HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:05 AM
Row the sticks like a madman!
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Its cool Paul.
Wasnt having a go at ya mate

Spent years as a network admin and computer tech and completely spat it with Microsoft early on so went to Linux and never looked back.

Speaking of BSD I remember reading an article about a University in the states that did an inventory of their computer hardware on campus. And they came up one machine short. The machine was still operating, but the actual box could not be located. After a week or so of searching they traced the network cable back to a hole in a wall. The BSD box was behind the wall and had been bricked in during campus upgrades 5 or so years previously!
That machine sat there that whole time doing its job and not even a hardware failure.

Unheard of with Windows.

I have never played with OS-X except a module I did back in my Tafe days. And I briefly ran a Mac virtual machine, but only for a muck around.
Been seriously considering a Mac laptop.
The Multimedia and ease of use are what draws me.
VeeAte is offline Find More Posts by VeeAte
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:20 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
come on guys get back on topic !!! BBQ's and BEER!!!!
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:31 AM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Hahaha.
No probs Steve.

Got a question for the guys who build from scratch.

Is there any way to determine the incidence of the wing compared to the horizontal stabiliser without using a proper incidence meter?

I am unable to get hold of an incidence meter for a couple of weeks as the only person I know who has one has gone away on holiday. The lucky bugger.

Guessing I have to figure out the datum line on the plane and muck around with string lines to figure it all out?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:36 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
V8,

I used a steel ruler, protractor and a pencil on the TM. Very scientific. OK so I have added some extra weight on the ASW28 to see if it will cope with the wind - 20 knots here. I have done all my jobs for the missus and am about to go out to see what happens. I'm taking CA and kicker with me ..... just in case....

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:46 AM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Thanks Clovus.
Dont spose you know of an online article or something that explains the process?

Have done some searches, but may be searching for the wrong terms.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:53 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
V8 I made a frame from EPS I sit the aircraft in it with wing attached and a small spirit level on the fuse to make sure its sitting level then just measure up from the frame to the l/edge and trailing edge of the stab zero zero would mean that the stab is the same level at the l/edge as it is from the T/edge to the frame . Its also handy for rigging aircraft with round fuses
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:59 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
79 Posts
Hi there

Does anyone have a stat sheet for the HIBMC3526-830?

I have two of them and am trying to find data on them to put into some of the calc spreadsheets

There seems to be little info on them on the net.

Cheers in advance.
JohninOz is offline Find More Posts by JohninOz
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:48 AM
Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
4 Posts
hey guys, found some time to do some more work on the mustang finally

will try to add some pics!

Just trying to work out how to attach the wing. the plans were for a petrol plane so the wing was permanently fixed!
I have put a dowell in the front of the wing so that slides into position.... but fastening the back has got me stumed because its hollow balsa wing.

Oh, and wheels as well.... i dont want to belly land balsa like i do epp!
Mezd is offline Find More Posts by Mezd
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:54 AM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Mezd:
Is the TE of the wing hollow as well?
Have never come across mention of a nitro plane with a completely attached wing. Usually a dowel in the front and two screws in the trailing edge going into blind nuts on the fuse. (Have to be able to adjust/replace servo's etc?)

If the TE of the wing is hollow and not a solid piece of balsa you might have to open up the TE of the wing and put some blocks in. If you do this on top of the wing you wont see the patch when the wing is on. Then just make some tabs inside the fuse and put some blind nuts in.

Thanks for the info Steve.
I will look into trying to rig something up tonight.
Dont think I have a table big enough to hold the plane and still get measurements off. So might have to take over the loungeroom for a couple of hours hahaha.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:59 AM
Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
4 Posts
the TE has about a 10mm strip of solid balsa from memory. trying to think of a reasonably quick way to release the wing so swapping batteries is easy.
Mezd is offline Find More Posts by Mezd
Old Jan 10, 2009, 03:03 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Heya Lads,

I took the ASW28 out this arvo. According to the 'net, wind was 20-22knots from the SSE at the Southport Seaway. I figured it was around 15 - 18 where I was. Had three throws and all in all it did pretty good. A little bit of throttle and off it went, climbed quite easily, but the wings were bending all over the shop in the gusts.

When I turned with the wind it just accelerated like crazy, man I got it moving alright! Did some really large circuits, landing was a non event, I just let it glide in and the wind slowed it down enough so it drifted in nice and gently.

I never thought I could fly in this much wind - without going to a big gas b*gger. It was really fun, I'm just so stoked.

Clovus
Old Jan 10, 2009, 03:07 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Please don't kick me out, but I have one more off-topic post. Somehow, I managed to delete all the photos from Hamilton Island. I've spent hours trying to restore them, with all sorts off downloads, I tried getting into the hard drive of the old computer, running system restore, scanning the SD card for deleted content... Can't find a thing

On an R/C related note, my props have arrived in Melbourne, with the addition of a prop saver, Im not going to worry about breaking props anymore. Finally, no holding back!
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:29 PM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Every second bloke down at the field this morning had a Parkzone Radian, and for good reason - They fly really well with amazing glide, 2meter wingspan and will pull vert with the stock brushless. Just over $200 - bloody bargain if you ask me. Might be in the market around birthday time hopefully.

Flew the Super Duper Cub this morning. One of my aileron servos must have stripped in its big crash, or so I found out at the field this morning. Taped up the ailerons and flew it on rudder only. Also had to sub my regular 10 x 7 prop for a 10 x 4.7 Gotta say it's such a better plane flying on Rudder, and the smaller prop made it fly better too. Flew for over 15mins on a tired 1300Mah batt, and when it came down the batt was only warm as opposed to it's usual HOT.

Gee. Maybe some of these planes are better to fly as they were designed rather than hotting them right up
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:37 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy

Gee. Maybe some of these planes are better to fly as they were designed rather than hotting them right up
Funny that!

I'm having a ball with the ASW28. Now if I want to fly and there's a bit of breeze - no worries at all! I reckon everyone should get a e glider. Teaches you to be gentle on the sticks too. Now if I can crack the art of thermalling and wean me off the motor.... I'm loving the challenge

Clovus
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:37 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Is there a link to the one you've got Clovus? I think I might be getting into the market for a powered glider pretty soon. Actually someone is talking about buying my easy star, sheesh, haven't even got it built yet, but v. tempted now I've seen the radian.

I've been waiting for a shipment of Gorilla Glue which finally arrived today so I did a bit more on my XL Nasty. Got the wing all done except for the ailerons. coming aliong nicely.

Must order some servos in the next few days...
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy