HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:12 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
RBC AT-6 Texan with Retracts

Here’s my latest project—yet to fly. It’s an RBC AT-6 Texan that I’ve equipped with Robart micro mechanical retracts. I beefed up the landing gear wire on the retracts from 3/32” to 1/8”. I’m using a Mega 22/30/3 direct drive, 8x3000, and an APC-E 12x8. Ready-to-fly weight is 3 lbs 5.5 oz and the static draw is 39 amps and 330 watts. Wingspan is 49 inches and wing area is 341 sq inches—22.6 ounces/sq ft.
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Last edited by EricBjorn; Feb 28, 2003 at 02:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:15 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
The model was designed to be a belly-lander, use a geared can motor, and fly on 2 servos—aileron and elevator. I’ve got 5 servos in her—dual aileron, elevator, rudder and retracts. I’m using an HS-85BB servo for the retracts and have them on a proportional control so I can raise and lower them scale. The retracts’ location is not scale but installation-convenient.

http://webpages.charter.net/bjornfam.../f_retract.avi

I’m using a UBEC even though my 70-amp Jeti ESC is rated for 5 servos. I figured there was too much chance of binding on the retracts and the retract servo will constantly be drawing current (I think) so I thought I’d play it safe.
Last edited by EricBjorn; Feb 28, 2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:17 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
We have an airshow this summer in our small town and the Aeroshell Acrobatic team is coming—just so happens they fly Texans so I had to model them. The RBC kit was well-cut, all-wood, and has a sheeted wing. Assembly instructions were almost non-existent—just assembly order—so it was somewhat challenging. I took a lot of construction pictures if anyone is interested. My Texan is covered with Oracover and I masked and sprayed the checkerboard cowl. The canopy frame is white pin striping and I’m waiting on a pilot. It was fun putting all the sponsor decals on her.

Once the weather clears, I hope to have a successful first flight.

Eric
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:28 AM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
AT-6

Eric, you Texan looks fabulous! I love the color scheme. I have been eyeing this kit for some time now since I saw on AEM website. I will buy this kit! I wll buy this kit! John Z.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:12 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
637 Posts
When you say proportional control, is that a function on the transmitter or is there another part that is connected inline of the servo and receiver?
SVX is online now Find More Posts by SVX
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:33 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX
When you say proportional control, is that a function on the transmitter or is there another part that is connected inline of the servo and receiver?
SVX,

I have a Futaba 9CAP transmitter that has variable rate sliders on the sides that I assigned to operate the retracts instead of using a two-position switch.

John,

Thanks. So, you gonna get one?

Eric
Old Feb 28, 2003, 03:33 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
779 Posts
WOW!

Eric:

That is an awesome looking Texan and I can see that I have my work cut out for me after your spectacular job has made its debut.

There are a lot of great looking covering schemes out there on the Reno Racer circuit, but yours is really cool, and should be highly visible in the air.

Can't wait for the maiden and your PIREP.

Congratulations on being first with retracts

Gary
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Old Feb 28, 2003, 04:49 PM
Stavanger Sola, Norway
Joined Oct 2000
581 Posts
Eric, your model looks great and RBC makes builders models.
Very nice models to build.Lovely color on this model.
Concerning retracts look herejust for info )

www.rbckits.com/id4.htm
Retracts have been used on this model since 1999.
Helge
Helge Sondresen is offline Find More Posts by Helge Sondresen
Last edited by Helge Sondresen; Feb 28, 2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 06:09 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Eric,
Your AT-6 is a work of art !! It is almost too beautiful to fly (i did say almost). The color scheme you chose is striking ....and should provide excellent visability when in the air. Now all we need is some good weather for a test flight. I hope it flies as good as it looks I'll be looking forward to your flight report.
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Mar 01, 2003, 12:00 AM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2001
262 Posts
Eric,

You will love flying this model. I have a 2nd one waiting to be built - first one was sold. It had Robart retracts also - good idea on the wires!

It flies very scale, especially with rudder. Anyone looking for rare Army color scheme? How about a (Navy) SNJ-6 in Army Olive Drab and Chrome Yellow?

Bruce
Bruce DeVisser is offline Find More Posts by Bruce DeVisser
Old Mar 01, 2003, 07:57 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Helge Sondresen
Eric, your model looks great and RBC makes builders models.
Very nice models to build.Lovely color on this model.
Concerning retracts look herejust for info )

www.rbckits.com/id4.htm
Retracts have been used on this model since 1999.
Helge
Helge,

When I was looking for an airplane to put retracts in, I ran across the RBC site and saw that Philipp Gardemin had added them to the Texan. The web site didn't give many details. I emailed him but never heard back--still, I decided to get the kit and give it a go. The flat bottom of the Texan wing makes it a good platform for a retracts installation.

Thanks everyone for the good words--I'm looking forward to first flight...but first, I gotta take this Bahamas cruise with my wife and sans kids!

Eric
Old Mar 01, 2003, 08:16 AM
Stavanger Sola, Norway
Joined Oct 2000
581 Posts
EricBjorn,
Good work!
That Bahamas cruise sounds terrible
My wife is dragging me to Barcelona,Spain next week.
Hope i'll find some good model shops...
Helge
Helge Sondresen is offline Find More Posts by Helge Sondresen
Old Mar 01, 2003, 08:29 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricBjorn

Thanks everyone for the good words--I'm looking forward to first flight...but first, I gotta take this Bahamas cruise with my wife and sans kids!
Eric
Sometimes a man just has to "stand (or whatever) and deliver"
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:05 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Lyerly
Sometimes a man just has to "stand (or whatever) and deliver"
Ed
Ed,

It's a lousy rotten job, but someone has to do it.

I have been blessed with a mid-career 6-month retirement which I've just completed. I retired from the USAF in Sep and start work for the DoD again 10 Mar. Since my wife works a good job, we never had any panic that I needed to land a job right away.

So...I've got a completed Kwik-E, Balsacraft Spittie, and RBC Texan to show for my "retirement." I've also collected an RBC A-4 kit, Ace Cloud Dancer kit, Balsacraft FW-190 kit, and an Embat to bash, not to mention lots of brushless motors and controllers. I've done tons of flying, weather permitting.

It's been great fun (and very expensive) being a nearly full-time modeler. You retired guys need to enjoy and use the freedom you've got! I've seen both sides now and retired is pretty nice when you have such a great hobby!

Eric
Old Mar 01, 2003, 11:05 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,413 Posts
AT-6 Get One?

Eric, You bet. I gotta get my CC down to a manageable level, but it's next on my wish list. I find the AT-6 Texan to be one of the classic trainer types. Sounds like a good solid flyer.
Good luck with yours! Break a wing! John Z
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger