SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:34 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Discussion
Anyone flying F3P in SE Minnesota area?

I have become increasingly interested in F3P flying and would like to find out if there is anyone else in my part of the world who is interested in it too. I contacted the AMA District VII Director, and he was not able to point me to anyone specific. He suggested I check with clubs in the area.

I have sent an email to a contact person in the Minnesota Area Radio Control Electric Enthusiasts (MARCEE) club and am waiting for a reply from them. They fly in the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

This forum is where I get most of my information on F3P flying. The forum is great, and the videos are inspiring, but I would really like to be able to talk in person with someone who has some experience with indoor pattern flying and to actually see it done. I live about an hour south of Minneapolis, so Minneapolis, western Wisconsin and northern Iowa are all about the same distance for me.

Thanks,

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Trying Again

As you can see, I got no replies to the first posting of this thread in 2008. I never was able to find anyone in my area who was also interested in F3P.

I thought I'd try again. Is there anyone in my area who is flying F3P and who might like to trade tips, etc?

Ray
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,564 Posts
Hello Ray,

RonJ here, live in Sparta, WI, just east of LaCrosse. Big fan of F3P but un successful in getting the super slow flight that I want. Just finished a Cirrus I built out of 3mm depron from plans here on RCG. Not happy with it, to heavy and to fast for me. Also have a Ghost designed by Bill Lowe that is super light and flys great.but very fragile.

We have a group that fly indoors every thursday in the winter. We meet at Features Restaurant in West Salem every thursday at 8AM for breakfast. If it's not to far for you ,you are welcome to join us.

RonJ
RonJ is online now Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:57 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Nice to receive a reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Hello Ray,

RonJ here, live in Sparta, WI, just east of LaCrosse. Big fan of F3P but un successful in getting the super slow flight that I want. Just finished a Cirrus I built out of 3mm depron from plans here on RCG. Not happy with it, to heavy and to fast for me. Also have a Ghost designed by Bill Lowe that is super light and flys great.but very fragile.

We have a group that fly indoors every thursday in the winter. We meet at Features Restaurant in West Salem every thursday at 8AM for breakfast. If it's not to far for you ,you are welcome to join us.

RonJ
Ron,

Thanks for the reply. I had almost given up hope that anyone near me was interested in F3P. I fly a Fancy Foam Osiris V2, and I am very happy with its slow speed flight. I have the non-milled version and wasn't a "build it as light as possible" fanatic when I built it. All up weight is 160 gm (5.6 oz).

I fly it on Tuesday evenings at the local college's field house. There are 5 basketball courts side by side, so you can see that there is plenty of room to practice F3P even when others are flying. The ceiling is 30-35 feet above the floor, so there is plenty of room for the downlines of any maneuvers I want to try. The Osiris would fly well even on a single basketball court, but you'd probably be limited to rolls, loops and inverted flight.

8 AM? That's a bit early for me, but could be done. Where do you fly? Do you go straight from breakfast to flying?

Ray