HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:04 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Here you go Ben,

http://www.euromodels.com.au/shop/in...oducts_id=1186

They are available at a few places but I thought I'd send some Bucks to this guy instead of the big guys. I guess you could just walk into modelflight and save postage...

Although its got the generic transmitter the range test was sensational. I just prefer the feel of my JR trans. Maybe you could get just the fuse,tail and wings and save some $$. If not theres always the Easyglider at $90 at H store.

I thought about the Radian, it sure seems to get rave reviews, but I kinda like having ailerons. From what I've read if you get stuck in a thermal it can be kinda hard to get out of it with a rudder/elevator deisgn. So far that hasn't been a problem for me.....

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,711 Posts
Hi All,

Back from my little trip to Sydney so did not get a fly this weekend... I hope you all got some air time.

I wake up this morning to go feed my chooks and it is dead calm and blue skies AND IT'S MONDAY!!

Makes you want to cry really.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:35 PM
Glasgow Wind Tunnel, Scotland
Joined Jul 2007
315 Posts
Hiya guys, I'm back in the Land of the almost Living!!!! Weather not too good, 65mph winds, rain, usual s!!!t Can fly when it stops, new SS to try and the 'Stanf is almost ready. And this Spectrum ZX81 keeps playing up.......
tam popo is offline Find More Posts by tam popo
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
Glasgow Wind Tunnel, Scotland
Joined Jul 2007
315 Posts
Warning!!! Doctors dialosis is....don't fly when its -11F 'cos it foobahs your kidneys up. Does Crawf know we are here???? Happy New Year again....
tam popo is offline Find More Posts by tam popo
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,711 Posts
Glad to see you are up and at em Tam.

Welcome back.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:05 PM
VH-SJT
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Haha did I miss the mac vs windows debate? That could have easily blown into 5 pages worth :P. I enjoy tinkering and playing a few games so it's windows all the way here.

Had a fly yesterday, but not the model kind. I decided I wasn't spending nearly enough money on my hobbies so thought i'd better take up flying real planes. Had my first instruction flight in a Cessna 152 Aerobat and it was sensational. The instructor showed me how to barrel roll (for a laugh) and having greatly under estimated the forces involved I was feeling pretty ordinary after the second one. What a blast though, I'm jealous of anyone that gets to do that for a living.

Hope some of you managed a fly this weekend, it's been scorching hot here and windy in the afternoon
Andrew86 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew86
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,711 Posts
ANDREW - Good on ya mate!!

I have been chewing on the idea of getting into a real cockpit for ages... but have not had the nerve yet.

Sounds like you had a great time - congrats mate.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:10 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
btw folks, after hearing about Maiden-Crash's failed camera card, I do data recovery as a business now.

Recently spent 5 days pulling life back out of my father's dying 120GB HDD (bad sectors blooming from the centre of the drive outwards). Managed to get everything important back off it in one state or another.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:08 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Clovus, siounds like your becoming a real wind junkie!!

I love the wind with the modified EZ* ... in fact id often prefer to fly with strong wind than none at all!

Ive been flying lately in conditions that no sane person would fly in. Last week it was that strong the big gum trees were swaying and you had to lean forward to walk into the wind!!

I am slowly getting the hang of flying backwards bit by bit .... byut for the most part i just sit it up there nose down and surf the wind and then harrier it back down as neat as anything!

Ill have to get some vid of it soon~

FInally finished fixing the Cessna, had a flight on my farm last night and this morning ...looking forward to flying it at home now and not travelling out to the airport .. it'll mean more stick time to try and neaten those landings up~
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:36 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,937 Posts
Thanks for all the help Paul, I really appreciate that mate.

Ive come back from flying and I think Ive just pushed myself up a level. Since my Extra;s been so difficult to 3D Ive found the GeeBee to be very forgiving. Ive now started flying really low, like really really low.
maiden-crash is online now Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:45 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Maiden,

Sorry that it turns out to be a bit of a dead situation. Maybe next time

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:49 PM
Row the sticks like a madman!
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew86
Had a fly yesterday, but not the model kind. I decided I wasn't spending nearly enough money on my hobbies so thought i'd better take up flying real planes. Had my first instruction flight in a Cessna 152 Aerobat and it was sensational. The instructor showed me how to barrel roll (for a laugh) and having greatly under estimated the forces involved I was feeling pretty ordinary after the second one. What a blast though, I'm jealous of anyone that gets to do that for a living.
Been considering this myself lately.
How much does it cost roughly Andrew?
I was told all up to get your private license it ends up around $10,000?

Going to scrape up some cash and do some lessons soon.
My uncle has access to a plane so once I have my license keeping the hours up wont be a problem.
VeeAte is offline Find More Posts by VeeAte
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:51 PM
VH-SJT
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words Mong, it was funny having an instructor that didn't look a day over 18. If anyone is looking for a career change there's apparently a massive shortage of skilled pilots world wide at the moment, you're pretty much guarenteed a job if you're willing and able to put in the hard yards.

Bud, I know what you mean about the wind. I remember having a lot of fun with my EZ* hovering infront of me in 30kt winds. Not all airframes can perform in such conditions but those that can are a blast.

Paul, is it a costly exersise getting data recovered from HDDs? I had 3 Maxtor drives fail in my last computer in a period of about 2 years (Western Digital only from now on) and upon looking into data recovery I soon decided it wasn't worth the incredibly high cost. Maybe things have changed in recent years?

Cheers
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:57 PM
VH-SJT
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeAte
Been considering this myself lately.
How much does it cost roughly Andrew?
I was told all up to get your private license it ends up around $10,000?

Going to scrape up some cash and do some lessons soon.
My uncle has access to a plane so once I have my license keeping the hours up wont be a problem.
Yeah mate you're pretty much spot on there. I signed up for a 12 lesson package that gets you to your solo in most cases. 12 lessons, 12 hours flying time as well as all documentation, theory lessons and texts cost just over $2000. Once you've done your solo there's the navigation training and supposedly another 20 hours flight time or so is what it takes to get to the PPL stage. It's something that can be done over a few months or a few years, so the financing blow can be as severe as you make it. Most places (like RACWA) offer trial flights to see if you like what you see before you sign on the dotted line, I didn't take much convincing

MY grandad owned a Cessna 172 that I flew in since I was a kid and my dad has been renting planes from Jandakot for years so it's something I know I wanted to do.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,937 Posts
Lets hope there doesn't have to be a next time ay? Yeah I've really managed to make an incredibly stupid mistake. Im just gonna let go, even my parents are telling me too and they were real upset that I lost the photos. Still never did blame me though... They're good parents... Even though its obviously my fault.
maiden-crash is online now Find More Posts by maiden-crash