SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:23 AM
I can 3 point
Mount Dora Florida
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
Discussion
New giant scale warbird pilots. ??

I am thinking about making some giant scale warbird pilots. My wife is a well known ball jointed doll maker and she will make the originals and I will make the molds etc.
This is a sample of her work just to see how realistic they are. http://www.lumedoll.com
If anyone is interested, what scales and eras would you be interested in? I was thinking 1/5th 1/4tr and 1/3rd with helmets and goggles purchased seperately for the type and nationality of the aircraft. I am just testing the water here so let me know if you are interested.
good luck
Paul
Paul Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Paul Wilson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:00 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
What size are your wife's dolls ? Price ? They are very realistic. At the moment. I'm in need of civilian figures.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,385 Posts
I think your addressing the best market in size but I only fly in the 65 to 75" span .
If the pilots fits in my fleet from 70 to 75" I would love to buy them .
The key for me and so many others is --weight -blue box /dragon are really heavy , most of us spend the $50 to $70 on these 1/5 & 1/6 scale onlt to chop the hell out of the bodys to save weight .
Remember a pilot can add 6 to 10oz at the very critical CG area and that is a ton of dead weight
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Apr 07, 2009, 05:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
what happened to this idea? Did it happen? I am looking for a 1/5 scale american and german pilot at the moment and the cost seems to be quite prohibitive... I'd be interested to see examples of any that were made...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:22 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
538 Posts
custom faces?

Hi, can your wife do reproductions of a real person from photos? I think that would be very well received.
Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Apr 11, 2009, 03:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
I don't think he's coming back somehow...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:45 AM
I can 3 point
Mount Dora Florida
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
Reproductions of who for example.
Paul Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Paul Wilson
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:33 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
538 Posts
I was just thinking that if a guy could have his own rendition in the pilots seat it would be a selling point.
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Apr 13, 2009, 01:03 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2003
149 Posts
Check out 1/4 Scale Premier Pilots.
New, very light for RC Aircraft, very realistic and introduced this year War Bird Pilot all in 1/4 scale. Yes, a custom sculped face can be produce although a bit pricey.

www.premierpilots.net
Ren DiLeo is online now Find More Posts by Ren DiLeo
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,385 Posts
I tell what there is a market for , good hands and scale heads why ? well when you buy the scale looking bluebox guys ect , they are way to heavy . I end up spending $48 to $55 dollars only to cut the body and replace with blue foam .
I dont want a 5 to 7 oz dummy in the my bird when I can get a 2oz smarty pants blue foam guy !!! , I know that weight in a big bird is not as much as a factor as weight in a small plane but I like to build light --period
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm