Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:07 PM
Pull up, Bob, pull up!
Cupertino, CA
Joined Feb 2007
408 Posts
Discussion
TRex 450 ESC mount

Greetings,
I picked a used TRex 450 XL, and the ESC was mounted directly below the (72 MHz) Rx, which seems less than optimal. However, I can't see a better place to put it. I did nudge it a little forward, but any further blocks airflow into the motor, and in front of that interferes w/ the canopy.
Is this where people have it?

Also, with the Deans base loaded antenna, is it typical to just bunch up the Rx wire as in the photo? Seems like that would cancel out some of the range. Or is that the point?

Sorry for the Noob question, I did a search but couldn't find a hit.
This is my first real heli (not counting the Blade CX2)

TIA,
n8
n8leon is offline Find More Posts by n8leon
Last edited by n8leon; Nov 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
Hello Leon
My Trex is an older sa and is different from yours, but I will try to help. I believe you are missing a battery tray. It should screw onto the front of the chopper. I believe the speed control should go where you are mounting the battery. Trex's don't come with balsa,that is someones attempt at a repair.

As far as the antenna I think I see 2 little loops on your landing gear (left side) There should be a tube there to run the antenna through. That will tidy it up quite a bit.

But I see one glaring problem
Where your gyro is mounted is a very bad idea. In a bad crash your gyro will be history. That "looks" like an ideal spot, but the flybar will twist around and take it out. (they sell more gyros that way) (or less because gyros ain't cheep and it will drive you out of the hobby). The best place is where you have it but UNDER the tail boom. If you can find some plexiglass cut out a small square and glue a mount down there or make one out of balsa. Good luck
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
See if this might fit your bird
http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=HS1246-75
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:12 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
I think you have bigger problems then with just your esc. Is that a broken belt i see?
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:12 PM
Pull up, Bob, pull up!
Cupertino, CA
Joined Feb 2007
408 Posts
Yeah, I knew the previous owner modified the battery tray, but he didn't tell me why. That's a good idea to fix it and put the ESC there, I hadn't thought of that.

As for the Gyro, isn't that where the manual says to put it? And if you move it down, won't you damage it in a hard landing? I'm open to moving it - just asking.

Thanks,
Nate
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:14 PM
Pull up, Bob, pull up!
Cupertino, CA
Joined Feb 2007
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64
I think you have bigger problems then with just your esc. Is that a broken belt i see?
hehe, yeah, good catch. It broke on my 2nd (attempted) flight.
Guess the previous owner wasn't into lubrication / maintenance.
My LHS guy tells me that I'll need to pick up a can of silicon spray for the belt and TriFlow for all the bearings.
Meanwhile, I did replace the belt after I took that pic.

n8
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:32 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
I love the XL frame, i have a ton of them. This is how i set mine up though.

You should do it, IMO it works WAY better.

Here is how to do the mod if your interested in trying it. If you have any problems let me know i might be able to help you.

I like this setup because its direct linked and you seem to have a little more room to mount the electronics.

Or you can put the esc. UNDER the battery if you want also. Makes it more like the metal and fiber frame Align 450 versions (to the left is a metal frame version) The battery isnt quite as balanced for inverted i guess as the S type frames but its better then the XL is stock. I like to run it above the esc better because the canopy seems to fit on better this way.
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Last edited by BowerR64; Nov 29, 2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8leon
Yeah, I knew the previous owner modified the battery tray, but he didn't tell me why. That's a good idea to fix it and put the ESC there, I hadn't thought of that.

As for the Gyro, isn't that where the manual says to put it? And if you move it down, won't you damage it in a hard landing? I'm open to moving it - just asking.

Thanks,
Nate
Under the boom block, not under the whole main frame. In the back of the frame tunnel works too, although you have to be careful placing it so you can get at the dials on the top.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:07 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,236 Posts
Okay noob question here;

I see a lot of folks posting locations other than what I thought was supposed to be correct, i.e. directly under the main drive gear which has a fan built into it.

Now all I've had so far is the E-Flite RTF stuff and this is my first T-Rex and it's a 450 SE V2, so please pardon my ignorance, but I thought the idea of this fan was to provide some airflow over the ESC for cooling purposes? If you move it someplace else it won't get that additional airflow?
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:19 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
True, it won't get that little bit of air... but in practice, if that matters your ESC or BEC were way too close to the edge of the envelope. It's not a very good fan anyway.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor