SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm a lead farmer Mother ^%$^%
Lakeland, Fl.
Joined Apr 2007
444 Posts
Discussion
Need Info on New 90mm HET F/A- 18

New HET model out and I want one. Was added to EJF.com's website on Saturday. Does anyone have any info on weight and retract ability? Post all available info here.
F/A-18
Sniper.308 is offline Find More Posts by Sniper.308
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2008, 08:27 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
kinda expensive,you can get something so much nicer for the price
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Dec 02, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm a lead farmer Mother ^%$^%
Lakeland, Fl.
Joined Apr 2007
444 Posts
Only $288.00 I paid $500.00 for my Tam F-16 and it's the same size.
Sniper.308 is offline Find More Posts by Sniper.308
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:05 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
But your tam f-16 is 1,000 times the het f-18 model will ever be in quality.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:22 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
But your tam f-16 is 1,000 times the het f-18 model will ever be in quality.
To each his own I suppose

Granted, Im a little biased, but I wouldnt go and say 1,o0o times better...

I have a $300 Panther flying on 650 watts that was passing up turbine guys at AZ-Jets.

Whats the moral of the story???
Dumping tons of money into a ship isnt everybody's particular cup of tea.
Performance is just that, and some people will take a HET product over a Tamjet anyday of the week.

As far as the F/A-18 goes, EJF will be doing a build (Hopefully with retracts) in the near future.
Stand by...

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Im saying quality between the het and tam. Het models suck as far as quality goes. Their crappy ass polyester resin is totally sub-par. Cracks and spider webs easily from just handling them. I have several of them all het models. me-262.f-4, but its wood,x 2 mig-29's, and had a f-16. All the same story. Look good from far but far from good!! Id take a tam or bvm model over het any day of eternity!!! Quality is most important to me. That is what seperates us I guess. Between being made for retracts, great molds and superb paint all het has is better pricing. But that would be expected from bad manufacturing on hets part. Ya get what ya pay for and that holds very true in this scenario. Het has good ideas and makes excellent fans!!!! But the quality needs to be stepped up, starting with retract mounts being pre-installed, so if ya want em there there and if ya dont dont cut em out. And the biggest killer is how they are made!! Id gladly pay 30-40$$ more per model if they were made with the quality of a K&A model. Epoxy resin instead of low grade polyester crack if a sneeze at it wrong resin. All of course my opinions and Im not biased. I just say it like it is. If het were like what I said above Id have all of them. But that wont happen cause they are massed produced!!
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:42 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,855 Posts
i'll second that. i was disapointed with the het f16 i had. glass/molding wasnt that great. the rudder was severely warped, and it came pre cracked all over. not to say that perhaps other het kits might be better, ive heard good things about their f15. ive never had a tam model, so i cant say yeah or nay, but the polyester resin used in the het models isnt helping. if they used epoxy resin. even if the cost were more, they would be much better arfs. just my 2 cents. also dont want to be a hoser, but the only foam panther i saw at az only looked to be going about 100-110. still a great looking and flying model by all means though.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 03, 2008, 12:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
You know dont get me wrong for the $$ they arent bad if ya dont mind all the imperfections. If they just stepped up the quality. I talked to Robert at ejf and william at turbofan and they claim they have talked to Fritz about this several times. Epoxy is stronger and more flexible. The reason they use polyester is that you can use more catalyst or hardener usually acetone or mek it will cure 5 times faster than epoxy resin. So you can control the speeds in which they setup. That makes them produce more models faster at the cost of quality. It will catch up eventually to them. Thats my point. It not that het flies bad, cause they dont, and there are several cool models to choose from. Its just they sorta fall apart. If ya ever owned one of tams models you will know what Im talking about. I just hope one day they change this. It would probably make them one of the best manufactureres out there of 70mm edfs. I like the new f-18 90mm. But it doesnt have full flying stabs and thats a no no to me at the very least.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 12:07 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
also dont want to be a hoser, but the only foam panther i saw at az only looked to be going about 100-110. still a great looking and flying model by all means though.
Was probably mine.
Not claiming its the fastest by all means; Now your FURY is FAST! lol

Anyways, this discussion is good. MAAAYBE HET reps are lookin' in and will at least consider stepping up their glass work.
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Dec 03, 2008, 02:24 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,570 Posts
Back to the F-18 Questions

Does it have full intake ducts?

Looks like there is no exaust duct supplied, is that the case?

Is it retract ready?
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2008, 02:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Its not retract ready I know that for sure.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 03:06 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
Here's some pics I got of the one Robert at EJF got as a sample. I made comments to the pics but they got erased so judge for yourself.

It's better but far from perfect. In the other pics I've seen, the wings have too much taper, and I don't think there's a flying tail. But it's better than most of the foamy arf F-18s with super long fixed landing gear (are we expecting a flood?).
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 03, 2008, 09:27 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
I am glad there are companies making lower cost options, even at the expense of quality. If I had to spend the money I spent on the Aeronaut Panther for every airframe, I would have a lot less airplanes. I like being able to choose which ones to spend more for and which ones to go cheap on.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Dec 03, 2008, 10:13 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,570 Posts
Agreed
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
White Salmon, Wa
Joined Oct 2003
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
Here's some pics I got of the one Robert at EJF got as a sample. I made comments to the pics but they got erased so judge for yourself.

It's better but far from perfect. In the other pics I've seen, the wings have too much taper, and I don't think there's a flying tail. But it's better than most of the foamy arf F-18s with super long fixed landing gear (are we expecting a flood?).
What fan is that in the picture? I thought this was made for a 90mm fan. Is that a 90mm HET fan?

Kip
RCAV8R13 is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8R13