HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:10 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Just back from a fly with teh GeeBee. I tend to enjoy maneuvering through tree's as it adds another level of excitement, so I found an area with 10-12 meter tall gum trees. I launched and realised my ailerons were reversed, thats a first for me. I circled her back to me without any drama and once I landed I reversed the ailerons. Launched agin, did the usual and was having a whole heap of fun, and I guess my distance perception isn't as good as I thought cos I hit smack bang centre of a tree, and broke the prop. that was fantastic, I flew for 2 miuntes and that was teh end of it. After trying to fix the prop, failing, and yet again walking back home, I just decided to put teh 12x6 on it and hover around in the street. That was good fun, it torque rolled liek a top and the power was pretty ballistic. An allrite day in the end. It was great to have this plane flying again.

I got super glue in my eye too. Thats no good. its been bugging me for the past hour.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:15 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
Steve, It all looks very interesting, are going to talk us through it in a bit more detail? I take it you are making a female mould out of plaster and creating a fibreglass wing.

Why did you do it that way instead of just shaping a foam blank and 'glassing it?

Reuben,

I got to the field and thought it's a bit blowy but b*gger it, I'll give it a go. Anyways on preflight I found both aileron servo's moving the same way. I changed the programming to flaperons but didn't help. Guess I got one servo around backwards. Didn't have a screwdriver so no flight.

Lucky I took the 3DHS Extra SR so got something up and a perfect 3 point landing on the grass! Probably my best ever. I came in a bit hot so it just rolled for a few feet before settling. I ended up stoked on the landing so it kinda took the frustration away from the DR 1.

Clovus

That was lucky
My flying buddy told me a story today of how He changed servo's and when He next flew it He realised after take off that the ailerions were reversed it didn't end nicely
I'm flying everyday now while on holiday but I still do a quick precheck... better safe than sorry.
Also if you want to see what surf we have available here check out http://www.isolated.co.nz/

Yes I'm a booger
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:22 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
What do you mean by the wrong side of the hill?

Clovus
This thread may help
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967490
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jan 05, 2009, 04:10 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Hmnn,interesting there Steve...I have started my sloping career the other day...found a hill next to the Swan river about 2mins from my place and have been chucking up my Aeliron modded Easystar when the freo doctor comes in...certainly has a narrow band of lift but I have been staying up for 40 mins at a time so far from 2 days effort with a 25 knot seabreeze.
Soon as I get my broadband back I will explain more,but I am enjoying it so far, but need a better ship I think...
Bleary
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:04 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden-crash
An allrite day in the end. It was great to have this plane flying again.

I got super glue in my eye too. Thats no good. its been bugging me for the past hour.

Glad you got some airtime mate.

Sorry to hear about the eye. The fumes of Super Glue irritates my eyes... so I can't imagine it getting in my eye. No good dude.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:05 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Had another quick fly on the street and my dad got it on camera. i'll upload it tomorrow, don't know if you'll find it boring or not.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:06 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinck
Hi all, also flying a Mini Titan Heli, custom modified Multiplex Fox, and one of these days maidening a PA addiction and if i really have to a Boomerang 40 ...

Tom
Mate I'd love to see some pics of your fox - is it a slope soarer or have you put a motor in it?
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:20 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Yep. More 3D vids please MC!

Thanks for all your input on my Easy Star guys. Am putting a Hobby City order in tomorrow or so, so will pick up some servos for it from there.

Bleary - do you recommend the aileron mod for the easy star? I certainly had planned on doing it, but might see what she flys like on rudder first. Also, what methods do people use for wing stiffening? I'm going to need something the way I'll be flying it...

Got the Nasty up again tonight and have made a bit more progress. Not sure I like the characteristics of the flat plate wing though - it's taking a bit of getting used to. I think I need to round off all my leading edges to help smooth it out a bit. Pumped about getting the XL Nasty going - Should have it all finished bar having the servos installed by the weekend.

Mashed the Superduper Cub in HARD tonight. was flying inverted pretty high up and pulled out with an inside loop and then went inverted again this time closer to the ground and tried to pull out in the same 'downward' direction again and BOOM! in she went at good speed nose first. Major re-build there. Might get a new fuse and re-do the Bless conversion - will be much easier than trying to fix the mess that is the under what's left of the cowel.

The eagle hasn't landed here yet Mong - has it left the roost yet?
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Jan 05, 2009, 06:21 AM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,482 Posts
after carbon sock anybody know were to get it in oz?'
Desert flier is online now Find More Posts by Desert flier
Old Jan 05, 2009, 06:33 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,744 Posts
Hey Boys,

I had an impulse buy tonight and bought one of these babies!!

Its called a Mythos and can be found here...

http://www.techonehobby.com/default.aspx

Can't find a review on RCG, so just might have to start a build thread!

Came complete with Brushless motor!

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2009, 07:34 AM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
Guys - it takes 5 seconds to check that your control surfaces deflect correctly. I do it before every single flight and I would suggest that everyone should.
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:46 AM
Row the sticks like a madman!
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
I do the control surface check on all surfaces before every flight.
Everyone at the club is encouraged to do it too.

Still seen some very experienced pilots get it backwards tho for some reason.

Or take off on the wrong model setting with older radio's.

I think everyone has "brain farts" sometimes. Luckily I havent with ailerons yet.
Also if you run two aileron servo's it pays to put tape around one of the leads on both sides of the connector. Can't bugger it up then

Been considering slope soaring myself.
Live in one of the windiest cities in the southern hemisphere. Surprised no-one else does it here.

Will do some research. Going around in circles trying to beat speed records doesnt interest me. Not for the entire flight anyway
VeeAte is offline Find More Posts by VeeAte
Old Jan 05, 2009, 12:24 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeAte

Been considering slope soaring myself.
Live in one of the windiest cities in the southern hemisphere. Surprised no-one else does it here.

Will do some research. Going around in circles trying to beat speed records doesnt interest me. Not for the entire flight anyway

arr yes going round in cirlces funny thing is once you have gone to the darkside anything else seems tame especially once your over the 100MPH mark and 12 inches of the deck its very addictive but now guys are stating to fly DS combat and DS aerobatics which makes it even more exciting .
SteveW never under estimate the power of the darkside
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jan 05, 2009, 01:25 PM
Tom the Tinkerer
Australia, travelling between Geelong & PP
Joined Mar 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy
Mate I'd love to see some pics of your fox - is it a slope soarer or have you put a motor in it?

Fox pics are in link below,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=409

and according to Ron (local expert in flying machines) should be able to glide around quite nicely, its still a bit zippy for me to fly comfortably, but getting there

Tom
Twinck is offline Find More Posts by Twinck
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:29 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Ben,

I haven't done the aileron mod,but wonder how efficient it would be given the amount of dihedral in the wings of the EZ*. A must do is to increase the surface area of the rudder. You can use almost anything stiff, a bit of a ice cream container, old random playing card, balsa etc. It doesn't have to be a massive increase in area - mine just protrudes maybe a cm past the trailing edge. Helps immensely with directional control.

Cheers for the DS link Steve.

Bleary, my e-glider has arrived at the Post Office, the only problem it's registered mail and they are only open during work times so I have to wait until the weekend, unless I sneak out of work early.

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62