HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:32 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby
Thanks for the video! Sweet! Please get me your order number and I will ship you a replacement servo right away. Thanks for your patience.

Pete
Pete, I sent you a PM. Justin Case I'll put it here too, my order number was:

yhst-39858413893234-35861

Thanks a lot. Cheers!
MadCroat is offline Find More Posts by MadCroat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFlight
30A ESC

But man, I flew mine for the first time today with no problems. It was super fun and worked great. I had some clicking in my servo (rudder) but that is due to the servo's location in relation to the push rod as it keeps in under tension and the servo constantly tries to correct. But I just moved it over a bit. I threw it, ROG take off, rolls, loops...etc. Has plenty of power and is my first 4ch flight. I learned on the wild hawk and spent soo much time on the flight sim that it was almost worry free.
Should be 30A ESC. 1800 mAh LiPo is 15C rated, 15x1800=27000, what equals 27A of max current that can LiPo supply... 30A sounds logical... right? Right.

Cheers!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Guys... I'd so want to install a bigger (higher C rating) battery in Wing Tiger. Unfortunately,battery compartment does not allow it, as it's 86mm long.

Most batteries are 100mm and over in length, and I've found 20C 1750 mAh batteries that are 91mm long.

Any ideas how these batteries should be installed? Not much maneuvering space considering all the free space in fuselage where batt could be placed includes moving the CG to front, and there's a landing gear slot that's blocking access to some free space that appears to be a "spare batt compartment" (assuming by the shape of the bottom foam hatch).

Only idea I have atm is expanding the existing batt compartment aft and eventually compensating CG position by adding weight to nose... What do you think guys...
Last edited by MadCroat; Feb 25, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Well, I've found that 1800 mAh stock batteries are pretty warm after 8-10 min flights. bananahobby.com says they're 15C but I doubt it.

Here's link to the battery on the Art Tech site:
http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=202

I started to make a battery compartment out of wood, that will be as long as the beginning of the spare batt compartment with the foam hatch and ends up where stock battery compartment also ends. The plan is to just screw in landing gear on the bottom of it so it does not block the space above it, to be free for the battery. That way I'll be able to use batteries with 2000+ mAh capacity. I plan to do this after 2-3 weeks, and do a flight with the new compartment. I'll let you guys know how it turned out...

http://site.bananahobby.com/retail/l...cs/1651/11.jpg

Cheers!
Old Mar 09, 2009, 05:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Eh.. too bad noone is posting their Wing Tiger experience. I must say that I'm overall pleased with this plane's performance, so I'll just continue, for now, to update this thread with my findings... like my little Wing Tiger diary.

There's one thing that I don't approve, and that's prop adapter. Motor shaft of the Wing Tiger stock brushed 550 motor has a diameter of 3.175 - 3.2mm. Usually prop adapters for that motor shaft diameter have a M5 (5mm wide) threaded part. Wing Tiger stock prop adapter has a M6 (6mm wide) threaded part. That's not a problem, but a problem is that it throws your propeller completely out of balance (at least the one I receieved). The motor shaft hole is not drilled in the center of it... not even close!

This weekend I installed a new 3.2mm/5mm prop adapter I ordered from UH and I installed APC 9x6 propeller. I'm really pleased with the performance of the plane after this "upgrade". Unfortunately I am not yet able to see some numbers on this change, AMPs, WATTs etc. I ordered EagleTree V3 logger so soon I'll know exactly what happens in the air or on the bench for that matter. In my opinion, I think the motor could handle a prop with even larger pitch, since ESC and LiPo were hardly warm after a 12 minute flight I did last weekend with the APC 9x6 prop.

I will continue to update this thread, maybe someone will find it useful... someday...

Cheers!
Old Mar 09, 2009, 09:32 AM
Cheapskate Parkflyer
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Dec 2008
107 Posts
I hollowed out my battery compartment's rear wall to allow me to slide a longer battery in. then stuck velcro in it. I did it at the field and took me 5mins. I've crashed mine and had to rebuild the nose from the front window forward. I have a lot of projects going ( 5 x foamy f-117's, TW f4u (sorry Pete thing don't fly a lick and I got to convert it to brushless, should really sell these planes nps), gws slow stick, and a deuces wild. but i swear I'll post info on here of my swap and performance. MadCroat, why the prop stepdown? for speed or to take some heat off the esc/battery?
ArmyFlight is offline Find More Posts by ArmyFlight
Old Mar 09, 2009, 03:33 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Thanks for the information MadCroat!

ArmyFlight, the stock 550 flies it really nice. It's not speed ship but it is fast enough for a high wing trainer type. Would love to see the progress to go brushless. Let me know how it goes.

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:32 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
I hollowed out my battery compartment's rear wall to allow me to slide a longer battery in. then stuck velcro in it. I did it at the field and took me 5mins. I've crashed mine and had to rebuild the nose from the front window forward. I have a lot of projects going ( 5 x foamy f-117's, TW f4u (sorry Pete thing don't fly a lick and I got to convert it to brushless, should really sell these planes nps), gws slow stick, and a deuces wild. but i swear I'll post info on here of my swap and performance. MadCroat, why the prop stepdown? for speed or to take some heat off the esc/battery?
Hey there ArmyFlight! Glad you showed up!

Prop stepdown - in your opinion is it really a step down that affects performance? Somehow I have a feeling that Wing Tiger performs better with the 9x6 APC prop. On my landing attempts it really nicely pulls the plane out of a failed landing approach. And I have a feeling that this proppy draws less AMPs. More numbers to come after I get my hands on EagleTree micrologger. Unfortunately, that's the only prop I have at the m oment other than stock, and I replaced the collet adapter because the stock collet adapter throws the propeller totally out of balance! Shaft dances tango... left-right, left-right!

ArmyFlight - I wanted to estimate specs for the stock propeller before I choose another one. All that I'm sure of is - lol, that its diameter is 10 inches. Pitch looks like 4.7-5ish to me... can you maybe confirm this or give me your prop specs estimate? Or in your opinion larger pitch (6) does not compensate for smaller diameter (9)? Thanks!

ArmyFlight! What did you have in mind for a brushless motor for our little Tiger? I was too thinking of a motor upgrade, just to give our Tiger a little more power.

Pete - once again thanks for the replacement servo. I guess it should arrive any day now. As you can see, we're coping with a variety of Wing Tiger issues here. I really like Wing Tiger as my first RC plane ever, and I like investing my time in it. And yeah, is there any chance of posting the specs of the 550 motor? What's the KV value, max AMPs, etc? I'd really appreciate that as it could simplify our brushless upgrade!

Thanks a lot guys! Cheers!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:52 AM
Cheapskate Parkflyer
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Dec 2008
107 Posts
The prop is in fact a 10x5. Seems to me that the 9x6 and 10x5 should use the same amount of watts (power) with the difference being between kv (rpms) and thrust. with the smaller prop you've managed to keep the same curve, in that a 10+5 = 9+6. sooo...the rpm's should increase, raising speed, with the trade off being thrust right? Now I cant wait for that data logger. I'm planning on using a 25 size electric equivilant...800kv or so. 40A+ esc with a 10x5 prop or a 9X6....well see
ArmyFlight is offline Find More Posts by ArmyFlight
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:15 AM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Quote:
The prop is in fact a 10x5. Seems to me that the 9x6 and 10x5 should use the same amount of watts (power) with the difference being between kv (rpms) and thrust. with the smaller prop you've managed to keep the same curve, in that a 10+5 = 9+6. sooo...the rpm's should increase, raising speed, with the trade off being thrust right? Now I cant wait for that data logger. I'm planning on using a 25 size electric equivilant...800kv or so. 40A+ esc with a 10x5 prop or a 9X6....well see
Sounds potent!

I'll be sure to post some data with stock 550 brushed motor with a variety of props. 10x5, 10x6, 10x7... 9x6, 9x7.... I'm looking forward to bench testing! I also plan to install a nylon spinner.

I've succesfully bent a 4mm wide steel rod in the shape I require for a new landing gear. I've bent it that way so it will be installed horizontally, and not vertically, so I don't block free space in my soon to be made battery compartment. I'm still in process of thinking what material should I use for that compartment.. will most probably be 3mm thick plywood. I will post some pics when I'm done with it!

Cheers!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCroat

Pete - once again thanks for the replacement servo. I guess it should arrive any day now. As you can see, we're coping with a variety of Wing Tiger issues here. I really like Wing Tiger as my first RC plane ever, and I like investing my time in it. And yeah, is there any chance of posting the specs of the 550 motor? What's the KV value, max AMPs, etc? I'd really appreciate that as it could simplify our brushless upgrade!

Thanks a lot guys! Cheers!
Anytime! Just want to see you get flying! I will see if I can get some specs for you on the 550 motor. If anyone has a Wingtiger and has any issues at all, please let me know!

Pete
Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Are you getting the Eagle Tree Data Logger?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby
Anytime! Just want to see you get flying! I will see if I can get some specs for you on the 550 motor. If anyone has a Wingtiger and has any issues at all, please let me know!

Pete
Well I finally got to fly my Wingtiger today. It flew great just got to do some more trimming out to get it to fly just right. One thing I want to know is that the engine seems to cut out every now and then when in flight, not long just a quick cut out now and then. I dont know if it was because my battery was getting low. And landing was very fast got to practice to get that right seems like it should glide in slower but this is my first time to fly an airplane and I got to practice more. Also the rudder servo is making a funny noise dont know what thats about. All in all im happy with the plane just not the service with Banana Hobby, hope you guys can get that all in order!! Also Pete the vertical stabilzer "Rudder" is not perfectly straight and I cant seem to figure out how to get it straight I got a matchstick in one side now to get it closer to vertical...lol. Hope it doesnt come out in mid flight and causes me to crash.. Maybe not!!
louisiana boy is offline Find More Posts by louisiana boy
Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Bench testing finally!

Guys, I've finally done some tests with my EagleTree V3 micrologger.

I've tested easy going from dead to full throttle, you can see how charts look like. Oh, I will do some testing with TGS Sport "E" series props, got some 10x5s and a 10x7 in stock, more results to come.

Cheers!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
434 Posts
Oh and Pete, that replacement servo still didn't arrive. Neither did the tracking number so still I can't check if that little package is stuck at my country's customs. Eh, dissapointing...