Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Only comment on EOS INSIGHT so far (I have not hooked it up to a charger yet) is that it would be nice to be able to tile the two channels so that both graphs could be up at the same time. Seems like a nifty program - I especially like the auto find feature when looking for which port the charger is connected to.

-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:32 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum
OK, first a little rant: In order to run in emulation, a paid copy of Windows is required. After somebody has shelled out $270-$300 on a charger, the last thing they want to do is shell out another $100 or more to put Windows on their machines
I'm a PC guy, and did not know that. Rant understood.

See PM for more, thanks.

D
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:00 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
It should not be too hard - the output from the charger is very easy to decipher. I did it awhile back and imported it into Excel (they make that for the Mac you know...) and graphed it from there.

-Hilgert
Details of the serial data record formats for many devices, including the EOS chargers, can be found in the metadata files that come with LogView.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 01, 2008, 08:22 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum
OK, first a little rant: In order to run in emulation, a paid copy of Windows is required. After somebody has shelled out $270-$300 on a charger, the last thing they want to do is shell out another $100 or more to put Windows on their machines, especially when a lot of people bought Macs so they wouldn't have to deal with Windows. End of rant.
No offense but Mac has always been a second thought, there are some 1.1 Billion personal computers in the world and more than 80% of them run Windows. If a person were creating a product that needed an OS behind it, they'd be foolish not to opt for Windows support. Adding support for Mac will no doubt increase operating costs so to counter your "rant", I don't want to pay for someone to develop software for the 15%...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Dec 01, 2008, 08:49 AM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Amen brother, amen.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Dec 01, 2008, 03:45 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
Using this software with the Mac

I hope we won't start seeing any postings going on about Macs and PCs. There's plenty of that elsewhere guys. Boring :-)

Now the good news for Mac owners (and yes of course you will need a copy of Windows until some nice clever person writes a native OSX application).

I've just run EOS INSIGHT on my Macbook Pro under both Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion using Vista and it works perfectly! Even better the exported data file imports into Mac Excel 2008 without a problem.

Yeh!! Mac owners now at last have a powerful tool to analyze charging behavior with the Duo and Net.

If you want to try it here's what I did.

1) In Windows (either using Bootcamp or in VMWare - I haven't had a chance to try it in Parallels but suspect it will work fine) download the Silicon Labs driver for the Hyperion USB cable from Hyperion's support site at

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/prgusb-drv.htm

2) Install it normally

3) Download and Install EOS INSIGHT similarly

4) Plug in the charger and tell the software to find it.

How hard is that?

Just drag the exported CSV data file to your Mac desktop and import it into Mac Excel for further analysis and graphing.

Big thanks to Alan for writing this and adding the export data function. :-)
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 01, 2008, 03:49 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
Using sofware with Macs UPDATE

Sorry, should have mentioned I used XP as well and it also works fine.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:35 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,554 Posts
Oh, I'm not saying it won't work. In fact, I've even flashed the firmware with XP running in Parallels.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Dec 01, 2008, 10:08 PM
Joined Feb 2007
64 Posts
Dave
It would be great if u made the next duo with 400 to 450 watts of power, 8s lipoly, A123 cells and 20amp charge capability on each side.

That would fore fill all my needs and I would never have to buy a charger again as 400 to 450 watts of power would be great for charging both large lipoly and large A123 packs at fast rates.

Marcus
04hepmar is offline Find More Posts by 04hepmar
Old Dec 01, 2008, 10:24 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
450W/2 = 225W per port which would only charge 8S A123 at 8A. If you want to really take advantage of the fast charge capacity of A123 cells then you need to ask for 1000W = 500W/port which will charge 8S A123 at 18A

Of course such a charger would need up to 1200W DC input power and to keep currents manageable that would mean say 24V @50A. Now the DC supply would draw up to 1500W from the AC wall socket - which is OK in geographies with 220/240V@10A (2400W) as the standard but challenging for you folk with 110/120V@15A (1600W) circuits !
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 01, 2008, 10:54 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Secret spy pix - new high-power DUO ULTIMO...Dave's beta test unit. Will charge 30s lipo at 1000A...

hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Dec 02, 2008, 12:31 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Successfully updated both Duo's to Firmware Version 1.9!

Now just have to find some 50000mAh Lipos to test them out on....

Although looking forward to having the data view being independent of channel select and the lithium IR values being more realistic.
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Dec 02, 2008, 01:47 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Of course such a charger would need up to 1200W DC input power and to keep currents manageable that would mean say 24V @50A. Now the DC supply would draw up to 1500W from the AC wall socket - which is OK in geographies with 220/240V@10A (2400W) as the standard but challenging for you folk with 110/120V@15A (1600W) circuits !
Yep, and it is really quite difficult to pack more into a DUO charger than we have and still keep the price in reason. The nice thing about the current DUO is the very high relative performance for the price...

As for a 1500W AC-only single-port solution, we're working on it with targets of 40A and 15S lipo. Who knows when it'll be done, but we are moving forward...

D
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Dec 02, 2008, 06:53 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
Secret spy pix - new high-power DUO ULTIMO...Dave's beta test unit. Will charge 30s lipo at 1000A...
C'mon Hilgert everyone knows that's just a cutaway of a flux capacitor. An 80's model at that. Nice try though.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Dec 02, 2008, 09:15 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Yep, and it is really quite difficult to pack more into a DUO charger than we have and still keep the price in reason. The nice thing about the current DUO is the very high relative performance for the price...

As for a 1500W AC-only single-port solution, we're working on it with targets of 40A and 15S lipo. Who knows when it'll be done, but we are moving forward...

D
Dave,

That's nice but the issue now there is a disconnect between LiPo technology and chargers. Neu just released new packs that can be charged @ 5C, I'll now need more than 25A just for fast charging my 6S LiPo's. I brought this up before but it's time someone considers current technology and designs a charger with ample power, this back-and-forth with battery and charger limits each leapfrogging the other is getting costly. Forget the cost for a second, what are the other issues with designing a dual port 1,000 watt floating charger?

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter