HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
I get close by using method previously stated. MrMel confirmed the 40-70% is fine for storage... I'll go with his opinion.

Now I need his response on the accuracy of the EOS Sentry checker... low by .05v on 3s. Maybe that's good enough as well?
stanleyg is offline Find More Posts by stanleyg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
I am by no means a battery expert and I am still figuring out the best way to treat these batteries.

As I said my batteries will be sitting in my basement for a few months so a few extra minutes on a storage charge is no big deal.

Was the Hyperion storage process made for speed at the expense of a little bit of extra battery wear or is the thinking that this method results in just as good or better battery longevity as any other method?
BrianAp is offline Find More Posts by BrianAp
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:49 PM
TVo
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
Hyperion EOS1420i Charger

Anyone here had connected Hyperion EOS1420i charger to PC through EOS Control & Data Suite software?

I just installed this software, and for some reasons, I could not view the cell voltages on port B balancer when charging dual packages. Any ideas?
TVo is offline Find More Posts by TVo
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:45 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAp View Post
I am by no means a battery expert and I am still figuring out the best way to treat these batteries.

As I said my batteries will be sitting in my basement for a few months so a few extra minutes on a storage charge is no big deal.

Was the Hyperion storage process made for speed at the expense of a little bit of extra battery wear or is the thinking that this method results in just as good or better battery longevity as any other method?
hyperion doesnt use a cv stage in the storage process, the voltage range for storage is so wide, hyperion chargers just end the charge when they hit "tcs" which is fine since it ends up in this range, however, i think it would be nice if hyperion gave you a cv option, such as the powerlab 8, for people who want to control exactly how their batteries are being treated. I prefer the powerlabs way of doing it, it takes a little longer, but is much more precise, and you can adjust it to your liking.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:29 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I agree

Should be an easy addition via firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
hyperion doesnt use a cv stage in the storage process, the voltage range for storage is so wide, hyperion chargers just end the charge when they hit "tcs" which is fine since it ends up in this range, however, i think it would be nice if hyperion gave you a cv option, such as the powerlab 8, for people who want to control exactly how their batteries are being treated. I prefer the powerlabs way of doing it, it takes a little longer, but is much more precise, and you can adjust it to your liking.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:36 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
As I already stated, I'm afraid it will not happen.
It's built around the TCS and storage mode will use that without CV Stage.
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:31 PM
Mooresville, NC
Joined Dec 2004
266 Posts
Storage Mode

With the latest firmware update Hyperion changed something and I now DO NOT like how Storage Mode works

Why would they make it worse? They need to offer a CV mode (with a selectable voltage cutoff). It would also be nice to be able to set a mAH cutoff also when charging.

Michael
MichaelT1960 is offline Find More Posts by MichaelT1960
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:33 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
With the latest firmware update Hyperion changed something and I now DO NOT like how Storage Mode works
There will be a fix for that shortly.

Quote:
Why would they make it worse? They need to offer a CV mode (with a selectable voltage cutoff). It would also be nice to be able to set a mAH cutoff also when charging.
I'm afraid that will probably not happen.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post

The reason I like an exact voltage is I often do parallel charging. When I come home for the day I set all my batteries on a storage charge. Some charge and some discharge but (with the turnigy charger) they all end up at 3.85V. Having all my packs balanced and at the same voltage makes parallel charging much faster. The problem comes at the CV stage of a charge. When the packs are at an uneven voltage the last bit of charging can take a long time to get them balanced. Having packs .05V off is no problem for parallel charging but it just takes a long time for the packs to level out.

I don't understand why the charger can't be easily programed to target a specific voltage for storage. Can't you just program it to run a standard charge profile but target 3.85V instead of 4.2 for storage? Kind of like what happens when you select a LiFe pack. It runs the same charging algorithm but is set for 3.3V. Could you trick it into doing this by just adding an additional battery type? LiPo, LiFe, and LiPo storage?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:11 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,168 Posts
Packs that are charged in parallel do not need to be at the exact same voltage in order to reap the benefits of parallel charging, nor does the charge process take any longer as the packs will self-balance during the charge process by virtue of the parallel connection. I typically strive to have packs within .1V/cell (e.g. - .3V for 3S packs) prior to connecting in parallel.

More than you could ever want to know regarding parallel charging of lipolys: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319.

Charging or discharging for storage is not an exact science and Hyperion's algorithm is perfectly adequate and will have negligible effect on the life of your battery investment. If you would like all packs to have the same voltage prior to placing into long term storage, simply connect all packs of the same cell count in parallel for a few hours to allow them to balance out. You can also reduce the current during storage charging / discharging to reduce the effects of voltage drop and achieve closer to your 3.85 V/cell if it gives you concern.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:22 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Packs that are charged in parallel do not need to be at the exact same voltage in order to reap the benefits of parallel charging, nor does the charge process take any longer as the packs will self-balance during the charge process by virtue of the parallel connection. I typically strive to have packs within .1V/cell (e.g. - .3V for 3S packs) prior to connecting in parallel.

More than you could ever want to know regarding parallel charging of lipolys: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319.

Charging or discharging for storage is not an exact science and Hyperion's algorithm is perfectly adequate and will have negligible effect on the life of your battery investment. If you would like all packs to have the same voltage prior to placing into long term storage, simply connect all packs of the same cell count in parallel for a few hours to allow them to balance out. You can also reduce the current during storage charging / discharging to reduce the effects of voltage drop and achieve closer to your 3.85 V/cell if it gives you concern.

Mark
After you have your packs at the proper storage level (3.80-3.85)...put them in a freezer bag...remove all the air possible (optional), and keep the batteries in the FRIDGE during the months they are not in use.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
You can also reduce the current during storage charging / discharging to reduce the effects of voltage drop and achieve closer to your 3.85 V/cell if it gives you concern.

Mark
I might do this. It is like creating my own manual CV stage. A charger of this quality should be doing this on its own.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:26 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAp View Post
I might do this. It is like creating my own manual CV stage. A charger of this quality should be doing this on its own.
If its that important to you, another brand is only option
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
How is TCS calculated?

Does anyone know the formula and variables that are used to come up with a TCS value? It may be complex but I am curious to know how it can estimate the capacity in my packs shortly after plugging them in. It can't be as simple as a straight voltage reading. Does it somehow take into consideration the reduction in capacity as a pack ages? Depending on how it is calculated this could be helpful in determining the true amps a pack can draw and still be above %20 remaining. I know that as a pack ages its capacity drops and the amount you can draw and not go below %20 reduces. I just can't be sure where this is point currently in my packs.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:51 AM
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined May 2005
299 Posts
Can someone point me to the latest firmware for the EOS0610i Duo (not the Duo2)? The latest I can find on the Hyperion download site is 2.0 which is older than what I already have installed. I've seen references in this thread to a v2.4. Does it exist?
xxrando is offline Find More Posts by xxrando