:08 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,384 Posts
If you have to rewind your 16g motor (and trust me you will, I've done seven so far) because of the broken wire syndrome, you'll notice it's terminated delta and the 6A works great. BUT.....to make it easy I went with 20 and 21 turns terminated 'Y' and the Turnigy 6A hated it. Needed a 9A TB to get it working properly, althought I haven't tried a Turnigy 10A on one yet after a fix-me-up. Got sick of rewinding mine and my FB motors as getting the wire off is a nightmare. So, I solved the broken wire problem by adding a small solder board like the el-cheapo TP motors use.

Better still, I went with the C2024 at 17g and I modded the wobbly, no more broken wire blues, more power and less amps. It doen't come purple as pictured, is completely different and in gold n' chrome, and labelled 'Turnigy'.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 08, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:14 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,384 Posts
If your looking for ideas for paint jobs on your 55's, check out www.airliners.net for loads of great pictures like this...........
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:43 PM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
Quote:
Viking thanks for the advice, I'll have to give it a try; especially since it is still a pretty economical way to reduce weight. In the HC reviews of this motor there are claims of 300 gr of thrust. If I could get any where near that it would be more than enough for the Yak.

What are your thoughts and opinions of the 16 gram motors performance with the Turnigy esc? Would the 6A esc be adequate?
It's rated as a "70 watt" motor; that, divided by 11.1 volts for a 3S pack, comes out to 6.3 Amps. If you don't prop it to draw that much current, you'll do fine. (I'm using the 10A ones myself- I don't remember how many grams lighter the 6A one is, & haven't used one yet... I just know the 10 Amp one works very smoothly. Hope this helps.

VIKING
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:52 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,384 Posts
Forgot to mention......

The 16g can't take a joke at indoor, smack the floor or walls with it when it's still spinning and you'll shave the wires off between the inside of the front end and the end of the stator from flexing, as there's not much space between them. Or, they break at the bearing tube from flexing and vibration. Other then the solder board and less wire inside, they suck. That's why I went with #27 wire and 20 or 21 turns 'Y' for more room or another flavor of motor with better quality.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 08, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 02:03 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fune
Hi Leadfeather,
I have the Ikarus shockflyer, fly really cool, this built the srcahbuilt.
I like built other, and I see you mod plane.
I used in my ikarus 370 bhusless, with gear box gear D the GWS.
Rx arrow
esc 18 amp
servos hs-55 in aileron and elevatos, tail blue bird.
Lipo TP 730mah.

I have others motor one specifications is
2205 KV 1300
Battery 2-3S Li-po
Range of Prop 8X4-9X6 slow
ESC 10A Nominal Power 80W
Weight 30G

And other this specifcations
2210 KV 1080
Battery 2-3S
Li-po Range of Prop 8X6-10X4.7& Slow
ESC 20A Nominal Power 180W
Weight 45G

And have tree servos hs-55, rx arrow, and esc extra, and I like used the same lipo.
Normally used th eikarus outdoors, posible used them , too.
Thanks,
Fune.

Fune, I'm not sure what you intended for your post. Are you suggesting these components as alternatives or are you wondering if they'll work in the Yak?

Most of what you have listed are heavier than what I have used. As long as the components are strong enough, the lighter the better.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 02:08 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Forgot to mention......

The 16g can't take a joke at indoor, smack the floor or walls with it when it's still spinning and you'll shave the wires off between the inside of the front end and the end of the stator from flexing, as there's not much space between them. Or, they break at the bearing tube from flexing and vibration. Other then the solder board and less wire inside, they suck. That's why I went with #27 wire and 20 or 21 turns 'Y' for more room or another flavor of motor with better quality.
Gold, I have one that is rewound for the same reason, the wires at the front rubbed against the bell and shaved the insulation off. I rewound it similar to that described in the timocharis blog it spins, but stutters at start up, haven't put it on a plane yet, will try it with a Turnigy esc though.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 06:36 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
I think that 6mm EPP would work fine for everything. I have a 32" Extra built that way and it flies superb. You do need to add some carbon truss work the the fuse to keep the rear end from twisting during rolls but that is not hard to do.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Dec 08, 2008, 06:45 PM
Costa Rica
Joined Jul 2006
185 Posts
Quote:
Fune, I'm not sure what you intended for your post. Are you suggesting these components as alternatives or are you wondering if they'll work in the Yak?

Most of what you have listed are heavier than what I have used. As long as the components are strong enough, the lighter the better.

If they'll work in the Yak ?? is my questions, But work`s I think used in outdoors..

But I think used theis motor how is better the 1300kv or 1000kv for the propeller size??
Fune is offline Find More Posts by Fune
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:01 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
I think that 6mm EPP would work fine for everything. I have a 32" Extra built that way and it flies superb. You do need to add some carbon truss work the the fuse to keep the rear end from twisting during rolls but that is not hard to do.

Jerry
Jerry, Photos? Auw?
Old Dec 08, 2008, 07:07 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fune
If they'll work in the Yak ?? is my questions, But work`s I think used in outdoors..

But I think used theis motor how is better the 1300kv or 1000kv for the propeller size??
Hi Fune, Those parts should work.

I would suggest the 30 gram motor, it should have plenty of power and it is a lot lighter.

As your Yak gets heavier, the power consumption increases, battery life decreases, and the airplane gets a little faster. It should still be fun, it just won;t float around as slow as a lighter build.

Good luck with your build!

Dan