HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Hobby Lobby Twister "Medevac V2" RTF Coaxial R/C Helicopter Review

The Twister line of coaxial helicopters from Hobby Lobby are the perfect choice for beginners wanting to try their hand at rotorcraft flight. The Twister Medevac is full of cool options including lights, so join Dr. Dave for some hovering.

Splash

Introduction

Main Rotor Diameter:340mm
Flying Weight:222g
Weight:179g
Length:365mm
Servos:hi-torque EnerG micro servos
Transmitter:72Mhz FM 4-channel with 4 trims
Stabilization:On-board piezo yaw rate gyro
Flight Times:10 - 15 minutes
Main Drive:Twin ball raced motors
Battery:7.4V LiPo 800 mAh
On-Board Control:Twister 4 in 1
MSRP:$119.00
Available From:Hobby-Lobby

Perhaps best known as the helicopter used in the Korean War and later in M*A*S*H,, the Medevac, or Bell 47 (H-13), came to life in 1941. By the Korean War/Conflict in 1950 it was successful both militarily and commercially. Its ability to haul two wounded soldiers from front line battlefields was notable. While less than 500 were built for the Army and Navy over 5,000 were built throughout the production cycle of the Bell 47.

Kit Contents

My Medevac arrived in great shape double boxed and well protected. An interior plastic shell provides excellent protection from damage and dust. It is a small, easily portable box good for taking with you to fly just about anywhere.

Test-flown and ready to fly kit includes:

• Painted and detailed helicopter
  • Transmitter
  • Twister 4 in 1 On-board electronics
  • Micro Servos
  • Receiver and transmitter crystals
  • 7.4V 800 mAh LiPo
  • 12V charger
  • 110-120V AC power adapter
  • Instruction manual written for Medevac
  • Twister Medevac DVD
  • Extra blades
  • Flight simulator
  • AA transmitter batteries

All the necessary items nest well inside the molded Styrofoam packing box. The instruction manual is absolutely excellent. It is written specifically for the Medevac and is not a generic manual. Every page is packed with photos and instructions that not only introduces you to helicopters, but also completely describes every aspect of rotorcraft flight. Rest assured, if you are making your first sortie into helicopters, having access to a manual like this one is a blessing. I was impressed with the macro photographs and the number used to clearly show the intent of the instructions.

You get a lot of extras with the Medevac including the flight simulator and USB cable, transport bunks, extra blades and a red flashing tail beacon. I loved the detail of the bunks; The Red Cross symbol is painted on them, and they include the handles, foam pad and plastic bubble used to protect the wounded soldiers during the flight. That must have been one of the most merciful yet unmerciful rides a young soldier could ever experience.

A walk Around

I always like to let you see all the angles so I am providing a few pictures of the Medevac for you to get a better feel for all quality of this helicopter.

Assembly

All I had to do is charge the battery and then lock the fly bar in place. Below is a photo that shows that process, but also shows the level of detail within the instructions. The bunks also slip onto the landing gear and then snap in place.

Flying

At just about 8 ounces, the Medevac may seem small but it is an excellent example of coaxial engineering and stability. As it moves through ground effect you do have to keep on the throttle, though, or you will bounce the ground. Once you get the hover sorted out (which I thought was not difficult), the Medevac goes where you want it to go. Trims help you get the hover stabilized, and once that is accomplished, it penetrates forward very well and is not pitch or roll sensitive.

Basics

Controlling a helicopter takes coordination and a mindset removed a degree or more from fixed wing. You need a soft touch and concentration. The Medevac supports your learning curve with high quality components, and an excellent FM transmitter.

Flight times on the Medevac (and all Twisters) are incredible. Ten minutes is typical, which is exactly what you want as a new pilot practicing your maneuvers. Once the battery cools, it takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to charge the battery.

Is This For a Beginner?

You bet it is. Everything you need to fly a helicopter is provided. The Medevac is durable, and even though the tail boom looks fragile it is quite strong. I bounced the Medevac several times and rolled it a few times as well with no damage.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

I really enjoy flying the line of Twister helicopters. I am as satisfied with the Medevac as I was with the Twister US Coast Guard. Long flight times, excellent durability, extras like blades, lighting and a flight simulator and price all make Twister worth exploring. I recommend the Medevac for not only outdoor flying but indoor flying as well.

When you combine the helicopter with the quality service and attention to customer needs Hobby Lobby provides and the clearly written and photographed manual, you have a great RTF.

Positive:

• Great looks and detail
  • Durability
  • Long flight times
  • All the extras
  • Great service

Not-So-Positive:

• Flight simulator is not high quality
Last edited by Angela H; Apr 15, 2009 at 12:13 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Any video of actual forward flight?
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Apr 15, 2009, 04:10 PM
EVOL OT YLF
Weston-s-Mare Uk
Joined Nov 2008
694 Posts
Great review!
I purchased the Medivac well over 3 year's ago. It was the first heli i ever bought and the start of the OBSESSION!
It's exactlly the same as your review model, exept back then it did'nt come with the lights or the sim. The lighting system came out later as an optional upgrade, but i never got round to getting it. Mine's still going strong after all this time! It still surprise's me the head of steam you can pick up with this little beauty. I bought the Twister 3D after mastering the Medivac, and now i'm just venturing into 3D with a Mini Titan. So not only is it GREAT fun to fly, but it'll teach you the basic's and allow you to progress when the time is wright.

I love my Medivac, and still fly many evening sortie's round the garden to wind down after a long day.

Cheer's, Dan.
dan c is offline Find More Posts by dan c
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
All flight is 3D.
various parts of NY
Joined Jan 2009
941 Posts
Okay for indoor as well as outdioor flight ?it's a lot like the Lama V3 in size and weight. Like most coax's in it's class it's probably okay for outdoor flying if you live in a place that doesn't see much wind. Where I live it's almost always breezy, if not downright windy. Except for those still, hot summer nights small heli's are restricted to indoor flying round these parts.

Othwerwise it looks quite nice. I like the lights and I love that classic Bell 47 design.
Lamedico is offline Find More Posts by Lamedico
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:11 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I agree that with wind flight becomes more complicated. This is true for both the heli and the pilot. I thought control movements were certainly enough to fight the wind and forward flight into the wind was not too bad. Even a hover held pretty good in a slight wind. Once you get sideways to the wind things get tough.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:56 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave
My version included the high quality TX flight simulator and MOPS system.
Quote:
Flight simulator is not high quality.
Any ideas on which of these statements is correct?
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:08 PM
Riverside, Ca
Joined Oct 2006
347 Posts
Who makes this heli? it uses cx2/3 blades frame and so on. Is this from eflite.
johnnycat500 is online now Find More Posts by johnnycat500
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:19 PM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Both- As advertised and as I saw it.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 78dave; Apr 16, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:29 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Both- As advertised and as I saw it.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, I didn't understand that one was advertising and the other your assessment.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hovering is Over-rated
Big Spring Tx
Joined Jan 2008
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500
Who makes this heli? it uses cx2/3 blades frame and so on. Is this from eflite.
It's made by Twister but it looks like some of the parts would be interchangable with eflite coaxials.
Saradog is offline Find More Posts by Saradog
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:30 PM
Riverside, Ca
Joined Oct 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saradog
It's made by Twister but it looks like some of the parts would be interchangable with eflite coaxials.

Yes very interesting. If you go to hobby lobby's heli parts it looks like most of the parts are the same as cx2/3
johnnycat500 is online now Find More Posts by johnnycat500
Old Apr 17, 2009, 07:32 PM
i stole gino's DP
United States, IL, Kane
Joined Nov 2006
437 Posts
my first heli too!
its great fun
jim.browne is offline Find More Posts by jim.browne
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:20 AM
Joined Mar 2006
494 Posts
Imagine yourself laying on one of the outboard bunks, and the rotorwash coming down at you, if the battlewounds would'nt kill you, you'd freeze to death...("luckily" a windshield for forward flight was provided ;-) Those were harsh times I'd say! (However, it was the same era that smoking was good for you and sex was safe!)

Laterrr,
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT