to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2009, 03:34 PM
EPP is fun!!!
Monroe County Alabama
Joined Oct 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadude
I have a pack from Lowes in the red tubes. It looks exactly the same except for the color being red instead of white. The item number on the package is the same as the one on Lowes site # 730657.

RO
jetmechanic is online now Find More Posts by jetmechanic
Old Oct 03, 2009, 07:36 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Speaking of the HXT500 from Hobby City, I've used bunch of them and never had a dud. I have however stripped a bunch of them, but I don't blame the servo. I fly in the backyard and I crash a lot, get stuck in trees, plenty of tail touches etc. On my Slowfly 28 which I've been flying every day for a month or so, I've stripped two 500s and the third is losing power at the ends of it's throw. I'm ready to step to to a stronger servo for the rudder. I'm real hard on these planes, I've ripped the rudder several times and I can see it try to break the servo on every crash.

I'll be looking for a good quality micro servo with carbonite or metal gears to use in my 3D rudders. Any suggestions? I'd rather not use the 9gr, great as they are they're a tad heavy.

IMHO the HXT 9gr are way better than just about anything in it's class by a long shot. They're fast, plenty strong and center better than all the other micro servos I own except GWS. I've got four practially new JR/Spectrum servos that came with my radio, but they don't center for crap compared to the super cheap HXT 900s.

Luke
Lukejt is offline Find More Posts by Lukejt
Old Oct 03, 2009, 10:40 PM
More props are better than One
Joined Nov 2004
2,118 Posts
The Outdoor Yak I have, has 2 - 9gr servos on the tail and 1- HS-55 on the ailerons. The reason I used the hs-55 was I had longer servo arms for it.
My plane is no light weight, but it still flys good with a 500mAh 3s pack and Turnigy 1500k on DD-8040 prop.
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Oct 03, 2009, 10:53 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Wheres the CG located on the wing on this thing?

kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Oct 03, 2009, 11:36 PM
Downtown Minneapolis
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2009
197 Posts
+1

see lots of references for CG, but nothing on where it is actually located? On my next Yak build I want to try and place everything on the CG mark or towards the motor?
iAdam is offline Find More Posts by iAdam
Old Oct 04, 2009, 12:29 AM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
513 Posts
This is where my CG is for outdoor:

2 3/4" from leading edge

Notice I say my CG. Feather 1 may say different.
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Old Oct 04, 2009, 03:24 AM
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
Since I use the 9gr servos my plane is on the heavy side and I use the 500 3 cell battery for my power. I really like how my servos perform in this plane. I find Hobby City overall to be a good resource. Sometimes it is hit and miss with them. Ordered 4 2200 Zippy 25C batteries and one of them will not balance. The cost to send back to China is almost the cost of the battery.
bart4u is offline Find More Posts by bart4u
Old Oct 04, 2009, 06:02 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
This is where my CG is for outdoor:

2 3/4" from leading edge

Notice I say my CG. Feather 1 may say different.
2 3/4" from the leading edge is correct. The recommended cg is a good starting point. After you fly your Yak you may want to adjust the cg to suit your personal preferences.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 04, 2009, 06:13 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam
+1

see lots of references for CG, but nothing on where it is actually located? On my next Yak build I want to try and place everything on the CG mark or towards the motor?

iAdam,

the cg is marked on the plans. The symbol for cg is a small round circle divided into 4 pie sections in black and white.

In the first post of this thread, there is a link to the build guide . The build guide has lots of photos, tips and links for building a really good Yak. There is a section specifically on installing all of the guts so that the plane balances properly. Please have a look at the guide, I think you will find it a big help. Best of luck with your Yak.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 07:05 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,188 Posts
Graphics

I made some graphics/decals for my new Edge 540 T by printing on to tissue paper using an inkjet printer and gluing this to the foam. The results were good. I created new graphics for the Edge and also for the Yak.

The graphics are in a MS Word file, so you can make changes easily. You can change the letters, the color of the letters, the font, remove the text for checkers only or add more text etc.

The process I used was:

1) Buy tissue white paper from Target and cut into 8.5 x11 sheets.
2) Glue top edge of tissue paper to regular sheet of paper using glue stick.
3) Send though printer. Let dry. Spray fixative (Walmart) to make the graphics water proof.
4) Cut decal and spray generously with 3m Spray77.
5) Apply (carefully) to foam.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 07:42 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,034 Posts
Pdf formatted Graphics

Just thought others might like this in pdf format.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:18 AM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
Very cool technique on the decals! I will have to do that on my next plane!

My question is, white tissue paper?? are you talking about the stuff you put in gift bags?

Guess im confused how the decals on your edge only show the design and not the white paper?
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:27 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoGinn
Very cool technique on the decals! I will have to do that on my next plane!

My question is, white tissue paper?? are you talking about the stuff you put in gift bags?

Guess im confused how the decals on your edge only show the design and not the white paper?
Yep, the tissue paper is the stuff my wife uses for stuffing in those gift bags. It is actually pretty strong and pretty light.

On the Edge, I over sprayed using an airbrush with yellow paint. The over spraying won't work as good with darker colors. Another option is to apply the decal over the paint job using color tissue to match the paint you will use or to use white tissue but change the printed graphics with a color background to match you paint
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:27 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,034 Posts
SG,

Plain white tissue paper that you put in gift bags is exactly right.

Also Leadfeather sprayed the yellow on over the decals after they where applied to the foam. You will notice the graphics were blue on the white foam, and then green after the airframe is yellow. Yellow over blue makes green.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project