SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:27 AM
Lurker
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Nov 2000
493 Posts
Design input for 3D limited production run airplane

I am in the process of designing a LPR high quality plane. The advice I am looking for is a electronics setup. What is the optimum setup in performance, efficiency, and cost. The cost is the last/least piece. The are a lot of great flying planes that are inexpensive. I want to design one that beats the others hands down. Something that makes no sense to buy but you can't help yourself...you just have to have one. If you are familiar with Discus Launch Gliders this would be the Taboo or the Encore of the electrics. Probably not in that price range though...well maybe once you add the motor.

A small 3D (30"-35'"wingspan) plane will be designed around this gear. I want to build it as a fiberglass over foam ship, and I am trying to keep the AUP weight under 14 oz. This plane will be durable but designed to fly...not crash. I can see a graphite spar and a kevlar LE for the wing. The wing would be interchangeable so you could make it a sports plane also.

I have the plane design in mind and the scale can go up or down based on the motor, battery, and esc. I would like to have separate aileron servos, elevator, rudder and retracts. Yep that's 5 servos and a speed control. It would require six channels to fly it. I guess retracts might be optional.

OK guys now is your chance for input.
KonstantKrash is offline Find More Posts by KonstantKrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:05 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
For that size and weight, a geared Hacker brushless w/lipo power will provide high power & high price at a light weight.

Scale or pure performance? Retracts would benefit a 3D design less than they would help pattern aerobatics with their higher speeds.

Just some food for thought.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē