HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2003, 03:06 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
1,012 Posts
Would anyone be interested in a cheaper alternative to UBEC ?

I am in the process of designing my own BEC Circuit. Specs will be the following

4.5V-40V input voltage
5V regulated out independant of Vin or load current until battery drops below 4.5V, then output voltage is directly wired to battery.
4 AMP continous current output independant of Vin

design is pretty much complete and dimensions will be smaller than your typical 40 AMP ESC. once i have it made i will send out a couple units for beta testing to some of the senior members on the board so that they can report back. if succesfull, price will be about $20 a pop. does this interest anyone ?
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2003, 05:13 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,090 Posts
With the wide use of high-powered digital servos do you think 4 amps is enough? I would like to see 10A + to be on the safe side.

Also I can see that 10 series LiPo batteries (10s?p) are going to me used on some helicopters. That will give a fully charged voltage of close to your limit. What is your safety margin on the voltage?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 28, 2003, 06:03 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Most of the digital servos use less than an amp. Probably something like 600 ma peak.

10 amps at 5 volts is way overkill. That's enough power to run 16 digital servos simultaneously. It's 50 watts.

To put this into perspective, a hovering Piccolo uses about 25 watts (8v @ 3 amps). So you're basically describing a BEC that has the power output of two Piccolos hovering simultaneously.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Feb 28, 2003, 06:31 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with 4amps, the UBec is 3-5amps.

But what about the size? Sure in a larger plane the oz makes no big diff.

With the lithiums coming up an airborn pack is gonna get really small and light. If a BEC is bigger and heavier than a battery pack, the only plus is not charging it. But with lithiums we get such high capacity, that will be a small issue too.

How about one the size of a GWS 4 channels RX?
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk