SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2008, 10:05 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Discussion
next plane- trojan or typhoon

i fly a hobbyzone super cub now (doing an aileron mod soon) and will have some 4ch practice ( as well as fms) but i cant decide on a next plane...

i learn really quick and am interested in 3d, but the trojan has great reviews.

Basically, im stuck....

KMart
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2008, 10:37 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
The Typhoon is sill out of your flying abilities. It's quick maneuvering capabilities, even on ow rates can cause you to crash. Definately gowith the T-28 for now, then you can go to te Typhoon.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 02, 2008, 10:52 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Depending on your flying skills and building skills and since your interested in 3D flying, the Typhoon may be a ok option. You don't have to get the full set-up Typhoon, you can get the airframe and put a smaller motor in it for now. If you keep it light and reduce the throws some, it will fly just like a parkflyer! I know, I built one and I even used a $9.00 24 gram outrunner on it and get near vertical and easy hand launches.
I even fly it in front of my house, in the street!
Plus the airframe when built light will survive a lot harder crash than built heavy.
Then once you master it, just up-grade the motor for 3D! Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
funny, both of these are my 2 reasons for getting one or the other...
butch, what kinda setup do you have? ive never bought an arf before, so im new to the whole motor and esc buying world...
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:41 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I did a real light build and it flys great. The guys just can't believe it only has a 24 gram motor on it. There are tons on motors that will fit. The bigger the motor the bigger the batt and everything else. The Esskay 400 is a real popular outrunner for a Typhoon sized parkflyer.
Heres a link;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838407
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Dec 03, 2008, 12:25 AM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
If you want to eventually learn 3D, I would get the Typhoon as well. I love mine and I haven't been flying that long. There was a guy on here selling PNP versions for $65 but he sold out pretty quickly. Butch's plan sounds like a pretty good one.
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
Old Dec 03, 2008, 12:34 AM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
If your good with the super cub then you'll be fine with the typhoon. I own the T-28 but have flow the typhoon, both fly great. The t-28 always makes it out to the field.

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Old Dec 03, 2008, 12:39 AM
That's me.
San Francisco Area, CA
Joined Jan 2008
930 Posts
I had the typhoon for a while. It was twitchy, but it flew ok once you got used to it. You could probably handle it with a little 4ch experience under your belt.
R/C_Addict is offline Find More Posts by R/C_Addict
Old Dec 03, 2008, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
thanks everyone, ill be getting the trojan...
then get the typhoon...
Old Dec 03, 2008, 06:18 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
then get the typhoon...
Yes, the Trojan is the better choice. It'll do the sort of broad banking turns you've gotten used to on rudder and elevator alone all day long. You can then transition into flying on aileron and elevator, and then rudder/aileron/elevator flying on it (all on low-rates and minimum control surface throw,) and it's got enough power and throw in the control surfaces that you can learn to haul the plane through some fairly impressive aerobatics.

Any 3D aircraft will have the sort of control surfaces (and the high-speed, high-torque servos to drive them) that will make for some breathtaking roll-rates even with the radio set to low-rate. Yes, you can make it fly around the sky in a thoroughly boring fashion, but you'll be doing that by flying the plane with as little stick movement as possible.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Dec 03, 2008, 07:42 PM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Quote:
then get the typhoon...
I did the same last year about this time. Bought the Trojan and moved on to the typhoon later.

The trojan is a GREAT choice.
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
Old Dec 03, 2008, 08:03 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyGlow
I did the same last year about this time. Bought the Trojan and moved on to the typhoon later.

The trojan is a GREAT choice.
well since you are a fellow coloradan, i will have to take your advice...

im thinkin i will order the trojan after xmas from airland hobbies. Even tho ill already have a spektrum set, i think .......... idk now i have to decide rtf or pnp

i guess the no battery deal isn't that bad, i can just get one from hobbycity...
Old Dec 03, 2008, 08:15 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Quote:
well since you are a fellow coloradan, i will have to take your advice...

im thinkin i will order the trojan after xmas from airland hobbies. Even tho ill already have a spektrum set, i think .......... idk now i have to decide rtf or pnp

i guess the no battery deal isn't that bad, i can just get one from hobbycity...
Get a PNP.....parkzone batteries are...uhhh....not worth it. You can get GOOD batteries for cheaper than parkzones duds.

I don't think the T28 has a 2.4 radio in the RTF version, either.

Do you fly at any of the fields in Denver?? Chatfield..cherry creek....arvada??? I don't think I met you at this get together...did I?? (we're mostly heli peoples...but alot of us are plankers, too.)
Old Dec 03, 2008, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
no we haven't met.
I mostly fly here in the Springs. Especially since i cant drive yet, going up to Denver is a challenge.
Airlandhobbies.com has a really good deal on a rtf that comes with a different bigger bat. and i just looked on hobbycity and found some 20c 2200s for 17 bucks.
no its not 2.4, but if i wanted to set my friend up with something...
But ya, i think i will get pnp
Old Dec 03, 2008, 09:05 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Well....there were some folks from the Springs there...just making sure I didn't know you. Steve/hellseige is a cool guy...you should see where him and all his buds fly.
Careful though....they'll get you hooked on rotary wing....

Be sure you get some extra cowls for the trojan...... ...those things break EASY. Especially when cold.