SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Yea I thought of trying to work the rudder and elevator by hand alot to see if that would "soften" them up but I was worried about breaking them. But I'll try to see if I can do that. I'm going to really think about putting some hinges on them though. I think it would be alot easier on the servos. And it would be like a little project I could work on to maybe make the plane a little better. And my clevis is way high I didnt even think of moving it down some I just put a little bend in the control rod to make the difference up. "Duh" on my part!! Later...
louisiana boy is offline Find More Posts by louisiana boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:41 AM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Anymore updates on the wing tiger guys? Mine should be here by end of week, ill let ya'll know how it arrived. knock on wood
cody9105 is offline Find More Posts by cody9105
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:17 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Hey there,

I've flown Wingtiger on sunday, I loved it! It was moderately windy, and winds are something I'm afraid of the most - no problem while flying but landings.... ouch. What I hate the most is when landing in direction opposite to direction of wind, wind suddenly stops, thus the plane starts falling like a rock due to lack of lift. GRRR.. hate that. Other than that, I've had a few really nice landings plus some rough ones, but the day was really beautiful for some flying.

I'm happy how my little mod to battery compartment turned out. At first I wanted to make a new one outta plywood but instead I decided to hollow out the stock one and glue it back properly. BEWARE - stock glueing job on the batt. compartment is really poor. My guess is about 6-7 rough landings and it will start to tilt. Nothing some epoxy can't handle...

I'm getting more confident on my landings. BEWARE! Confidence is a mother of all screwups.

Cheers!
MadCroat is offline Find More Posts by MadCroat
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thorndale
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
I got my Wingtiger about a month ago. The rudder was extremely warped right out of the box. Pete from BH told me to use a hairdrier to soften it and reform it. Didn't work so I got some really thin wire rod and strightened it that way. The first flight went very badly but it is back together now. I noticed my motor was spinning really stiff, it wasn't bent, just really stiff. So I ordered a new motor yesterday.

I'd also like to know some info on the motor because I'd also like to go brushless in the future.
fishysteve is offline Find More Posts by fishysteve
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishysteve
I got my Wingtiger about a month ago. The rudder was extremely warped right out of the box. Pete from BH told me to use a hairdrier to soften it and reform it. Didn't work so I got some really thin wire rod and strightened it that way. The first flight went very badly but it is back together now. I noticed my motor was spinning really stiff, it wasn't bent, just really stiff. So I ordered a new motor yesterday.

I'd also like to know some info on the motor because I'd also like to go brushless in the future.
Hi Steve!

All we know about the motor is that it's a "Speed 550". Hell I guess that .25 size electric equivalent would run the Tiger just nicely...

I'll run the stock motor until it drops dead.

Cheers!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Wingtiger arrived today. The packaging was great, no scratches or dents whatsoever. Couple problems I have noted so far is that the elevator and rudder were stiff but I also "worked them out" as an earlier post explains,cheap fix also the JST connectors fit extremely tight together- which could be a good thing. The wings joined together with some glue, a wood peice and a small steel rod, if the wings were to some how come apart I do not believe I would have a plane anymore . The power behind this plane seems to have enough power to get it into space and beyond. I have not had a chance to fly this plane, planning on doing so tomorrow. I will keep you all updated, ill stay away from trees this time FAR away. Knock on wood Happy Flying

The rubber bands and nose cone is not on the plane when I took the picture
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody9105
Wingtiger arrived today. The packaging was great, no scratches or dents whatsoever. Couple problems I have noted so far is that the elevator and rudder were stiff but I also "worked them out" as an earlier post explains,cheap fix also the JST connectors fit extremely tight together- which could be a good thing. The wings joined together with some glue, a wood peice and a small steel rod, if the wings were to some how come apart I do not believe I would have a plane anymore . The power behind this plane seems to have enough power to get it into space and beyond. I have not had a chance to fly this plane, planning on doing so tomorrow. I will keep you all updated, ill stay away from trees this time FAR away. Knock on wood Happy Flying

The rubber bands and nose cone is not on the plane when I took the picture

You got your bird, COOOL! Congrats!

Last week I did some mods on mine, when I started to use collet adapters other than stock, I've noticed that I have to put 1-2 washers under the prop so it doesn't keep scratching itself on cowling while spinning. To overcome this, I've cut 2 pieces of 4mm plywood and I screwed them behind the motor mount and behind the front steerable wheel to move the whole party forward for 4mm.

Now I am able to use hobbycity silicone spinners, which are more breakable than stock rubber spinner - but hell my Tiger has a real Cessna look now

Yeah, watch it for stock collet adapter. Mine was so bent it kept the prop spinning totally out of balance. Without the rubber spinner, like on your picture, try to give it some throttle to see if it spins in center. It's quite risky to fly if it's not centered. You could lose your prop in the air or worse - damage your motor. There's large variety of 3.17 or 3.2mm collet adapters out there that can be used with Wingtiger's stock motor.

I've also replaced stock wheels. They're done totally wrong - Pete if you are reading this, and I know you are, I also know you're hiding because you gave me false hope for getting that replacement servo! Anyways, please read my comment on the stock wheels and try to explain a thing or two to those Art Tech guys!

What I wanted to say about stock wheels - holes on mine weren't centered at all. Made my Tiger bounce up-down, up-down, I almost crashed mine on takeoff because of that. Also, the plastic parts (I don't know the word for the part of the wheel on which comes the tire) are too small and tires too large. Big tires are damaged too quickly. I've ordered a few 60mm wheels from hobbycity and replaced them, my taxiing is now far more stable, as are takeoffs and landings.

Clear skies!

MC
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Well ah be. The stock wheels on mine are nice, except that they can move about 1/2 inch, take the plastic tips off and add a collar on each axle so that they cant move so much. As for the propellor it is perfectly centered. At full throttle theres no shaking or anything. I may add bigger wheels-but keep it same weight as stock-so it can take off and land on grass. Ill keep you all posted of my flight tomorrow.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:35 PM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Finally had some time to fly the plane today. It was a bit windy with winds of 15-20mph. Plane flew great, very responsive and a great trainer plane. Completly satisfied with this plane.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Finally had some time to fly the plane today. It was a bit windy with winds of 15-20mph. Plane flew great, very responsive and a great trainer plane. Completly satisfied with this plane.
Outstanding!

Glad you had fun. I had fun too at my maiden too, it was perfect, but my nice careful first landings with Tiger made me a little bit cocky... and cocky means making mistakes. I just got too confident on landings so afterwards, I had a few rougher ones... but no damage. I just had to fix the main landing gear a little bit and that's it...

I'm seriously thinking of putting gyros on all three axles... to be able to fly stable on little bit windy weather...

Now I finally have time to bench-test TGS Sport 10x7E prop a little bit more. Didn't try to fly with it yet, and I'm really curious about the way plane will handle. First, I just want to see what will the current curve say about going from 0 to 100% throttle in an instant... if it breaks 30A for let's say... 5 or more amps, I think I'll have to abort... gonna try 10x6 then for sure - as soon as I order some!

Cheers!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Just be careful of hitting any bumps, propellor doesnt have much clearance to the ground. I added some bigger tires to mine so propellor wont hit ground so much. Glad the weather is finally startin to break. I flew at a different place with a larger field and I like it better than the place that ate my begin-air, btw the plane is still hanging got that sucker up there pretty good. As for modding the WingTiger I did what all Im going to do- bigger wheels.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Just be careful of hitting any bumps, propellor doesnt have much clearance to the ground. I added some bigger tires to mine so propellor wont hit ground so much. Glad the weather is finally startin to break. I flew at a different place with a larger field and I like it better than the place that ate my begin-air, btw the plane is still hanging got that sucker up there pretty good. As for modding the WingTiger I did what all Im going to do- bigger wheels.
Bigger wheels is what I've done too... and I like them better over stock, better quality and they're actually CENTERED... lol
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Hey guys what size tires did you put on your plane? I badly need some new tires the center hole in the hub of the wheel is alot larger than the landing rod and is causing the plane not to handle to good on the ground. Espescially the front wheel it goes all over the place. What is the deal with my rudder/nose wheel servo, no matter how I adjust it when i move the servo after it goes back to neutral it, 9 times out 10the servo makes a noise like it is in a bind and I can take and move the control rod with my hand too "free it up" and the servo stops making the noise? Did you guys have the same prob. and how did you fix it?? And also about the wheels am I correct that the size of the landing rod is 1/8"?

Thanks guys
louisiana boy is offline Find More Posts by louisiana boy
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:59 PM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Same here. Theres like a constant hmmmmmmm from the rudder/nose wheel servo. I rarely use my rudder in flight so I aint to worried about it. I also tried adjusting the servo and the noise is still there.

As for the wheels I used, I had some old wheels from other planes that worked good. Theres no writing on them but Id say they are 80mm-there foam and extremely light. The stock wheels are 55mm, correct me if Im wrong. Aslo the replacement wheels are wider-and dont move all over the place-than stock and actually fit nice and smooth. Ill get a picture of the wheels later tonight.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Same here too. Constant "HUMMM" from the rudder servo. My guess is that the rudder control surface is causing too much resistance. Maybe idea to put hinges is not a bad idea at all. Another thing about the rudder, unfortunately I've epoxied the whole tail section and fuselage and I've had a hard time doing it but it worked - since I also had a bent rudder I decided to finally iron it and, guys, it works. Just iron it on a level surface with a home iron, and after you put some heat on it, put a book or something also level on it until it cools down. It worked for me.

I've tested that TGS 10x7E prop and numbers were a bit too high Constant current draw was around 25-26 amps and zero to full throttle in an instant was measured with peaks at 36-37 amps and more experienced electric flyers tell me that's too high and will eventually kill the ESC. Some more testing on the way but I guess I won't be using that prop with this ESC/motor setup.

Cheers!