SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Madcoat what exactly am I looking at on the charts? Sry Im new at rc and all that stuff. You are testing different props. right? They are for the stock engine on the Wingtiger right? And which one performs better so far?
Thanks. How is your wingtiger flying?
louisiana boy is offline Find More Posts by louisiana boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisiana boy
Madcoat what exactly am I looking at on the charts? Sry Im new at rc and all that stuff. You are testing different props. right? They are for the stock engine on the Wingtiger right? And which one performs better so far?
Thanks. How is your wingtiger flying?
Hey there LB.

To understand those charts you must know the battery/ESC/motor relations. The most important values on those charts are Current and Power (WATTs)Stock ESC is 30A, and it is important that static tests show that full throttle does not exceed that current value - that would mean overloading ESC, and you could have a burnout in the air. Bigger pitch/larger mass props draw more amps. That's why I was pleased that that big 10x7 prop (actually weighs 20 grams, that's a bit heavy for a propeller for this plane) drew only 2 amps more than small 9x6 APC with. However, with prop of that size the one must be cautious not to accelerate too quickly, to avoid current peaks when motor tries to achieve RPM value on the given voltage.

I love my Wingtiger, it flies stable. I have the same problem with rudder. Was thinking of ironing it!
MadCroat is offline Find More Posts by MadCroat
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Madcoat, thanks for the info on the props. I need to get a new prop and was wondering what size to get guess I'll get the 10 x 7. My wingtiger flew great but every now and then it would just turn without me doing anything and last sunday was out flying it making a slow turn and it all of a sudden turned all the way to the left and nosedived in to the ground. So I got a new wing on the way hope to be flying again soon. Hows your landing going I have been practicing alot but it seems like the plane doesnt want to glide in slow. Alot faster than I was expecting but its getting better. Thanks again for the prop. info.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 02:24 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Ditch the stock radio system if you get the chance. They're crap, especially if stock radio is 35 MHz. I fly with DX6i and I love it, no problems whatsoever.

Get smaller size props too. Bigger propeller pitch can achieve bigger speed but it will reduce plane's power to climb. I recommend that for starters, you still use a 10x5 or a 9x6 electric propeller. I still don't know what's the flight data for those propeller, I'll probably record data today afternoon. If I do, I'll post my results.

You never know, numbers can turn out good and you can still have a burnout (very rare case) and I'm new to data logging but I understand basics of electric flying very well.

More results to come.

Cheers!
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:24 PM
Ankara, TURKiYE
Joined Oct 2008
1 Posts
ESC blown in the air

yeah, just like you had warned about, my ESC blown midair in my second flight, resulting an unavoidable spin and crash, from maybe 300 ft altitude.. changed the ESC and still continuing with no prob. plane?.. she was ready to fly again in an hour.. solid as a rock... godspeed..
erdogani2004 is offline Find More Posts by erdogani2004
Old Apr 06, 2009, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Ouch! ESC went bye-bye?! What size prop were you using and what was your flying style, did you manage throttle to fly casual, like having it on 50-70% mostly, or did you keep it full throttle all the time? Did you bench-test your setup?

Please post those thingys as they will sure prove useful to all of us flying Wingtiger. I too crashed my Tiger but I managed to somehow crash land it - I drained my battery too much. No damage except prop and a few scratches on main wing and fuselage.

I also noticed that AT LiPos are bottlenecking the whole electric system. I put a 1750 mAh LiPo at 20C discharge rate in, and Tiger performs noticeably better.

Good luck!

EDIT: I re-read you r post, looks like you were flying with stock setup. Please confirm, thanks!
Old Apr 06, 2009, 02:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Guys!

Let's keep this Wingtiger trainer thread alive. It would be great if you guys posted some movies of your Tigers inflight.

Yeah, some new info:

I tried to fly Tiger last weekend with Master Airscrew 10x5 prop and with TGS Sport 10x5E prop. TGS prop performs really beautiful for a 10x5, better than MA. IMHO, this motor needs a bigger pitch prop. 9x6 worked awesome. I will try 10x6 TGS, need to order a bunch too. 10x7 looks good on static bench testing. Kind of sceptic about actually flying with it... 10x6 test scheduled for now, we'll se about 10x7.

Cheers!
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
I know madrcoat u said u dont use the stock radios that come with the wingtiger, but what about u other guys? Whats your thought about the new 2.4 ghz radio that comes with the new wingtiger? And also guys I dont know what wingtiger u got or how old it is but mine was bought in early feb. and they changed up the wing. Now they put two servos for the ailerons, one on each side of the wing, where mine only has one servo and when I ordered a new wing they sent me the new style and it would not work, so make sure if you need a new wing that it is the new style or? And make sure it comes with the hardware to assemble the plane like the wooden dial and wire rod support brace that goes in the wing.. mine didnt...well since early feb. I have only 1 week of flying because of problems with the plane so I hope things are getting better.. keep this thread going like madcroat says its good to hear the good and the bad with this plane ....good flying guys!!
Old Apr 08, 2009, 03:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisiana boy
I know madrcoat u said u dont use the stock radios that come with the wingtiger, but what about u other guys? Whats your thought about the new 2.4 ghz radio that comes with the new wingtiger? And also guys I dont know what wingtiger u got or how old it is but mine was bought in early feb. and they changed up the wing. Now they put two servos for the ailerons, one on each side of the wing, where mine only has one servo and when I ordered a new wing they sent me the new style and it would not work, so make sure if you need a new wing that it is the new style or? And make sure it comes with the hardware to assemble the plane like the wooden dial and wire rod support brace that goes in the wing.. mine didnt...well since early feb. I have only 1 week of flying because of problems with the plane so I hope things are getting better.. keep this thread going like madcroat says its good to hear the good and the bad with this plane ....good flying guys!!
Hey LB,

If two servos is the only issue you can't get it to work, just get an Y cable and plug both servos in and plug the Y cable into receiver aileron channel. IMHO, stock radios are crap in both cases, 35MHz or 2,4 GHz. I'd use any of them for flying a home made depron park flyer, nothing above that. Try to reuse the rest of the missing parts from the old wing... unfortunately Art Tech does this often, they pack something and the content is incomplete.

Godspeed to you, and everyone else, don't let these things kill your love for this hobby. Nothing better than to think of something on your own and put it on one of your models. Will it work? You'll find out soon enough! If it doesn't work, you'll soon think of something better - that's the beauty of this hobby.

Cheers!
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:51 PM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Hello everyone,
Last christmas I recieved a Parkflyers Begin-Air, which had several issues. The 50A speed control which came with the plane did not seem to be even close to a 50A speed controller. With the fully charged Nimh battery, I connected the battry and tried and surface controls- so far so good. Then pushed the push button and gave transmitter some throttle until the propellor started spinning- still going good so far. About half throttle the motor shut off- ut oh, now what. Tried several times, same thing. Next step, took propellor off and everything worked superb. Alright so what good is a plane that only works at half throttle and shuts down and only way to get it back going again is push the push button sooooooo converted plane to brushless bygolee that sucker had some power behind it. Two days later was flying behind an elementary school. Plane flew great, loops, barrel rolls, inverted, all around good plane. After flight was done landed plane, recharged battery and off to the sky again. About 5 minutes into the flight, I wasnt high enough to make it over the trees. And oh boy it didnt sound good: crunch, pop, snap, wack, boom. The plane rest in a tree about 80 feet high-the first branches are 20 feet high sooooo.... while Im waiting for mother nature to blow the plane down, time to start looking for another plane. While I was looking for another plane I came across the Wing Tiger V2 that bananaHobby offers. Either order it tonight or sometimes tomorrow. I will keep you all posted of recent updates. Happy Flying and watch out for trees
cody9105 is offline Find More Posts by cody9105
Old Apr 09, 2009, 06:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
UH!

Trees are one of my biggest fears. Thanks god there's none in 2km radius on my favorite flying field!

Glad you will join the Wingtiger club, welcome aboard! You will find that this plane is more fun than P.I.T.A although there's a certain dose of P.I.T.A in this and every other airplane IMHO

Please do post your out-of-the-box experience, and tape the maiden if possible!

Good luck!
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:35 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
AAAAhhh. Tomorrow I'm ending with work a little bit earlier. That means - straight to the field when I get out! Gonna do 4-5 hours worth of flying... time to get the Wingtiger back into air. I really feel confident, that after one more static bench test with TGS 10x7E prop I'm gonna do some flying with it. I'll report my findings!

Cheers!
Old Apr 09, 2009, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2008
25 Posts
Ordered BananaHobby's Wing Tiger earlier today. Total cost was almost $175-that includes the shipping cost. So by early to mid next week it should arrive. Ill let you all know how the packing was and if theres any damage done. For the madian flight ill go to a different area with NO trees . Btw I went to my LHS to see what they had in stock and I came across an E-Flight Apprentice 15e RTF and by the looks of it these two planes are nearly identical so why is the e-flight airplane much more expensiver? Happy Flying
cody9105 is offline Find More Posts by cody9105
Old Apr 09, 2009, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Whats your guys thoughts of trying to put hinges on the elevator and rudder of the wingtiger. It seems that the servo has a lot of work trying to work the control surfaces
with the way they are setup. The control rod to the rudder and elevator on my plane bends and you can tell that they are in a bind. The ailerons work just fine with the hinges that are on them. Thinking about trying to hinges on them! Someone please respond and let me know if its even possible.. Thanks guys for any advice!!
Old Apr 09, 2009, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
I'd say it's quite possible to do that. I've had the same problem and I "worked it out", I've kept bending rudder until it was soft enough to achieve almost 90 degree angle with a gentle push. Pushrod didn't have problem controlling rudder after that. I was bending rudder like 7-10 minutes, left, right. Left, right...

I also lowered the position of clevis, IMHO it was positioned too high thus generating even more resistance to servo and pushrod. After I've bent rudder and lowered clevis, rudder was operating really OK.

Cheers!