HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:01 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
V8,
I know the feeling my SE5A slow flyer was the same.... I had to fly it on 1/4 throttle to get it to fly at all.... very relaxing for the first couple of times but after that everytime I flew it I got bored so I would try things it wasn't designed to do and end up braking something.... Thats why it now hangs from my workshop looking good
The gear was put to better use in my pylon racer, I've just had another 2 flights on it and I'm impressed its so much more fun to fly.
The litho plate sounds a lot stronger than the tape that I have.
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:58 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Can you grab a picture of the litho plate V8? Is it flexible - will it go around corners? Sounds interesting...... (brain cogs turning)

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:34 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blxpy
Hey Mong - If you've got no use for it, can I buy the 1100kva one off you?

It's exactly the motor I'm after!
Ok Mate,

PM me and we will take it off line.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:11 AM
Row the sticks like a madman!
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
I will see if I can get the camera sorted Clovus. Been having issues with it.

If you can imagine cutting the top and bottom off a coke can and throwing those bits away. Then cutting whats left up the middle and flattening it into a sheet.
Its almost identical to that. Little bit thicker the plate I have, but still very flexible.

Compound curves you would need to anneal (apply heat to) the plate so it doesnt crease when you bend into shape. But it would wrap around the leading edge of a wing for instance very easily.

If you have a newspaper or old school printing place nearby you can most likely score some for free. Its only used once for lithograph printing multiple copies of one document.

The stuff I have I wouldnt sheet a whole plane with it. It would end up too heavy. But its great for repairs. Or if you wanted to strengthen a surface mounted servo you could just cut a plate to go under the servo mounts.

Rough it up with a bit of 80 grit paper or even a green scouring pad I am told will work too and it will stick to anything.
VeeAte is offline Find More Posts by VeeAte
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:18 AM
Row the sticks like a madman!
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben199
V8,
I know the feeling my SE5A slow flyer was the same.... I had to fly it on 1/4 throttle to get it to fly at all.... very relaxing for the first couple of times but after that everytime I flew it I got bored so I would try things it wasn't designed to do and end up braking something.... Thats why it now hangs from my workshop looking good
The gear was put to better use in my pylon racer, I've just had another 2 flights on it and I'm impressed its so much more fun to fly.
The litho plate sounds a lot stronger than the tape that I have.
-Reuben

Yeh its a shame that the nicest looking ones seem to fly like sh*t!
Well in my experience.
I have a Miss America P51 Reno Racer which is a .40 size. The covering is crap and its not the prettiest thing to look at by a long shot. But it flies absolutely perfectly. Stalling it is a non event. It just mushes forward. It handles the wind perfectly which is necessary here in Geraldton as we have more windy days than calm.
The only thing I didnt like about it is it will roll out of loops if you use too much elevator. But being a warbird I am told this is fairly normal. But I think it may need balancing laterally too which I never did when I assembled it.
And it will do the most massive perfect loops anyway I dont know if I will bother messing with it. Warbirds arent meant to do super tight loops anyway. Not very scale like flying hehe.

Other than that its a dream to fly. No-one took much notice of it on the bench at the club. But everyone comments on how well it flies.

Glad to hear the pylon racer went well. You hand launching it ?

Edit: Clovus:
There are some pics of what people have done with litho plate here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post11211491

But dont think there are any pics of the actual plate.

Comes in various thicknesses.

This is cool:
VeeAte is offline Find More Posts by VeeAte
Last edited by VeeAte; Dec 29, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Wow,

Building a bipe is bad enough, Pat must've had a template to get the wings aligned correctly.

V8,

How good are those boats!! I was thinking cowls, motor mounts laminated to balsa/ply and high stress areas like wing attachments. I might have to go looking.

Clovus
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:09 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Hey V8,
I'm hand launching the pylon racer, half throttle and it's off. I'm contemplating building another one and changing it to look more like a GWS pico stik -F (the full fuse version) as I had one and it was the plane that sealed the deal for me..... lots of fun, it will have landing gear, there is definitly enough power to ROG on grass.
I've just been through another 2 batteries this morning so thats 6 flights on it so far.
You should have a go at re-covering you miss america at some stage, if it flys nice and you like it, after my first covering job I think anythings possible.
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:40 PM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
Hey All.

Finally got to maiden my Nasty last night.

Only had it up for a few minutes as the wings were flapping around like crazy and the COG was a little too far aft causing the tail to drag it down a bit. Apart from that it flew really well, and I had no problems getting it up, around a few times and down again. Really slowed it down at one point and wafted it around to the oooh ahhh of the two person crowd. Got the wing re-braced with another 3mm CF rod, and it's all ready for another flight.

Managed to score a Blade Micro CX from my dad for Christmas. It's a great little helecopter, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting something small they can fly down up and down the hallway or in the living room.

My wife gave me a HZ mini supercub which I'm keen to get down to the local playground. I saw one flying at the park last night and they look oh so cute. I'm just considering whether to do the full brushless/spektrum swap out on it. If I do (which I'm sure I will eventually) I'll use all the electrics to build a little propeller driven swap boat car thingy for some worm burning down at the oval.
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:09 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
They are pretty cool those tiny choppers eh?
How about this FPV EZ* setup? this guy has got it sorted out.This looks like something you would like Mong!
Busy moving house at the moment... will post a photo later of my new workshop it took me three trips with the ute full of planes and gear and I still have more planes to move....clearance sale will be coming soon I think.am in the process of building a new plane rack as I have found that is the best way to store lots of planes
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
BLEARY - WHAT A SETUP!!!

I should have purchased when I had the chance when the dollar was 0.98c to the USD. Oh well!! I can wait!

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
Nice setup - not so sure about the choice of music...
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
Our main weapon is surprise...
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
2,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrcboy
Nice setup - not so sure about the choice of music...
We have 3 guys flying FPV down here at PP now!
Pretty soon I'll be the odd one out ACTUALLY WATCHING MY PLANE!!!
Rowdy_b64 is online now Find More Posts by Rowdy_b64
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:55 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Ben,

Was that the XL nasty? Even the STD size has a bit of flex.

clovus
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:42 AM
Glue-it-again-Ben!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
813 Posts
No mate - just the std one.

It was really flapping hard... the second CF rod I've added is taped to the top surface of the wing rather than sunken into the middle like the original one. It's holding nice and rigid now.

It has got me really fired up to get the XL one done though... Am organising electronics as we speak, and have got my wing / X fuse re-design all done. Going for 1 layer of 5mm Cellfoam as a 'base' to the wing, CF tube @ the leading edge, Balsa spar through the center and a 5mm or 3mm second layer of Cellfoam to half the root that will give a 20mm KF 'step' on the top surface of the wing.

Boy just spilt water on the keyboard - will finish post later!
blxpy is offline Find More Posts by blxpy
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:43 AM
Our main weapon is surprise...
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
2,931 Posts
Hey Guys,
Not sure if I actually posted this link last week or not .. It's a vid I took over PP with the new FCO2 Mong sent me.

This one is working really well ..
FlycamOne2 over Police Paddocks on Funjet (3 min 18 sec)

Cheers
Rowdy
Rowdy_b64 is online now Find More Posts by Rowdy_b64