HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:05 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,071 Posts
new wings coming out of the mould now

Ive been consentrating on getting some more Fast glass together to go chase some high speeds in the Dynamic soaring arena .
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Jan 04, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:52 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy

I was wondering what size Batts you guys use in your brushless EZstars? I need to do a battery buy up soon, and want to standardise batt sizes over as many planes as possible. I've bought a bless inrunner from Mong and will be putting that together in the next few weeks.
Ben,

I use the following servo in my EZ
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6317

Also... I use a 2200mah battery, mainly because you need the weight up front. The longest stint I have had her up was about 45 minutes, and I brought her down because my neck was sore!!

Don't go overboard with your servos - you don't need to.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Don't you hate it when you get up for work after a decent break and the wind has decided to vanish! NOT FAIR I TELL YOU!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:28 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,934 Posts
Don't you hate it when your Carbon Tube for your Extra has been at Davids for the past few days, and still will be, and you won't get it back unless he finds it, and the last few days have been windless, and so will the next few, and you have nothing else to fly atm?
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden-crash
Don't you hate it when your Carbon Tube for your Extra has been at Davids for the past few days, and still will be, and you won't get it back unless he finds it, and the last few days have been windless, and so will the next few, and you have nothing else to fly atm?
Ahh... Yep! Something like that!

Don't you hate it when you are trying to save you $$ for something specific and there is a plane in the LHS that has been there for donks, and they make you an offer to take it that is very hard to refuse!!!

-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:42 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Tom , ive never heard of such a big 2s battery!! Sounds like a different way of doing things ...so you using the original motor?

Ben i use the HXT900 (9g) and HXT500 servos for everything... been really good so far.
I did burn out the motor in the elevator servo the other week (about 4 months old).
It only burnt out because i was doing the dolphin .... (wobbling the big throw elevator up and down like a dolphin through water)
Looks kinda cool but a little hard on servos!

A mate got the EZ* and is about to put a brushless in it .... anyone seen stocks of the himark 2815-4 inrunners?
It may end up with the same powerplant as mine..the HET 3W Typhoon but the little 4.5x4.5 prop dont give it enough thrust for my liking .... but great speed once its moving.
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:45 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
Ive been consentrating on getting some more Fast glass together to go chase some high speeds in the Dynamic soaring arena .
SteveW

Dude im not sure what your really doing here ... but you have me intrigued!!

Id really like to know more about mould making and foam mixing/making!
I would like to be about to make a fibreglass cowl from the thin plastic one i have.

Ever tried that builders foam gap sealer stuff? I thought about using it to fill a cowl and then fibreglassing over it .
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Jan 04, 2009, 06:21 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
855 Posts
Hey,
Good luck with your maiden Clovus it looks like a tricky beast

Machete, The plane rack worked out well, I made the frame/dowels quite far apart as its free standing, I didn't want to attatch it to the wall.

I've just had another two flights this morning with my pylon racer, I've started using high rates on the ailerions now.... it rolls great
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:33 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,786 Posts
Steve, that molded plank looks fantastic - It'll absolutely scream on the dark side. When are you going into production? - count me in when you do!

Kahn
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Jan 05, 2009, 12:09 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,934 Posts
Its not too bad anymore John. I got my GeeBee fixed, got the parts I needed for it and its now RTF. Might get a video of it to start filling my youtube account up again. I just recently uploaded a remixed and better version of my Extra video.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Jan 05, 2009, 12:56 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUd~FokkerU2
Dude im not sure what your really doing here ... but you have me intrigued!!

Id really like to know more about mould making and foam mixing/making!
I would like to be about to make a fibreglass cowl from the thin plastic one i have.

Ever tried that builders foam gap sealer stuff? I thought about using it to fill a cowl and then fibreglassing over it .
Nope have not tried it however your Plug needs to be something solid otherwise the end result will be very disappointing ,Khan there will be a few available once Ive got the final moulds done these are out of the roughing mould one will be used as a new plug to get that mirror finish so the final production moulds have all the mods included
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jan 05, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 01:50 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Steve, It all looks very interesting, are going to talk us through it in a bit more detail? I take it you are making a female mould out of plaster and creating a fibreglass wing.

Why did you do it that way instead of just shaping a foam blank and 'glassing it?

Reuben,

I got to the field and thought it's a bit blowy but b*gger it, I'll give it a go. Anyways on preflight I found both aileron servo's moving the same way. I changed the programming to flaperons but didn't help. Guess I got one servo around backwards. Didn't have a screwdriver so no flight.

Lucky I took the 3DHS Extra SR so got something up and a perfect 3 point landing on the grass! Probably my best ever. I came in a bit hot so it just rolled for a few feet before settling. I ended up stoked on the landing so it kinda took the frustration away from the DR 1.

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:13 AM
Tom the Tinkerer
Australia, travelling between Geelong & PP
Joined Mar 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUd~FokkerU2
Tom , ive never heard of such a big 2s battery!! Sounds like a different way of doing things ...so you using the original motor?

nope definitely not the same motor.. using an ultrafly A/30/29 i pulled out of a heli.. spins a cut down bluebird 6.5X5 (down to 5.5X5) but have to set the throttle endpoints down a bit as th motor is only rated at 15A..

the battery is really a 2s2p in a hard plastic case.. apparently made for car racing, was the only decent sized 2s i could find shopping one day

Hi all, also flying a Mini Titan Heli, custom modified Multiplex Fox, and one of these days maidening a PA addiction and if i really have to a Boomerang 40 ...

flying field of choice is the park near my house.. followed by the Geelong club field and hopefully heading off to PP this weekend

Tom
Twinck is offline Find More Posts by Twinck
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:30 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,071 Posts
[QUOTE=evo62]Steve, It all looks very interesting, are going to talk us through it in a bit more detail? I take it you are making a female mould out of plaster and creating a fibreglass wing.

Why did you do it that way instead of just shaping a foam blank and 'glassing it?

Reuben,
Hi Ruben ,
I created a solid plug and a glass mould, Plaster is only good for 1 maybe 2 layups before they fail a proper mould will be in use for years ,the glass wing is only a test most of them will be full carbon and kevlar,although a few guys have expressed an interest in one already . This aircraft is designed for Dynamic Soaring something that a number of us are are really into ,and flying the wrong side of the hill at 100mph and over can get rather costly buying fully moulded aircraft and as I have the ability and the equipment its easier for me to produce fast glass myself than import it from o/seas .
SteveW
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:08 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
What do you mean by the wrong side of the hill?

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62