HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2008, 08:30 AM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meronr
That doesn't seem to be the issue due to the fact that I have been able to charge both ignitors at 1c on my other charger which is a MRC 989 brain.
Hyperion chargers probably have better safty programs in them thuse knowing charging 1 cell at that high amprage is wrong so it turminates charge.
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Check the link at ACW after Dec 15th. We expect to have them between 15th and 20th.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepatrick
ND,

Can you let me know when you get the new displays for the 610 duo. I need 2 of them.

Thanks

Philip
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Dec 06, 2008, 06:57 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman
Hyperion chargers probably have better safty programs in them thuse knowing charging 1 cell at that high amprage is wrong so it turminates charge.

Sorry but there is nothing wrong with charging a single cell at more than 1C.
It is in fact safer to charge a single cell at a higher rate as there is no balance issue and yes I know the question is about Ni cell and yes Ni packs do get out of balance.

I have charged a single Ni cell at up to 5C as I also flew glow for over 45 years and my son still did up to this past summer.

Now , some chargers have a difficult time charging a single cell at a high rate due to the simple fact that they have a difficult time reducing the 12-15 volts input down to approx. 1.6volts output.

Some chargers come with a chart which shows max. charege rates at different voltages. Perhaps this one does also.

OP Snip
Quote:
I have been trying to charge my glow ignitors. One is a one cell 5000mah nicd battery and the other is a 1 cell 4400mah nimh battery, when I charge these batteries at 1c the voltage reads at over 2.0 volts and than the charger stops charging and gives an error message that says output voltage too high..
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 06, 2008, 11:38 AM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Theories are great and I appreciate them but I just want some definitive answers as to why I am having this problem...I know I have said that I've charged my battery at 1c on my 989 but that is not the only charger I've done it on, I've done it as well on some very good chargers, this is first time i'm having this issue with a charger and in my opinion it shouldn't be this way especially for how advanced a charger the duo is claimed to be
meronr is offline Find More Posts by meronr
Old Dec 06, 2008, 11:56 AM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Maybe someone else can help me with my dilemma...I have been trying to charge my glow ignitors. One is a one cell 5000mah nicd battery and the other is a 1 cell 4400mah nimh battery, when I charge these batteries at 1c the voltage reads at over 2.0 volts and than the charger stops charging and gives an error message that says output voltage too high..The only way that i have been able to charge these batteries is to charge them .5c or lower....PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME
You are selecting the right battery type (nicd and nimh), correct? I know it sounds like a silly question...just wanting to eliminate all possibilities. I am sure you are selecting this correctly, but it's worth a shot to ask.

Also, have you charged other battery types with this charger? Lipo? A123? Maybe it's a bum charger.

-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Dec 06, 2008, 03:36 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,383 Posts
Well i would not charge 1 cell at that hight rate only leads to a shortened life..

Also what MV sensitivity you setting your charger at maybe you need to set it a little higher? Also if these cells are always charged like you said they may be worn down and this causes a charger to false peak do to damaged over used cells
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Dec 06, 2008, 06:34 PM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
You are selecting the right battery type (nicd and nimh), correct? I know it sounds like a silly question...just wanting to eliminate all possibilities. I am sure you are selecting this correctly, but it's worth a shot to ask.

Also, have you charged other battery types with this charger? Lipo? A123? Maybe it's a bum charger.

-Hilgert
yeah i have everything set correctly
Old Dec 06, 2008, 06:36 PM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman
Well i would not charge 1 cell at that hight rate only leads to a shortened life..

Also what MV sensitivity you setting your charger at maybe you need to set it a little higher? Also if these cells are always charged like you said they may be worn down and this causes a charger to false peak do to damaged over used cells
I've tried both 5mv and 6mv both have the same result and the batteries themselves have not been charged more than 30 to 40 times doesn't like that many times to me
Old Dec 07, 2008, 08:25 AM
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
Anyone figure out what the channel button with the 1.9 firmware update changed? I cant seem to see the change the addendum talks about. Maybe i gotta redo the install?
Dragonfueled is offline Find More Posts by Dragonfueled
Old Dec 07, 2008, 07:26 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
I love my Duo! I had a problam the other night though. I pushed the mode button and the display went blank. I tried it and teh ch button and nothing made it come back. The charger was still beeping and acting like it was still charging/balancing. I had 2 6S packs charging solo. After pushing the enter button for both chargers it stopped charging. I disconnected teh packs and cycled the power. It has worked fine since. It probably charged 10 or 12 6S LiPo and 2 2S A123 batteries today. Anyone else seen this?
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:46 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
I've tried both 5mv and 6mv both have the same result and the batteries themselves have not been charged more than 30 to 40 times doesn't like that many times to me
Pls tell me the following:

1) Firmware revision
2) NiMH / NiCd MODE used to charge
3) Are the Batts inside the glow ignitor, or removed from it?
4) What is the gauge (awg) of wire used between charger and the batts?

Thanks,

David
Last edited by NipponDave; Dec 07, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:55 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
We have seen this situation when a AC>DC Power supply is being used, and the PS starts generating too much electronic noise. Typically this happens when the PS is being pushed hard, or if the PS is just poor quality. v1.9 (for DUO/NET) and the newest firmware for DUO2 and 0720iNET attempt to help address this, but in some cases the PS will need to be replaced, or draw limited.

In a few other cases out of thousands sold, we simply get an LCD problem or related issue which causes the LCD to go permanently blank or characters not to display - and which would require LCD or charger replacement as the case may be.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
I love my Duo! I had a problam the other night though. I pushed the mode button and the display went blank. I tried it and teh ch button and nothing made it come back. The charger was still beeping and acting like it was still charging/balancing. I had 2 6S packs charging solo. After pushing the enter button for both chargers it stopped charging. I disconnected teh packs and cycled the power. It has worked fine since. It probably charged 10 or 12 6S LiPo and 2 2S A123 batteries today. Anyone else seen this?
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:02 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfueled
Anyone figure out what the channel button with the 1.9 firmware update changed? I cant seem to see the change the addendum talks about. Maybe i gotta redo the install?
hang on a bit for more news on this one... The lab report for latest firmware had a note "Contact for details" on the upgrade list next to the CH BUTTON upgrade, but my firmware engineer was on holiday the past week, and I was buried trying to get docs for emeter v2 done so did not test the function myself before release. I see now that it is not as fully implemented as we wanted yet. I expect to get the background on Tues morning when he returns.

I'm guessing that full implementation involves a lot more coding than one might think, and that it is being worked on for next release. Anyway, news soon...

David

UPDATE after talking to engineers: Yep, I was right... Due to a variety of factors - such as Global Settings (PS Load etc) being under CH1 but not CH2 - and just generally a lot of required code additions, the v1.9 change is limited to this new description in the Manual Addendum:

Previously, when viewing – for example – Cell Voltages in the Data View on one CHANNEL, pushing the CH Button would take you to the previously used screen position on the other Channel. Now when the CH Button is pressed it will take you to the corresponding MODE, on the other channel, but not usually the exact same screen. It simply saves a few button pushes during setup… This applies only during setup, and not during charge (or discharge, store, etc) operation. We hope to have this function screen-to-screen and during operation in upcoming release, but it does require major rewrites so please be patient…

By "MODE" it means MEMORY, USER SETUP, DATA VIEW... is followed from CH1 to CH2, but the specific screen can't yet be followed. Anyway, it is on the table and we'll continue working to get screen-to-screen implemented all the time (as long as batts on CH1 and CH2 are the same chemistry, otherwise it may get too complex...).

David
Last edited by NipponDave; Dec 08, 2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:23 PM
One bad mama jama
Oradell New jersey
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Pls tell me the following:

1) Firmware revision
2) NiMH / NiCd MODE used to charge
3) Are the Batts inside the glow ignitor, or removed from it?
4) What is the gauge (awg) of wire used between charger and the batts?

Thanks,

David
1.Currently using firmware version 1.7 but have the usb link on the way to update to the 1.9 firmware. Should be able to do it by Tuesday.
2.Using Normal mode to charge both forms of battery.
3.The battery is not removable on one of the ignitors the other one it is, but I am not removing it.
4.I am using a hobbico glow ignitor cable which they sell with the banana plugs already installed on it to be used on a charger, the wire is 16awg.

Hope this info will help you Dave to figure out my problem. Thanks in advance.
Meron
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:11 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,178 Posts
Been playing with my duo2 for a week now. It rocks Im charging lipos as quick as I can fly them! Where as I was constantly waiting for my poor over worked 606iAC/DC to churn them out. I actually like the noise as of the 2 fans in the charger and the 2 fans in the PS fire up, mmmmm... Power
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister