HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by fly_boy99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 05:54 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Today I was at the field and a buddy was maidening his 3rd F16 and it did 110mph pretty much all day long. And it was a stock setup with the exception of Don's motor and ESC. The setup is running about 650-700W on a 4S setup 2500mah lipo I believe.

Might be a good idea to give Don a PM. I think he has a hot setup that will take the F16 over 100mph with a 3S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstein9
looks great. I personally have yet to see an edf that has any speed.....without going to some enormous battery.

as soon as i find one...i am in.

so...if you can get this baby to do 100 mph on a standard 3 cell lipo....please let us know.

everytime someone shows up with an edf at the field.....i wind up dissapointed....not enough guts.

and i understand that it is not that easy to upgrade the powersystem...cause you are stuck with the diameter of the fan?

herb
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2008, 05:58 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Reducing drag and increasing speed.

I did something similar on my Lynx whereas I gained 5mph by clipping the wings about 1.5 inches!!!

Gary has a setup here:
http://morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_024.htm

I will do a small setup build as I promised Gary I would. Shouldn't take anytime at all, just gorilla glue the ply in place, dremel the insets for the vacuformed hold downs and wallah! It's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone
very nice work! what will you gain by clipping the wings and stab? also can you explain a little on how you did your removeable lower fuse and fan unit? thanks.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 06:54 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
ahh! sooner or later i'm going to end up ordering a set of those lol. my first (and last) excursion into plywood standoffs didn't turn out too pretty. it'll work just fine, but i'm not sure how many messy landings it will take to do it in.
i've got another ef16 airframe that i'm going to start as soon as the above mentioned one is done. i'll have to try clipping the wings. you did the tailerons and the vertical stab too?
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Dec 07, 2008, 02:23 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
I only clipped the wings and stab, not the tailerons.

I want movement when I need it at high speed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone
ahh! sooner or later i'm going to end up ordering a set of those lol. my first (and last) excursion into plywood standoffs didn't turn out too pretty. it'll work just fine, but i'm not sure how many messy landings it will take to do it in.
i've got another ef16 airframe that i'm going to start as soon as the above mentioned one is done. i'll have to try clipping the wings. you did the tailerons and the vertical stab too?
Old Dec 07, 2008, 08:18 AM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
ok one last question, how much material did you remove?
Old Dec 07, 2008, 08:46 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
I didn't even notice the vert stab, WOW you chopped a lot off of it.

When I was measuring the airframe parts to determine how much to remove to make it scale sized, I found that the vert stab was the only scale sized part on this plane (when compared to F-16C 3-views). The tailerons were too big in every direction, and the wings were 10 mm too long (fwd-aft) at the root chord and too wide (WS) by 20 mm (each wing) if I remember right.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:00 AM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
so i should chop 20mm off each wing, and leave the vert stab the same? i'm might actually start chopping today...
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:20 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
I believe I took 1.5" off the wings and the stab was probably around the same. You can wait for a flight report before doing the stab but I think it has plenty to do the job and reduce drag.

Fun stuff!!!