SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2009, 06:16 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
ha ha,

Dave you taking the Twister out this weekend with the new batteries? That thin is going to haul some serious butt. Any chance of some more video?

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2009, 06:27 AM
Joined Dec 2006
162 Posts
nup cant fly thiss weekend going down to our caravan theres not even enough rom for the yak .
dave
dabvid is offline Find More Posts by dabvid
Old Jan 09, 2009, 09:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
I just checked mine )yep, still got one in the shed - a bit dusty. Mine is unused, Speedie, elevator and rudder.

Clovus
Thanks for checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUd~FokkerU2
6 Minute , that www.electrafun.com site is mine and yeah it is really just a link bank (and all links still work) until I have some more time to make it a decent site, your comments have inspired me to include some more info and pics on there soon.
No offense meant there Bud. When I said the site was dead, what I should have said was the electrafun scene seems to have dropped off. So don't go doing any work on my account. It was your link bank that got me this far, and I appreciate it being there. And of course being the dope I am, I didn't realize until today that you have to register in order to view the forum at electrafun.co.uk.

Thanks again guys. Cheers!
6minuteabs is offline Find More Posts by 6minuteabs
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:05 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Well, I've got an iMac to edit it with David so when your ready.... This Mac must be the best thing I've ever gotten, the media features are just unreal.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:14 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
MC,

My brother in law is a computer whiz (and Mac Freak). He says "once you go mac, you can't go back".

Forecast here is 20 -25 knots. I am really keen to do some flying and am contemplating tossing up the ST ASW28. I figure I have spares of everything so if the crashes are really bad and destroy electronics I can replace them. It is EPO so at least the repairs to the fuse will be fast.

Clovus
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:15 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
MC,

My brother in law is a computer whiz (and Mac Freak). He says "once you go mac, you can't go back".

Clovus
Once you go Mac, you never WANT to go back!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:30 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
I have no intentions of going back! Coming from my computer, the Mac just blows me away. I can go on for hours about what I love about it. I can't understand those people that warned me against it saying its a pain to operate etc. I've taken note that those people don't have Macs, and that I find it easier to operate than my old PC. Man, the video editing functions... and now I don't have to destroy the resolution of my vid's. No conversion required, and since our digital camera produces quite clear videos, its a big plus.
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:35 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
For media work, there's no denying that the Mac + OS X make a fine combination, vastly better for such things than any PC ever has been or perhaps will be.

Mac OS X servers also make for nice machines for hosting.

Personally, i'm still staying with UNIX type systems purely because it works nicely for the stuff I do (just sad that the processor options for UNIX systems are dwindling, x68, SPARC, Power... ). That said, there's an exciting world on the bottom end of the scale where ARM and similar architectures are giving some fantastic options.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:53 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Yep I agree with you both. Those that bag Macs have never had one. I swapped over about 2 years ago with a MacBook Pro that I specced to the hilt - it just runs like a dream and never skips a beat.

No Blue Screens, No Viruses, No Pain, No Problem!!

PAUL - Not everyone realises that OS-X is a unix based platform - and some don't even believe you when you tell them.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2009, 07:08 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
What exactly is OS-X? I know my iMac has something to do with it, its on the box and on the setup, but Im not sure what exactly it is. john, or those with Macs, is it possible to run sims on it? I know you can buy a program that splits the comp to Mac and Microsoft, so there is options, but what about without it? I need to change my mouse too, it won't right click.
Old Jan 09, 2009, 07:19 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
TheMongrel,

Yes, OS X is an interesting one. Certainly goes to dispel the myth that UNIX isn't good for anything, amusingly OS X has/is certified as UNIX, unlike Linux

Paul.
Old Jan 09, 2009, 08:35 PM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
I switched to Macs at home about two and a half years ago. VERY happy I did. Now I work for a company that runs the entire business on Macs. Loving it!
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Jan 09, 2009, 08:39 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Hey guys,

Notice there has been 7 consecutive posts about computers with narry a word from a Mod?

Clovus
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:09 AM
Row the sticks like a madman!
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Linux is open source. Its based on the Unix platform, but was originally created to be an option for students etc so they didnt have to pay huge license fees to install and run an operating system.

Certified by Unix? I dont get that statement :P
Its open source. If it was certified by Unix then it would cost you money to own and operate.

I have been running Linux based systems for close to 9 years now.
Linux has come a long way since the early days. No longer is it a pain to setup and run. Not as user friendly as Windbloze or OS-X, but its not far behind anymore.

OS-X is great at media work as thats what it was designed for. Anyone who tells you that Mac's are hard to operate doesnt know what they are talking about. Thats the whole ethos behind the OS. Ease of operation and media tasks.

If you have to resize and lose quality on your vids in Windows your using the wrong application to alter your media. Just cause one application does that doesnt mean they all do.

Only reason I dont run Mac's is because of the proprietry hardware in them (until recently). Now they switched to the X86 platform that is no longer an issue.

I am just too much of a tight a*se to pay for an operating system. So I run Linux. I do have a Windows machine, but only to keep the folks happy when they want to use the computer. Came with a machine I bought a couple of years ago.
Also Linux is solid as a rock. My second machine has an uptime of 945 days and no sign of it slowing down or having issues. Best I have had out of a Windows machine is 145 days and that thing ended up a total slug in the end.

Only reason I can see why people would want to run Windows is gaming.
Neither Unix, OS-X or Linux excel in gaming like Windows does. However the gap is closing....

Well no flying today. Too windy.
Found out why the Super Chipmunk is a pig to fly too.
Wing incidence. The LE of the wing has to be dropped around 15mm to get it to about 1.5 degrees.
Hence all the down elevator needed to fly it.

Sorry for the rambling about computers. Will keep it on subject from now on.
VeeAte is offline Find More Posts by VeeAte
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:15 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
V8,

I think I might have forgotten to express my tongue-in-cheek comment correctly.

I for one run Linux everywhere in the house, my parents, my wife, my inlaws, we all run it

For servers that I don't want to see again, I use FreeBSD usually, though Linux I do also frequently use.

Paul.