HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:19 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeaver
Dan,

On your fuesalage template did you leave the rudder intact or did you seperate it?

Mark
Mark,

I separate the fuse template from the rudder template. Wastes less foam, no real reason to keep it as one piece.

I also separated the ailerons from the main wing template since I'm using different foam thickness for the wing and ailerons.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Mark,

I separate the fuse template from the rudder template. Wastes less foam, no real reason to keep it as one piece.

I also separated the ailerons from the main wing template since I'm using different foam thickness for the wing and ailerons.

Sounds good. I have a set of templates cutout for the Yak if anyone in the area needs them. I did remark the template to incorporate the ailerons with counterbalances on them. I will leave it intact so folks can have a choice as to what aileron style they would like to utilize in their build.

I hope to start cutting foam tomorrow on my Yak!
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:44 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
I just weighed the sub assemblies

Wing + ailerons + spar = 32 grams

Separately these added up to 30.6 grams, so the glue for the spar and hinges together make up the 1.4 gram difference.

The stab elevator assembly weighs 5.8 grams. The glue and spar added .9 grams.

The fuse and rudder came out to 14.1 grams, a loss of .3 grams as an assembly.

Piling all the pieces on the scale so far weighs 59 grams.

Still to come weights:
Motor, propeller, esc, motor mount, Rx, servos, push rods, horns, Velcro, glue, paint and possible reinforcement piece for tail twist.
Last edited by leadfeather; Dec 16, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:07 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Ken,

The dimensions for the changes I made are shown in the photo below.

I got the control surfaces hinged and the spars installed tonight on the new lighter build. I'll weigh these sub assemblies in the morning and post.

Now that I'm obsessing over weight a bit, I want to know how much weight each step adds to the build.
Got it! Do you want me to post directly? You may want to put it in the first post or wait for any additional changes.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:11 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
What about trussing the aft section of fuselage with polyester thread. Seems like that might be lighter and stronger, and simpler. Wrap in a pattern then a dab of CA where it touches the fuselage and crosses each other.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
What about trussing the aft section of fuselage with polyester thread. Seems like that might be lighter and stronger, and simpler. Wrap in a pattern then a dab of CA where it touches the fuselage and crosses each other.

Ken
I think that is a good option for bracing the the aft fuselage...if it needs it.

At this time I can think of 4 options:

1) No brace; lightest, most durable, but may not be adequate with 6mm epp fuselage to avoid tail twist.

2) 3mm epp angle brace, also very durable, maybe the heaviest option. Only needs to be tack glued to fuselage.

3) Thread brace, 2nd lightest option, could be virtually invisible, should be pretty durable. In a crash, the likely failure mode is the thread will shift where it is tacked to the foam. Should be easy to field repair.

4) Carbon strut bracing. Stiffest, but least durable, but it may be durable enough. Should be field repairable unless carbon brakes.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, what do you guys think? Are there other options to brace against tail twist if required.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Quote:
Got it! Do you want me to post directly? You may want to put it in the first post or wait for any additional changes.

Ken
Please post it directly and I'll update post#2.

Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
Joined Mar 2007
97 Posts
Got it done last night. I added counterbalance and 3/4" to the aileron chord. Now I just need a place to test it out.
Quote:
Sounds good, it will be interesting to see the effect of this change on your plane.
dls8767 is offline Find More Posts by dls8767
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:28 AM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Quote:
I think that is a good option for bracing the the aft fuselage...if it needs it.

At this time I can think of 4 options:

1) No brace; lightest, most durable, but may not be adequate with 6mm epp fuselage to avoid tail twist.

2) 3mm epp angle brace, also very durable, maybe the heaviest option. Only needs to be tack glued to fuselage.

3) Thread brace, 2nd lightest option, could be virtually invisible, should be pretty durable. In a crash, the likely failure mode is the thread will shift where it is tacked to the foam. Should be easy to field repair.

4) Carbon strut bracing. Stiffest, but least durable, but it may be durable enough. Should be field repairable unless carbon brakes.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, what do you guys think? Are there other options to brace against tail twist if required.
Dan,

I would suggest option #4 using .5mm or .8mm carbon rod to keep the weight down. Do run the rods all the way through the foam and you shouldn't have any problems with it coming loose, I have never had a carbon rod break. I had problems with the thread method when I tried it, I kept snagging it with my fingers when handling the model. Option #2 works very well also and I use it on my biplanes since it seems to be a big help to keep from breaking the fuse right behind the wings.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:40 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Servo arms

I like the way Motorhead did his hinge and horn arrangement in this post ...very clean. If I do this, I'll need longer servo arms for the HXT900 and HXT500 servos. I've done some searching but I can't seem to find any that will fit these servos.

Could use some help locating some of these.
Last edited by leadfeather; Dec 17, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:04 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
MiniYak Debut

I finally got all the gear in the MiniYak.

AUW is 73g with a 250Mah 2s battery.

Will test fly tomorrow.

Ken

This is really a nasty picture. Will take a better one this evening and post.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:21 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Quote:
I finally got all the gear in the MiniYak.

AUW is 73g with a 250Mah 2s battery.

Will test fly tomorrow.

Ken

This is really a nasty picture. Will take a better one this evening and post.
Ken,

That looks like a really great little Yak!

Can you share more details about the build please?

Best of luck on the maiden flight!!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:42 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
MiniYak55 Build Details:

After doing the plans for the EPPYak, I was kind of wanting to build one. Having only a partial sheet of 6mm EPP on hand, I had an Aha! moment. The EPPYak is designed for 9mm material, so naturally, If I scale down 2/3 everything should fit. Sizes looked good for an existing motor and equipment I had on hand. So if you print the posted plans at 66% you will have the plans for what has been coined a MiniYak55.

Components in this build include;
1. 6mm EPP 1.3#
2. E-flite Park 180 motor
3. Castle Creations Thunderbird 6 ESC with micro JST connections.
4. Spektrum AR6300 RX
5. 3 - Blue Arrow 2.5g servos
6. 250Mah 2s Full River Lipo
7. .040" CF rod pushrods (1-12", 1-11", 2-5")
8. .025" Music Wire - Ends of Pushrods (12" used total)
9. 1.5" of 5mm ID, 7mm OD CF tube for motor mount.
10. 6.7" of 1/16" heatshrink tubing for pushrods.
11. Uhu Creative adhesive for EPP.
12. Nexcare cloth tape for hinges.
13. .080" CF rod for wing spar 14-3/4" long
14. .060" CF rod for elevator spar 6" long

All up weight is 73g so far RTF.

This goes together in the same sequence and Leadfeathers Yak.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Dec 17, 2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added details and pictures
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:35 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
Dan,

The F3P guys are running 6 gram servos on the ailerons. Anything lighter will suffer too much from blow-back to be effective. Personally I use the Blue Bird 308 servo for ailerons.

Jerry
The HXT500 servos are actually 6.1 gram servos. The (advertised) speed matches the Eflight S60 and the torque is a little less...close enough that I think I'll take a chance and try the HXT500 for the ailerons.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:42 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Quote:
I like the way Motorhead did his hinge and horn arrangement in this post ...very clean. If I do this, I'll need longer servo arms for the HXT900 and HXT500 servos. I've done some searching but I can't seem to find any that will fit these servos.

Could use some help locating some of these.

After some searching I came up with this:

For the HXT 500, Dubro 930 Micro Servo Arm XL

For the HXT 900, Dubro 932 Micro Servo Arm XL

Picked up one set of each at my local hobby store. Tried them out and they fit perfectly!