HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2009, 06:12 PM
Friday I'm in Love
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
469 Posts
OK guys my birthday is coming up soon, and the Mrs has agreed to let me get a new plane (YEAH!); so I'm looking for a suitable 4 Ch electric RTF. We've previously mentioned the ST model brushless Cessna (+ flaps, which sounds cool), so am looking at that. Also found an ST MX2, which in all advertising states is made from "crash resistant EPO", which appeals greatly :0. Not sure what the Cessna is made from.
So if anyone has any other ideas please let me know, or PM if you're selling stuff or have something in stock; otherwise it's a tattoo on my arm of my daughter's name.
k
jimbyjoe is offline Find More Posts by jimbyjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2009, 06:16 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
The Death of an EZ*

My weekend of flying did not start all that well, fixed my EZ* that had come down and broken the fibreglassed nose off in a combat collision.
I hot glued it back on and all was looking good.
Took it for a fly and for some reason it was not getting enough up elevator, it would climb but it would not loop.
At one stage i got it high and then started to try and loop it over, it went inverted and would not roll over, i hit the throttle (maybe another bad mistake) and ploughed my EZ* in inverted full gas. Really broke the thing up badly, the nose that hit first is still in one piece due to the fibreglass, but it shattered further back where the fibreglass ends. Tail was reinforced with carbon square tube which also broke and tail is in cracked in half which bent the control rods. Snapped a wing tip off as well. It could be repaired, but just looking at the thing i dont have the heart to touch it, it looks dead it will remain dead, i may even symbolically bury the fuse and start my plane cemetery at one end of the paddock.

Within 10 minutes i rang Nitrodude and got them to put one of there new shipment of EZ* to the side for me. I should have it by the end of the week, considering a new Typhoon motor for the rebuild and will seriously mod this one with fibreglass and carbon before it flies.

I started to look into finally fixing my Easy Fly glider, im going to put the servo's for the ailerons just near the ailerons instead of running the long wire through the tubes. Ill need some extra carbon to finish the build, Nitrodude also offered me an Multiplex Easy Glider Pro that someone returned because of a slight wing dent for $75 so i snapped that up too.

Ended up fixing the Yuk (GP flight flex Yak) and have been having a ball with it dancing through the sky on a bigger battery pack then i had before.

My Spitfire is still going strong and the landings are slowly getting better.

Test flew a mates slinger with a align 430xl motor.... the thing tears up the sky, a tonne of fun, another one on my to buy list.
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Mar 01, 2009, 06:41 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Just noticed the old thread has now been de-listed, kind of a shame with so much helpful info kept in those forums, unsure if its just the last thread all the bbq threads, a pdf version would have been a good keepsake/reference tool.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:57 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Bud,

From what I hear I wouldn't bother fixing the Easy fly glider. The EZ Glider pro is supposed to be a real cracker. I think the other one won't get a look in after a few flights.

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Mar 02, 2009, 04:35 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
It's funny you say that clovus, from what i can tell so far they are almost identical.
It will be nice having a new plane that should fly. I'm still keen to have the Easy Fly actually fly because it was my first Aileron bird and it's never flown, mainly because i had the ailerons reversed!!

IS your ASW thing the same as the Easy Glider Pro or does it have the longer wingspan?
Old Mar 02, 2009, 09:37 PM
Friday I'm in Love
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
469 Posts
eh guys, when it comes to lipo's, is the quality going to differ greatly between brands?
i mean, if you get a cheaper one, is it more likely to be badly built, catch on fire etc?
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:24 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,456 Posts
Lithium cells are not all created equal. There are a myriad of cheap cells on the market referred to by the factories and assembly houses as grade 2 cells. Usually found on Ebay and hong kong, they sometimes pop up with brand names that are similar to the well known products.

Cheap ones are usually more thrown together compared to a quality pack, but its not just the assembly, the actual materials used in the cells are of lower grade, more impurities hence cheaper. They work fine at the start, some even put out really good power, but they dont last the distance, cycle life can be very low and they are more susceptible to gassing up if over discharged or abused with high current demands. When the cells gas its production of oxygen as the lithium is deposited on the anode, everytime this happens the cell looses capacity and hence discharge rating.

For the average small prop plane pulling maybe half the packs C rating at WOT you can get away with the cheap packs, but for anything serious with high current demands cheap packs are a false economy.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:26 PM
Friday I'm in Love
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
469 Posts
yeah thought so - even in my EF i was using the stock nicads, then when i put a venom in I could notice the difference. cheers.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:32 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Crickey I need to get out and get some flying done again...
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:47 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,934 Posts
Ive tried a few brands Jimby. Nothing beats my Zippy and Rhino (although my Hyperion pack was up there too.) The Zippy is super cheap, and Ive well and truly abused it. After many cycles its still going very strong.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Mar 03, 2009, 04:05 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
The ASW 28 is about the same wingspan but has a much higher aspect wing (it's narrower) and has upswept winglets. I was looking for a EZ glider but couldn't find one and Euromodels said he had the ASW28 in stock. Being more then slightly compulsive I got it.

So far it has been an absolute blast. It's great to now you are going to fly, even if the wind picks up.

Clovus
Old Mar 03, 2009, 04:18 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,661 Posts
I am with MC on this one with regards to the Zippys and Rhinos. But I agree with Mark too. The reason my Zippy and Rhino batteries are doing a good job is, most are 2200mA 30C packs... Meaning 66A rating. I don't have an aircraft that puts out more than say 40A at WOT, and I never run them down to cut off.

Horses for Courses I suppose. If you have a high demanding setup - maybe the cheaper batteries are not going to do it.

BUT...

I will say this... Even with my low amp setup, 3 of the more expensive batteries that I foolishly bought.... Died!

SO... for me... buying 3 batteries for the price of one = 3 chances to get a good one!!

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2009, 06:04 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,876 Posts
I've been using Rhino 3S1050 20C packs in lots of 400g-600g 3D planes that run a motor and prop combo I tested as _holding_ 19 amps static for at least 30 seconds. I've been pushing these packs hard for a few months and they still deliver awesome power and good runtime.

An advantage that I see with the _right_ choice of cheaper packs is that you can have more packs for same amount of money, allowing more time at the park/field before having to head home to recharge. To me that's more important than manufacturer's claims of longevity that I have no easy way to verify. I still remember my earlier days (it was only a year or so ago!) when I had just a couple of more expensive packs and on a good weekend flying day I'd make multiple trips back and forth between the park and home to recharge for more flying. Thanks to Rhino packs, I now have enough batteries to fly for as long as my brain can handle in one session.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Mar 03, 2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 02:58 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Does anybody have any high C rated Rhino or Zippy packs, like a 25c/50 burst? I imagine with the greater heat generated any weaknesses in wiring would be exposed.

Clovus
Old Mar 03, 2009, 03:39 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,661 Posts
Clovus - I have the Blue 30C Zippy batteries...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

I never really hit them hard and they seem to be holding up OK. I wouldn't buy anything else really. Why would I?

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member