Old Dec 03, 2008, 08:00 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Discussion
Waco YMF-3 Dave Platt -vs- Pica

Hi All,

I just picked-up a Dave Platt Waco YMF-3 60" biplane kit. I know that Platt designs went to Pica a while back. Does anyone know for sure if this is the same kit Pica went on to produce?

Thanks on advance!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Last edited by EJWash1; Dec 03, 2008 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2008, 09:58 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
There may be small differences, but the kit is basically the same.

Construction is "Old School," but very enjoyable.

When completed, you will have a great looking model that flys well.

My Pica WACO.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 04, 2008, 12:10 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,716 Posts
EJ - actually the kit is junk and doesn't fly very well. If you send it to me I'll be glad to properly dispose if it for you...

jk. Take your time (and this kit does take some time to build) and you'll be rewarded with a very nice, very accurate plane that can never be duplicated with and ARF. You'll absolutely love it once you're finished with it. And do a proper doped finish on it, not iron on plastic.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Dec 04, 2008, 07:53 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Tom,

That's what I figured. The cowling does not have the cylinder lifter cover "bubbles" on the cowling, at least in the picture. I'm guessing that they are glue-ons. Great looking model, by the way. What did you cover with?

Hogflyer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
EJ - actually the kit is junk and doesn't fly very well. If you send it to me I'll be glad to properly dispose if it for you...
I bet you would! Thanks! No plastic film covering!!!

Now, I'm conflicted. AMA offers the plans for a 1/5 scale, 72" WMF (plan #35406). I like the idea of a larger model.

Thanks for your input,

EJWash
Old Dec 05, 2008, 12:58 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
EJ

My WACO was covered in MonoKote.

Just kidding. I covered her in Super Coverite and painted her with Lustre Kote.

The cowl blisters, on the Pica kit, are glued on by the builder.

The plans for the 72" version, are of the larger Pica kit. Some modellers, from that other site, donated the plans and templates to the AMA. There is a huge thread, devoted to this WACO, on that site, in the Antiques forum.

If it were me,. I'd build your Platte kit. If you like it, then buy the AMA plans.

I can tell you that the smaller version flys extremely well, but the larger version flys even better.

At some point in the future, I plan to build another WACO. I'm thinking that Quarter Scale would be nice.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 12:37 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Hi Tom,

I waded through the build thread you mentioned on the other site last summer. The two modelers in the thread were building from Pepino 90" plans, right at 1/4-scale for the YMF-5's 30' (upper wing) wingspan.

The Pepino plans were giving the two build log modelers fits, especially in the way of the fuselage. The stringer slots in the formers did not line-up with each other along the run of the stringers. Not a big deal, now that the problem is known! Plus, there was a problem with the bottom wing saddle not fitting the wing in a scale manner. I was going to order a set of Pepino plans to tuck away in my plans stash, but decided to wait for either a re-write, or a different publisher.

I think I'll sit on the 1/6 YMF kit for now. I too prefer the larger scale models.

EJWash
Old Dec 06, 2008, 08:13 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
EJ

There is a thread, about WACOs in general, but goes into detail about the Pica kit. It's not a build thread.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that I had trouble with my wing saddle when I went to set the incidence.

There's a build thread for a 33% WACO going on over there.

Proctor seells two WACO kits, in 25% and 33%. If I build another, I think I'll go with one of them.
Old Dec 06, 2008, 01:19 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer

jk. Take your time (and this kit does take some time to build) and you'll be rewarded with a very nice, very accurate plane that can never be duplicated with and ARF. You'll absolutely love it once you're finished with it. And do a proper doped finish on it, not iron on plastic.

Hogflyer
Hello guys,

And do a proper doped finish on it, not iron on plastic.

The best advice I have read in a long time concerneing covering and finishing.

Get geuine aircraft dope as used by full size airplane rebuilders.
Do not get that stuff sold by hobby stores.

The stuff sold by hobby stores is too liquidy and you need too many coats and is VERY expensive.

Example without mentioning brand names.

Hobby stuff _ _ _ _
Three coats on bare wood,
Lay out fabric, three coats for gluing on the periphery.
Four coats nitrate.
Four coats butyrate.
Three or four coats color scheme.
two coats clear butyrate.
TOTAL coats 19.
Cost $52.00 a quart at the hobby shop.

Genuine dope for full size airplanes _ _ _ _
Two coats on bare wood,
Lay out fabric, two coats for gluing on the periphery.
Three coats nitrate.
Three coats butyrate.
Three coats color scheme.
One coat clear butyrate.
TOTAL coats 14
Cost $25.00 a quart.

Results with genuine dope is known to be still tight as a drum, no wrinkle and nice looking after over 50 years.

Results with hobby stuff is unknown.

Enjoy a well finished model airplane.
Also a well glued airplane with double gluing and glue fillets everywehere.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2008, 09:47 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Proctor seells two WACO kits, in 25% and 33%. If I build another, I think I'll go with one of them.
I visited the Proctor site. The YMF-5s offered by Germany's Flugmodellbau Barth are incredible! After building something like that, what's left? Of course you'd have to go radial too!

Surely Pepino knows of the needed fixes in his plans and is hopefully revising them?

EJWash
Old Dec 07, 2008, 12:45 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Unfortunately, Jim Pepino died several years back. If I remember correctly, his wife is operating the plans service. This does mean, however, that there is little chance of any revision to the plans.

The Barth WACOs are nice, for sure. I have a Saito 450. I wonder if it would fit in the cowling ? LOL

Actually, the big Saito is scheduled to power a 1/4 Hostetler Cessna 195.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:44 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Quote:
This does mean, however, that there is little chance of any revision to the plans.
I take it that if there were more/another set of 1/4 scale plans out there the Waco Brotherhood would make them known with their builds.

Quote:
The Barth WACOs are nice, for sure. I have a Saito 450. I wonder if it would fit in the cowling ? LOL
FORCE IT!!! Get a bigger hammer!

Quote:
Actually, the big Saito is scheduled to power a 1/4 Hostetler Cessna 195.
I have a set of those plans in the "stock pile" as well. I love the Hostetler plans. Easy to read (meaning BIG) and fiberglass parts available.
Your 450 (3-cylinder?) is going to make it produce an awesome noise...

EJWash
Old Dec 07, 2008, 07:52 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
EJ

Contact Stikbuilder, over there. He's a WACO expert, and a super nice guy. He may know if there are other plan sets out there.

I have the plans, kit, and glass parts for the big Cessna. I still need to purchase the landing gear. The firewall will need to be recessed to accomodate the Saito, but I can make it work.

I should start construction in late Spring. Look for a build thread, as I'll be doing one on the Groups.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:02 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Tom,

I have the main gear. Ordered it from Abell R/C:
http://www.abellrc.com/abellrchome.html

The main gear comes in two pieces.

Thanks for the head's up on stikbuilder. By the way, I sent Barth an email about plans. They only supply plans with their kits.

EJWash
Old Dec 08, 2008, 08:38 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Thanks, EJ.

I'm not fond of the 2 piece gear, but. Maybe I'll have TNT make up a single piece unit.

It's too bad that Barth won't sell just the plans.

If you're interested, I have the plans for an HKS, cabin model, designed by Norm Rosenstock. They are 1/5 scale, G-38 size.

They're a bit cut up, but useable. I also have most of the fuselage formers cut out.

You can have them for free. Send a PM if interested.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 10:54 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, EJ.

I'm not fond of the 2 piece gear, but. Maybe I'll have TNT make up a single piece unit.
I know what you mean. If you get TNT to make up the gear, let me know, please.

Quote:
It's too bad that Barth won't sell just the plans.
But they were VERY interested in selling me a kit!
Maybe after the new year I'll do some "heavy" fishing...

Quote:
If you're interested, I have the plans for an HKS, cabin model, designed by Norm Rosenstock. They are 1/5 scale, G-38 size.

They're a bit cut up, but useable. I also have most of the fuselage formers cut out.

You can have them for free. Send a PM if interested.
Wow! That's nice of you, thanks for the offer.

EJWash