Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:40 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Jerry.

do you have any videos of you flying your Yak?
I do have a video that Leadfeather took of my depron version of the Yak 55M. If I remember right this was the 2nd flight of the model and I had not fully trimmed the model out at that point.

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/w...errysYak55.flv

Not sure if I copied the link right. If that one doesn't work try this one.

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/w...=JerrysYak55.f
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Last edited by Jerry Combs; Apr 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:11 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
That is so cool that everyone is getting to enjoy these great flying little planes. Thanks for sharing your stories of SEFF so far Mark and Noah. I hope you find some foam Noah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull
Ol' Mark has made quite the impact here at SEFF. There are so many planes here.. of all shapes and sizes, but the planes being flown the most are the two Yaks that Mark had brought along.

Today alone, I've seen dozens of guys fly these things (myself included... ) and all of them are literally lusting over them. Mark's going to have to buy new packs when he gets home cause the ones he has now are on constant rotation on a polycharge 4. Ben has been flying to wings off his, and has been handing it to anyone who wants it. Some really great pilots (many pro pilots) have flown these birds the last few days, and they all want one now!

I pulled the sticks on Mark's yak right about the time it was starting to get dark. I've had a few flights today, but spent most of it building. I had a blast with the little yak, it was so relaxing to fly such a light, floaty little foamy. I was able to keep it close enough to me that the darkening sky didn't cause me to loose it.

Great little plane!!! I'm really kicking myself for not finishing mine up before we left to head here. If I could find a printer, I would pick up some foam and cut one out real quick.... I wonder how close a kinko or UPS store is.... Google, here I come!!!
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:17 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,051 Posts
RCFoam is in the hizzy. They have a nice selection from the looks of their booth.

It looks like Americas has a UPS store. Did I read somewhere that they will do large format prints, or was I dreaming?
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:20 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Sorry about that, didn't mean to set off a huge debate. I just found out my Slofly 22" had the tail start to rip out where the carbon fiber rod ends in the back, most likely because I used CA to glue in the rod and it is brittle. I repaired tonight with Welder glue, but I still want to build another plane. I think the Yak 55 with the cross fuselage would prevent this, and you guys have my curiousity up now. What size Yak55 should I build if I was going to go up to the Slofly 28" now? Ie what size to you like the best, but still staying close to 28". Also are the pdf files on the first page the newest version, or can somebody give me the link to the latest version that I should build. Thanks a lot guys!
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:30 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Sorry about that, didn't mean to set off a huge debate. I just found out my Slofly 22" had the tail start to rip out where the carbon fiber rod ends in the back, most likely because I used CA to glue in the rod and it is brittle. I repaired tonight with Welder glue, but I still want to build another plane. I think the Yak 55 with the cross fuselage would prevent this, and you guys have my curiousity up now. What size Yak55 should I build if I was going to go up to the Slofly 28" now? Ie what size to you like the best, but still staying close to 28". Also are the pdf files on the first page the newest version, or can somebody give me the link to the latest version that I should build. Thanks a lot guys!
I scaled mine down to 90%, and I got it to ~29.5" of wingspan.
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
Old May 01, 2009, 07:35 AM
United States, FL, Mary Esther
Joined Jun 2008
276 Posts
The wing tips of my Yak are getting a little floppy with my panic high G pull ups and it's desire to land in trees at full throttle. Any more flex and the boost tabs might start binding. If I was to build a new one, I would put the CF tubing from wingtip to wingtip. Just a thought for those who want to build one.

By the way, I used a rotozip handheld router to cut the slot for the CF tubing, works really well.
Pavelow is offline Find More Posts by Pavelow
Old May 01, 2009, 09:58 AM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Apr 2008
571 Posts
Pavelow - what is the wingspan of your Yak? If you downloaded the pfd as is, the span is 32".

Richard
RJD1234 is offline Find More Posts by RJD1234
Old May 01, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sterling, VA
Joined Nov 2006
133 Posts
Size Recommendation

I am interested in building an EPPYak55 with the material and equipment I have on hand. Here is what I have on hand.

- Vampower 4CH receiver (Lazertoyz)
- Blue Wonder 1300kv and 10AX ESC (Lazertoyz)
- HS55 servos
- 9mm 1.9# EPP from Sloper Steve
- Aluminim motor mount from Sloper Steve
- either 2s or 3s 800 mah batteries (EFlight & Lazertoys)
- prop GWS hd 8x4 (3 cell) or 9x? (2 cell)
- UHU, gorilla, CA, epoxy, hot glue

What size (wing span) plane is best for this set-up? I was thinkinig the 30" version would be best. Is there a tiled pdf file of the 30" version in the thread somewhere? I have not been unable to find it.
Which glue is best to use for each part of the plane?
I am definitely getting some Welders glue for doing the hinges. Hope to obtain from the local Lowes.
Specific prop. recommendations for a 2 and 3 cell setup would be very appreciated.
Thanks for all the support you guys provide and your willingness to share your knowledge. It has helped me progress in the hobby with minimal financial investment.

Dennis Buck
DBuck42 is offline Find More Posts by DBuck42
Old May 01, 2009, 10:27 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,030 Posts
Hi Dennis,

The various size tiled plans are here in post #3.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=3

The full size or the 30" sound like good choices to me.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 01, 2009, 11:05 AM
Sterling, VA
Joined Nov 2006
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Hi Dennis,

The various size tiled plans are here in post #3.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=3

The full size or the 30" sound like good choices to me.

Ken
Ken,

I must be missing something. I do not see the pdf tiled version of the 30" in post #3, only the full version. What am I missing?

Dennis
Old May 01, 2009, 11:10 AM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuck42
What size (wing span) plane is best for this set-up? I was thinkinig the 30" version would be best. Is there a tiled pdf file of the 30" version in the thread somewhere? I have not been unable to find it.
Which glue is best to use for each part of the plane?
I am definitely getting some Welders glue for doing the hinges. Hope to obtain from the local Lowes.
Specific prop. recommendations for a 2 and 3 cell setup would be very appreciated.
Thanks for all the support you guys provide and your willingness to share your knowledge. It has helped me progress in the hobby with minimal financial investment.

Dennis Buck
With those batteries, I would definitely do the origianl size 32" ws. It will give you a lower wing loading; If you like a little more solid, albeit faster, plane, do the 30" wingspan. It will do better in wind outside, especially with those batteries. The hs55's will work with any of the sizes, they are great servos for this plane.

Edit: I scaled my own in adobe, and it is in my first post in this thread here.

For a 1300kv, a GWS 8040 HD prop on 3s, and a 9050 or 1060 has worked with my 2s 800mAh 20c lipos.
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
Last edited by mikebergy; May 01, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 01, 2009, 11:24 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Quote:
Ken,

I must be missing something. I do not see the pdf tiled version of the 30" in post #3, only the full version. What am I missing?

Dennis
Dennis,

I can't find it either. We'll have to get that one in there for you as soon as possible.

Dan
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old May 01, 2009, 11:28 AM
Sterling, VA
Joined Nov 2006
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebergy
With those batteries, I would definitely do the origianl size 32" ws. It will give you a lower wing loading; If you like a little more solid, albeit faster, plane, do the 30" wingspan. It will do better in wind outside, especially with those batteries. The hs55's will work with any of the sizes, they are great servos for this plane.

Edit: I scaled my own in adobe, and it is in my first post in this thread here.

For a 1300kv, a GWS 8040 HD prop on 3s, and a 9050 or 1060 has worked with my 2s 800mAh 20c lipos.
Thanks for the help Mike. I plan to fly it outside, so I think the original size may be better. Right?
Old May 01, 2009, 11:29 AM
Sterling, VA
Joined Nov 2006
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Dennis,

I can't find it either. We'll have to get that one in there for you as soon as possible.

Dan
Thanks Dan. It looks like the original size may suit my needs better, but I will be looking for the 30"er in the future.

Dennis
Old May 01, 2009, 11:30 AM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
Quote:
Ken,

Dennis

if you have a staples or a kinko's in your area i recommend printing out the full plans. it'll cost about $2.50 and it'll usually result in a better template than the taped together tiles. plus it's probably cheaper than the ink, paper and tape it'll cost to tile them together.
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne