SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2008, 05:14 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meronr
1.Currently using firmware version 1.7 but have the usb link on the way to update to the 1.9 firmware. Should be able to do it by Tuesday.
2.Using Normal mode to charge both forms of battery.
3.The battery is not removable on one of the ignitors the other one it is, but I am not removing it.
4.I am using a hobbico glow ignitor cable which they sell with the banana plugs already installed on it to be used on a charger, the wire is 16awg.

Hope this info will help you Dave to figure out my problem. Thanks in advance.
Meron
Hi don't use auto use linear mode.
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2008, 09:13 PM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman
will try thanks
meronr is offline Find More Posts by meronr
Old Dec 09, 2008, 09:32 PM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman
that didn't remedy the problem
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
that didn't remedy the problem
I tried several different single-cell batts and had no problems. Can you remove the one batt from the ignitor and try charging it direct?

D
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:58 PM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
I tried several different single-cell batts and had no problems. Can you remove the one batt from the ignitor and try charging it direct?

D
I removed the 4400mah nimh battery from the casing since i cant do it with the nicd battery, when i held banana plugs tightly to the positive and negative of the battery the battery charged at 1c so long as i held the banana plugs tightly to the battery. So whats wrong with my connector Dave. Thanks in advance once again
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:42 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
I removed the 4400mah nimh battery from the casing since i cant do it with the nicd battery, when i held banana plugs tightly to the positive and negative of the battery the battery charged at 1c so long as i held the banana plugs tightly to the battery. So whats wrong with my connector Dave. Thanks in advance once again
Some people have also reported trouble charging Tx batts through the port built into the Tx when using our chargers. Circuity in both Tx and your ignitor exist which apparently interferes with high-rate charging, but some other chargers get around that somehow.

I am no engineer, but will work with my smart guys to find out what is happening and how to fix it.

Although some have stated that "any" NiCd or NiMH battery can be charged at high rates, I disagree strongly. High-resistance battery types (made to supply low currents for long periods) can overheat and be damaged when charged at rates beyond a certain point, so pls do be careful about that.

David

PS: PLEASE give me a link so that I can buy one of the same ignitors you have (the one with removable battery).
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Some people have also reported trouble charging Tx batts through the port built into the Tx when using our chargers. Circuity in both Tx and your ignitor exist which apparently interferes with high-rate charging, but some other chargers get around that somehow.

I am no engineer, but will work with my smart guys to find out what is happening and how to fix it.

Although some have stated that "any" NiCd or NiMH battery can be charged at high rates, I disagree strongly. High-resistance battery types (made to supply low currents for long periods) can overheat and be damaged when charged at rates beyond a certain point, so pls do be careful about that.

David

PS: PLEASE give me a link so that I can buy one of the same ignitors you have (the one with removable battery).
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16993
This is the one I'm currently using that has a removable battery, it has a 4400 mah nimh battery but Team Trinity is coming out with a EP powered 4600 glow ignitor with the same can with meter...hope this helps and look forward to any input you can give me about the charger plug i'm using
Old Dec 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
FYI I have used similiar ignitors(glow drivers) with 1000 mAh Nicad to 3300 mAh NiMH subC cells and based on my experience the main issues are the size/length of the charging leads and dirty contacts. Most of the leads are approx. 22 ga. intended for use at very low charge rates and the contacts tend to get dirty,oily and this causes high resistence.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:51 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Yes, it would certainly be worth replacing the leads with bigger dia. wire and cleaning the contacts with contact spray (or alcohol would disove glow fuel) before charging. See if that helps and let us know pls, and I'll test on my side too.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
FYI I have used similiar ignitors(glow drivers) with 1000 mAh Nicad to 3300 mAh NiMH subC cells and based on my experience the main issues are the size/length of the charging leads and dirty contacts. Most of the leads are approx. 22 ga. intended for use at very low charge rates and the contacts tend to get dirty,oily and this causes high resistence.

Charles
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:19 PM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it would certainly be worth replacing the leads with bigger dia. wire and cleaning the contacts with contact spray (or alcohol would disove glow fuel) before charging. See if that helps and let us know pls, and I'll test on my side too.

D
There's no way to remove the stock all the way to the plug, the only thing i could do is solder a better gauge wire to the existing wire, if you have ever seen a glow igniter plug you would know what i'm talking about I'll try to take a pic so i can show you what i'm talking about. Hopefully someone can explain it better than I can till I can put a pic up
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
You can use the male(looks like glow plug) connector from a remote glow driver kit and use heavy wire with that.

My point about the small wire on stock chargers is that it is not the best for high rate charging.

I really fail to see why anyone needs to charge a glow driver at over 1/2 C anyway. A few minutes of charging would be enough to crank once and if left charging during flights / runs after a total of say 20 min. charging would(should) be enough for more than a dozen starts..

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Hey guys I have a customer who sent back an 0606i AC/DC unit a few months back because it wouldn't charge to 12.6 on any of his 3 cell packs (multiple brands) we tested it and found the same thing. If you stopped and restarted it it would finish off the pack. He has tested the packs on another charger and they charge to 12.6. Now he says his DUO is doing the same thing. Not sure what firmware he's running but I think he should be at 1.7 at least. Has anyone else seen this issue with the DUO??

Jason
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys I have a customer who sent back an 0606i AC/DC unit a few months back because it wouldn't charge to 12.6 on any of his 3 cell packs (multiple brands) we tested it and found the same thing. If you stopped and restarted it it would finish off the pack. He has tested the packs on another charger and they charge to 12.6. Now he says his DUO is doing the same thing. Not sure what firmware he's running but I think he should be at 1.7 at least. Has anyone else seen this issue with the DUO??

Jason
Ive seen that in other chargers when you have too thin charge-cables, many using those e-flight pre-made which is really thin with a thick cover..
Easy to check if that is the case since charging at very low amp rate would work..

Just a thought.
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
yeah we thought about that but he's using Hyperion charger leads.

Jason
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
I just got off the phone with the gentleman. He's setting the TCS at 100%. Firmware is 1.7. And the only way a pack will reach 12.6 volts is if he leaves it sit after the finish alarm goes off. These are various TP packs and other. He has used a TP charger and is able to get the packs to charge right to 12.6 with no isuues at all. All voltages have been confirmed with three different volt meters as well. It will not put a pack at 12.6 at the time of the end alarm. Any ideas.

Jason