HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:53 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
They are already alerted since day #1 but I never seen it on bigger packs.
Sure it was not discharging?
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:21 AM
USA, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2006
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Ok, my 720i super duo with the latest firmware update. Had 4 6s 5000 lipos charging on a parallel board at 1c. All packs were storage charged at 3.85. Charger took about 40 min. To charge to 4.19 then another 40 min. To stop charging. Why is the balance charge taking so long?!? 80 min is a bit ridiculous.
If you haven't figured it out yet, its due to you parallel charging packs of different internal resistance/quality/etc. Parallel charging almost always takes longer to balance, and the worst pack will slow the whole bunch down. I've had packs that refused to parallel charge before they timed out, but individually, would charge normally, albeit slowly, because they were cheap worn out packs.
michael503 is offline Find More Posts by michael503
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:24 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
This is ridiculous! Almost EVERY lipo charged is getting hung up in the final stage or top off balance charging. I had a 6s5000 take 86 min to go from 3.80 to storage charge at 50%! This never happened before this latest firmware update. The output error warnings thankfully stopped but now there's this nonsense. Will backing down to 5.5 fix this? I hate going backwards so if Mr. Mel can alert the appropriate people to address this I would appreciate it. They must have somehow thrown these end stage balance processes off when they adjusted it for supposed sensitivity and better generator use......
I was too quick to answer, michael503's answer is correct, running 4 x 6s 5000 packs in parallel will NOT be faster with any firmware update.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:11 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
No, I'm talking about 1 single 6s pack not parallel........before I upgraded the firmware all my packs balanced out and the charger cut off. I also never had a problem with the parallel boards before this firmware update, my mini 2s board never had an issue before this newest update......I did have a lot of output connect errors though.......if I read right hyperion messed around with the balancing algorithm to get better generator performance and to make it LESS sensitive. Now it seems to be MORE. By the way, my 2s packs are 2s 250mah packs.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Last edited by hidaven; Dec 05, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
I love the fact that Hyperion offers firmware updates for their chargers in/ out of production, but I must say this last one blows, input voltage is now inaccurate as well as pack voltage on my 0615 duo, time to go backwards on the firmware even though I love the new ir feature.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:40 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
I love the fact that Hyperion offers firmware updates for their chargers in/ out of production, but I must say this last one blows, input voltage is now inaccurate as well as pack voltage on my 0615 duo, time to go backwards on the firmware even though I love the new ir feature.
Input voltage has been reported, and confirmed but output voltage I seen no issues with, please report in what way and what equipment to measure you use.

(I checked mine with a very exact DVM and it was less than 0.001v off)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:43 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Problems I have been experiencing with firmware 5.82 on my 0720i NET3:

- Internal Resistance (IR) of the pack is shown as zero during storage charge
- Internal Resistance (IR) of the cells is shown as zero during storage charge
- the current ramps up very abruptly during storage charge (they did finally fix this for normal charge in this firmware)
- at the end of the charge the balancing of the cells takes longer than with previous versions of the firmware

It's nice though that Hyperion offers firmware updates for chargers no longer in production.
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
Last edited by 3Dmuse; Dec 07, 2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
Input voltage has been reported, and confirmed but output voltage I seen no issues with, please report in what way and what equipment to measure you use.

(I checked mine with a very exact DVM and it was less than 0.001v off)
Mr Mel, you are correct, used my other meter to measure output voltage, I then used the one I know is calibrated and got within the same tolerances as you, the input voltage is still off as you said. Thanks.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
96 Posts
Just bought a an EOS0720i NET3 AD. Is it possible to remove the DC power cable somehow? I won't be using it, and it's sticking out like a thorn in my new charger.

I'm also wondering that the slot at the bottom of the charger is for? It opens like a battery compartment, but it's obviously not one.
ignis is offline Find More Posts by ignis
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
Jersey City,NJ
Joined Feb 2008
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignis View Post
Just bought a an EOS0720i NET3 AD. Is it possible to remove the DC power cable somehow? I won't be using it, and it's sticking out like a thorn in my new charger.

I'm also wondering that the slot at the bottom of the charger is for? It opens like a battery compartment, but it's obviously not one.
YOU won't be using it, but maybe one day you outgrow the charger and want to sell it and find it's worthless because everyone else does...zip tie it and tape it to the charger nice and out of the way.

The slot is the escape hatch for the gremlins that live inside working out all the algorithyms required to charge your batteries.
sodbuster 1 is offline Find More Posts by sodbuster 1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Dec 2012
96 Posts
Darn. oh well, zipties it is then

One more question. Trying to set the charger up for juicing a 2s 5A Hyperion G3 lipo. I've noticed that I can't set the charge rate above 10 amps. Why not? It even says on the charger itself that it can do up to 20 with both AC and DC power.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
Jersey City,NJ
Joined Feb 2008
199 Posts
Quote:
Darn. oh well, zipties it is then

One more question. Trying to set the charger up for juicing a 2s 5A Hyperion G3 lipo. I've noticed that I can't set the charge rate above 10 amps. Why not? It even says on the charger itself that it can do up to 20 with both AC and DC power.
I wouldn't rush to use those zip ties just yet if i were you....

You need to read the fine Japglish so to speak.....

"The NET3-AD is the most powerful AC/DC charger available today.With AC input, it can charge a 5000mAh 2S car pack at more than 2C (~11.5A) and on DC nearly 4C (~19A). Or on AC a 3S 2100mAh pack at can hit almost 4C, and on DC input up to 6C!"
sodbuster 1 is offline Find More Posts by sodbuster 1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
96 Posts
I've tried both AC and DC (Graupner 13.8v DC max 20A PSU), and in both cases I could never set the charge rate above 10.0 amps.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
RC flying addiction
Joined Dec 2012
263 Posts
Quote:
I've tried both AC and DC (Graupner 13.8v DC max 20A PSU), and in both cases I could never set the charge rate above 10.0 amps.
What do you have the C rating set to?
RC_Adik is offline Find More Posts by RC_Adik
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
96 Posts
I don't see a C rating setting anywhere when I click through the charge setup,

The LIPO in question has a recommended charge rate of 5C. Which is more than twice the 10A I can get out of my 0720i so far