HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:26 PM
Friday I'm in Love
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
So... I am looking for a new one. I hear the Blade CX3 is fantastic, but not sure if they are here yet... any other suggestions?
Mong, not that i'm heli God or anything, but I'm in the same situation; I was looking at a Honey Bee King 2, mainly because spares are very easy to source; i did look at a fully hopped Belt CP but a bit pricey. i've been told the T-Rex 450 is pretty good too, and that there are T-Rex clones coming out that are way cheaper.
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.snhobbies.com/index.php?cPath=22_38

I suppose you wonder what the quality is like, or if a lot of it just comes out of the same factory.

i just want something decent that I can fly outside.
k
jimbyjoe is offline Find More Posts by jimbyjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:50 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Certainly going to a larger size makes it all much more stable. I also found the stiffer fibreglass blades made it all more precise - perhaps because they weigh more then the plastic ones.

So far I have never used training gear on any of my heli's - started with the GWS dragonfly moved to the Shogun 400 and then the NR3DII. I mainly just do little hovers a foot or two off the ground and a bit of side hovering and slow forwards and backwards. There was a dude called RAD who did a huge tutorial about heli flight called Rad's school of rotary flight. I followed his method word for word to where I am today and it gave me a lot of confidence.

The Dragonfly was so light I only broke the LG a few times and I crashed plenty until I found the RAD tutorial. The Shogun has a brushed 400 motor in it and it slowly has lost power. I should get it out and put in a BL motor. The NR3DII is cool fun. Small enough to play around in the house but also seems to handle a slight breeze - very slight. I have done a few FF circuits but they can get pretty expensive if you crash and as it is a few years old I don't know if I will be able to get parts. I can do loops and rolls and hover inverted in the G3.5 but no way near brave enough to actually try for real.

Doesn't Oz have a TRex?

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:36 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
453 Posts
Anyone know how much the CX3 is going to cost in aus? Modelflight have no price yet.

I have narrowed down what heli I'm going to buy down to 4

Esky Dauphin

Esky Hunter

Esky Big Lama

Blade CX3

Major factor will be the availability as I can't find a 2.4ghz Dauphin in Australia and I can't find the Esky Hunter fullstop
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:44 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Andrew,

Did you see the Sukhoi? Where? Do you know when they will be for sale?

Clovus
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:23 AM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
Yep - I have a TREX450 - well, half of it is Crawf's to be fair...

Good ship - parts available. But a serious machine, with serious price tag on crashes...

If you just want to fly a heli outside check out the GWS dragonfly - great fixed pitch heli - I used to hover it 10-20km/hr winds - it was a challenge but could be done.

Good news is that if you learn to hover a little fixed pitch like this (using RADD's notes like Clovus said) transition to a real, expensive collective pitch is straight forward. However, with the fixed pitch if you crash her it is normally no damage, or some cheap repair.

If you do get a little fixed pitch I can recommend superskids -

http://super-skids.com/AllProducts.htm

Oz.
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:40 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,749 Posts
So OZ - What do thing about the GWS Dragonfly?
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hornsby
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Hey lads, I found you all again.
Drunkenbushman is offline Find More Posts by Drunkenbushman
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:29 PM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
Hi DB - welcome back. They kept on deleting the link to our new home over at RCU so we didn't have much option..., no doubt someone came and collected you.
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:34 PM
Friday I'm in Love
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
469 Posts
OK seeing the thread today is a bit like the QLD economy (no the thread isn't that bad), has anyone had experience with RC hovercraft? Not the ones you buy from a toy shop, but actual kit ones etc.
k
jimbyjoe is offline Find More Posts by jimbyjoe
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:37 PM
VH-SJT
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
Andrew,

Did you see the Sukhoi? Where? Do you know when they will be for sale?

Clovus
Sorry if I misled you, I was referring to the youtube video from modelflight and thought it looked really neat.
Andrew86 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew86
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:11 PM
Albury, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
989 Posts
Hi to everyone, Liam ( at RAAF Wagga)
EDFjet is offline Find More Posts by EDFjet
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:13 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
How's it going Liam?

Mong,

If you go the dragonfly you need the CF head stiffener. If only you could find someone who has one in PC that <might> be willing to pass it on (hint, hint). Oz is right, they are a good intro to FP.

Took the Glider out this morning in some pretty horrendous winds. I punched it up and then just sort of cruised w/o the motor, diving a bit to build speed and then float back up again. Downwind it was hauling, amazing when you think it was flying most of the time without motor assistance. I think I'm getting closer to tossing it off a big slope/cliff and slope soaring.

Clovus
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:21 AM
Albury, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
989 Posts
Its going well. Having a few troubles with my mustering (job) . Might have to stop and come back in 6 months or so and start again. Will keep you all updated.
EDFjet is offline Find More Posts by EDFjet
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:54 AM
Hornsby
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
I saw the whole RCU debarcle just recently.

There loss if you ask me.

In flying news on my hols I maidened my E Flight Apprentice. Flew really well. Little but twitchy in the wind but I couldnt resist. Nice short take of run but had to go around a few times to land because she has such a long glide. This is my 1st plane with Elevator and not just a delta wing so getting used to rudder is a bit differant but I was doing some nice Immelmann (sp) turns. It has a really nice big profile in the sky as well.
Drunkenbushman is offline Find More Posts by Drunkenbushman
Last edited by Drunkenbushman; Feb 27, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:04 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Liam and DB, its nice to have you back guys. The Apprentice is a nice plane mate, Ive flown one a few times. Its roll rate is just out of this world slow though
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash