HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:36 AM
Row the sticks like a madman!
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Hahaha.
YES!

Blowing its guts out here in Gero.

Was so bored this afternoon I made a windmill out of a couple of wooden props I am not going to use.
Glued an 11x8 to the face of a 12x6 so they look like a 4 bladed prop.
Put a wooden dowel through them and a couple of bearings on the dowel behind the props. Glued bits of balsa around the bearings to hold them in place. And jammed it into a palm tree we have out the back.

Has been spinning flat out all day and night so far. haha.

Took me an hour or so to put this thing together.

Had all sorts of ideas like putting a hal effect sensor on the base and setting up some way of reading wind speed.

Too much work at the moment. hehehe
VeeAte is offline Find More Posts by VeeAte
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:38 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Put a really big brushless motor with a kV 50 ~100 on it and generate power to charge your batteries

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:06 AM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Hahaha. Good idea! Would a brushed motor work? Got a couple of 500 size motors here out of 1/10 cars.

I was thinking of setting something like that up.
Guy at our club has the fan of a car engine hooked up to an alternator or a washing machine motor or something and he charges 12v Lead Acid batteries with it. (Car batteries etc).

Got a new plane coming soon tho. So dont want to start any projects I may not finish before that gets here.

Changed the .70 4 stroke to a .46 2 stroke in the Miss America Reno Racer.
Cant recall how that would translate in the electric world.
4 stroke has less revs but will swing a bigger prop. Torque
2 Stroke way more revs and swings a smaller prop. Speed

Looking for speed out of it at the moment. Got sick of doing scale aerobatics.

And boy did it get speed.
This thing is insanely fast now. Very light plane to begin with. Removing the 4 stroke took weight off the nose (4 strokes are heavier than 2 strokes) and I removed a heap of weight off the tail to balance it. True Reno Racer now.

Going flat out if you bank and yank hard into a turn you can hear the wind coming off the wings and tail. Must be getting close to doing a high speed stall at times. Awesome fun
Last edited by VeeAte; Jan 03, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 04:22 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
OK, I'll bite, what's the new plane V8?

Clovus

Windy here again, the only flying I've done is on the sailboard. Never would've thought Melbourne would have better weather then the Gold Coast .... Bluddy Climate change!
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:16 PM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Haha.

I did mention it on a previous post, but most likely got buried. hehehe

I ordered an Edge 540 off ebay. 40 size.

Will run the OS .70 Surpass 4 stroke in it. Can't wait.

Went for a fly this morning with the Mustang.
Was beautiful weather when I got to the club at 6:30am.

By about 9ish everyone had rocked up and it had turned to sh*te!

Gusty as.
Watched 4 planes do some nasty break landing gear type landings. Decided to pack up and come home.
I had a good few sessions first thing tho.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 01:59 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
(Sorry for the bit-of-everything post - haven't posted for a while so though I'd throw it all in together...)

Hey guys.

Whether has been great this weekend, and I've managed to fly six battery over the last two days which is more than the rest of my Chrissy break put together. Funny how carp the weather has been here the last two weeks - will probably be great now I'm heading to work.

Had to effect a tree rescue today - the mini super cub ended up treed after the ACT kicked in mid way through a loop. Took about 45 mins of throwing fishing line over branches and shaking the bejesus out of the tree but I finally got it down. Have got the cowel off at the moment and am thinking about putting one of my spare blue wonder b-less motors in there. I think It'd make a great little bipe too - though the drag with two UC wings would be pretty serious - might grab an extra wing and do the mod when model fright gets spares.

I'm totally digging the PA planes at the moment - especially the Ultimate AMR. I know a few of you blokes have mentioned it and for good reason... what a beautiful plane. I'd love to get a Katana MD, but I know those of you that have had an Addiction would recommend it over the Kat. Thought I'd post a like to my fav PA video, but it's not quite that simple - hit this link: http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=53# , and have a look at the 'weekend fun' video - fantastic. Love the bit where you see the guys flight box with 10 identical lipos all lined up ready to go.

Waiting for some better servos before I fly my Nasty again - the little 800gm holding power servos are just not upto holding the control surfaces steady at any more than walking pace. (I know someone on the thread mentioned that they wouldn't, but they are all I had on hand.)

Do any of you have any old or new servos your not going to use that you'd like to clear out? I'm looking for anything reasonably small with enough holding power for my nasty and anything not too heavy for my Easy Star. Can PPal or direct transfer funds if there is anything anyone would like to sell.

XL Nasty is progressing nicely - wing is all cut and taped, CF and Balsa spar glued in place top panels all ready to fold over and glue down as soon as my latest shipment of Gorilla glue arrives.

I was wondering what size Batts you guys use in your brushless EZstars? I need to do a battery buy up soon, and want to standardise batt sizes over as many planes as possible. I've bought a bless inrunner from Mong and will be putting that together in the next few weeks.

Super Duper cub is going great guns at the moment though my poor lipos are getting rung out to within an inch of their lives as most flights are WOT about 50% of the time - I just can't help it. Might tame it down with something smaller than the park 480 and keep it as a slow flyer once I get my Ezy star up and running - I think that'll be my new speed machine.

Anyone building any interesting foamies at the moment?
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Last edited by blxpy; Jan 04, 2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:38 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Hey guys what do you think about the weight of these for my easy star: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._bearing_servo

39gm ea too heavy?
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:51 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,934 Posts
Hows this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=15
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:51 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Ben,

I'm using a 3S 2100 mAh in my EZ*. I( think anything from a 1800 upwards to 2100 works well.

Clovus
Old Jan 04, 2009, 02:53 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
848 Posts
Hey guys,
I managed to get two flights in this morning, and then built a storage rack for my planes as they were taking over my spare room
Clovus have you maidened the DVI? I'm finishing off another pylon build then I'll start on my DVII, I had ran out of storage space now I have the room to start it.

-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Jan 04, 2009, 03:12 AM
Tom the Tinkerer
Australia, travelling between Geelong & PP
Joined Mar 2008
349 Posts
I use 2 X HS55's in my EZ, and fly on a 2s 5000MaH batt.. can fly for 15-20 mins on 15% of charge.. so with some nice gliding around... flight time of around 1.5-2 hours.. Tx batt may die first

Tom
Twinck is offline Find More Posts by Twinck
Old Jan 04, 2009, 06:13 AM
Joined Dec 2006
163 Posts
nice mc I like the disclosure at the end. It ok but not fast enough should be betta when I pick up my 4s from the post office.
dave
dabvid is offline Find More Posts by dabvid
Old Jan 04, 2009, 03:27 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Reuben,

I'm hoping for this morning. It's been really windy all weekend and now it's raining on and off. If there's a brief lull on my way to work it'll go up.....

Hiya Tom,

Welcome to the BBQ, what else ya flying?

Clovus
Old Jan 04, 2009, 03:52 PM
Aus
Joined Aug 2008
85 Posts
And I thought our PO was kewl having milk and bread as well as hareware .......but Daves PO takes the cake selling LiPos

4S for the Nessie Killer I take it Dave .....best you video that flight ....and make sure you have the editing rights this time.

Haven't flown a thing and haven't even seen any of the family since boxing day I've been so busy. Not a free day 'til after the 15 jan.
I had far more time to myself before I retired .....soon maybe!

I like the wall frame Ben I've seen a couple posted lately but everyone seems to have made them quite wide .....my arms/pins are only 250mm apart. The MUSs sit on their aileron servos and not on the wing itself.
I think Bleary posted a pic of his just recently and it appeared quite wide as well. (with the size of his stuff he probably used the whole broom handle)
machete is offline Find More Posts by machete
Old Jan 04, 2009, 03:57 PM
Aus
Joined Aug 2008
85 Posts
No he didn't! ....I just looked......he used his kite sticks the tight arse

'morning Clovus ......typically perfect morning here for flying .....hope you are having the same for a change.
machete is offline Find More Posts by machete
Last edited by machete; Jan 04, 2009 at 04:04 PM.