HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2008, 12:47 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Discussion
Plans for a winding stooge?

Anyone have plans or link to plans for making a winding stooge?
thanks
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2008, 04:51 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
What kind of plane are you winding? Indoor/outdoor? This will determine what type of stooge you are looking for.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2008, 04:55 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani
What kind of plane are you winding? Indoor/outdoor? This will determine what type of stooge you are looking for.

- Norm
outdoor- saw a nice unit on ebay- not sure what they are worth.

I figured it looked pretty simple and since I've done all sorts of carpentry and custom metal fabrication I should be able to whip one up. Since I'm a newbie at this rubber powered stuff, it'd sure help to have a plan to know what's needed as far as functionality.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 06:32 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Here's a basic stooge on Thayer Symes page. http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ff...er/stooge.htmlI have a similar one except the side plates are 3/8" plywood. Base is a piece of scrap 1 by 2. This would mount on a tail gate or SUV floor.

The stooge below is sold by FAI Model Supply. It's called a Simple Stooge and is very versatile in the types of planes it will hold. See: http://www.faimodelsupply.com/ They have a catalog, but not online. Should be less that $100

- Norm
image did not come through - try: http://www.freeflightmodels.com/imag...mplestooge.jpg
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2008, 03:08 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,622 Posts
Well, they can be as simple or fancy as you want. I made mine from telescoping lengths of aircraft aluminium tubing and used windsurfing spring buttons to hold it together. It all folds up into a neat easy to carry package that even includes a sewn nylong bag that I put the stakes into.

It's also nice to have a forward support arm so that the nose of the model is not resting on the motor as you're winding. So you need a fold down or insertable arm of some form there as well.

As I recall we had a thread a couple of years back on our stooges with pictures and all. Anyone recall that? Or am I making it up as I type?
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 05, 2008, 12:05 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
I didn't find a thread about stooges here, but if anyone knows of one, please post a link.

There seems to be two ways to go as fas ar hooking the plane in- a solid rear peg, and a tube rear peg. With a solid peg it seems the sides of the stooge need to be close to the plane, fuselages or solid peg lengths would have to be very similar, or you need to have adjustable sides to accommodate different fuse widths. With a hollow rear peg, the sides do not have to be adjustable if you have a decent strength rod to slide through the peg. Seems like with some aluminum or even carbon fiber tube one could always go the hollow motor peg route.

Advice?Can anyone help a newbie out here?

FYI- Nobody in my club flies FF- so I'm going by books and web for all this stuff. After spending time on my rubber/rc Smoothie idea, I decided to start at square 1 and learn about this FF stuff some what from the beginning. (Although I have build experience, and know about cg, trim, decalage, glues, etc. from kit building, scratch building and trimming sailplanes and other r/c models) I've been reading Ross's Rubber Models book, and just received Warner's book on the Flying Aces Moth. The Moth will be my first victim.

Also found a club fairly close to me, so that will be a huge help when I can meet up with those guys. Anyone here a member of the Bong Eagles? (yeah, yeah, yeah... ok, get it out of your systems- jokes expected. But that really is the name of the club !)
Old Dec 05, 2008, 01:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbeat
Also found a club fairly close to me, so that will be a huge help when I can meet up with those guys. Anyone here a member of the Bong Eagles? (yeah, yeah, yeah... ok, get it out of your systems- jokes expected. But that really is the name of the club !)
I was going to suggest you get in contact with local FF'ers. Bong Eagles would be perfect.

Basic stooges are really simple and there are many variations. I was surprised that the Ross book doesn't cover/show stooges. The Ross book does explain winding with a blast tube and this is something you should consider.

Use an aluminum tube for the rear peg. For a Moth 1/8 -3/16 o.d. should be OK.
The Moth is a good place to start.

Order a catalog from FAI Model Supply. You can use it as a source and reference for things like winders, Crocket hooks and rubber.

- Norm
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2008, 05:34 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani
I was going to suggest you get in contact with local FF'ers. Bong Eagles would be perfect.

Basic stooges are really simple and there are many variations. I was surprised that the Ross book doesn't cover/show stooges. The Ross book does explain winding with a blast tube and this is something you should consider.

Use an aluminum tube for the rear peg. For a Moth 1/8 -3/16 o.d. should be OK.
The Moth is a good place to start.

Order a catalog from FAI Model Supply. You can use it as a source and reference for things like winders, Crocket hooks and rubber.

- Norm
Good ideas- thanks for the info/tips on the Moth Norm.

Neither book really covers making a stooge with any detail, although both books discuss a bit about the use of one. From what I've been able to see in pics and gather from what I've read, it's a pretty simple ordeal. You never know what you don't know, so I figured a post here made sense!

cheers
Old Dec 06, 2008, 01:53 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,622 Posts
Well, it sounds like we need a thread about stooges. It's crazy for a free flight forum to NOT have a definitive thread about stooges.

Lest it get lost in this thread let's start a new one. I'll set mine up and take pictures of it tomorrow and if no one else has already started the the new thread I will.

Stay tuned.....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:19 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
Y'all gonna be shocked when I put a pic of my stooge up.......but it works and has done since Adam was a boy......well almost.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Dec 07, 2008, 06:49 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
325 Posts
You don't have to have anything fancy as a stooge. Mine is made from a plastic spade handle, a length of broom handle, a length of piano wire and a bit of string!
Cut the middle out of the spade handle and drill holes in the sides. Sharpen one end of a yard/metre of broom stale. Bend a loop on the piano wire (music wire? to colonials) and tie it to the handle with string so you don't lose it. Hammer the broom stale into the ground and put the handle on it and you're ready to wind! Admittedly I havn't tried to wind anything fancier than a KK Contestor, nor do I intend to ...
My winder is an old hand drill with another spade handle!
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:25 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,236 Posts
I saw a stooge like this in an old NFFS digest, and cobbled one together out of some 3/16ths craftwood from WallyWorld. (For future reference, I should have measured the angle of the window, instead of putting the support platform 90 degrees to the slots; gotta build another one of these so it doesn't pull down on the nose of the plane to wind it.)

Nightowl
TheNightowl is online now Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
wingbeat,

It ain't rocket science! Here's a couple pics of the stooge I whipped up for my smaller indoor models. It's made of lite ply that I scrounged from a box that once held tangerines(!), with some 1/16" ply reinforcements at the top where the piano wire pin slips in. The clamp holds it onto a table for winding.

Nightowl's design looks really handy for outdoor models.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:32 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Jul 2009
14 Posts
Winding Stooge

I too am a 'newbie' and am interested in building a winding stooge. I will try to attach some photos I took at the Bong Eagles fun fly. I have just registered with this site, so I'm not sure this will work.
flytyer96 is offline Find More Posts by flytyer96
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:54 PM
Denton Tx
Joined Apr 2003
59 Posts
stooges from Geneseo

Here are a few photos that I took at Geneseo last week.
faif2d is offline Find More Posts by faif2d