Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:58 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,942 Posts
Noted. However, at even 850-950mAh capacity per cell, these are amazing little buggers. They seemingly thrive on abuse and keep coming back for more. Cycle life is also phenomenal so most consider them to be fantastic, despite overstated capacity.

I've yet to kill any of my A123's. Wish I could say the same for any other chemistry....

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,006 Posts
Thanks, LowWatts, that is basically what I was going to do to help bmoney find a baseline to compare to (On 2300 mah cells, I do not use 1100 mah cells), he was wanting to know voltage drop as well at each discharge rate. Another thing that affects usable mah is how well the cells are matched. If they aren't well matched, you'll loose some capacity as the battery will only be as good as the weakest cell.

I hadn't considered battery quality either, but I would agree that if they are cheaper knock-off cells, the performance may be due to that as well. Agreed mrforsyth on the A123's, I have made flight packs out of them, and other than it going dead like a flip of a switch and subsequent deadstick landings, they can't be beat.
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:02 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
OOF and I have been using those in my 50cc planes.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined May 2004
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Agree with you the A123 2300mAh cells are great but the poster has 1100mAh cells. They are notoriously overspecd for capacity. Most of mine struggle to reach 900mAh even at moderate discharge rates. That is for geniune A123s. The Chinese copies are even worse.

BTW A123, filed for bankruptcy protection last month.

John

Couldn’t agree more. My first experience with A123 (genuine cells) was the 1100. Cycled it 3 times, discharge at .5c and charge at 1c and could not get it above it 850.
bmoney69 is offline Find More Posts by bmoney69
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
from what i read and my experiance, the a123 1100's will only get you 850-900 for capacity
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I'm going from 12volt charger to a 24volt power supply on my super duo. Do I need to change any input settings on the charger or will it do it automatically?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:49 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
I'm going from 12volt charger to a 24volt power supply on my super duo. Do I need to change any input settings on the charger or will it do it automatically?
Default settings should do fine.
MrMel is online now Find More Posts by MrMel
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Ok, last question. In the user settings there's a bar graph for adjusting the power level per side. It's default is 50% each side. If I move that slider I'm guessing that I can put more power to one side say 70-30. If I do that can I get more than the 500 watts and 20 amps per side? Also, when I'm charging my lipos, during the charging the power cycles from full charging down to zero then back to full charging power, is this normal?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Ok, last question. In the user settings there's a bar graph for adjusting the power level per side. It's default is 50% each side. If I move that slider I'm guessing that I can put more power to one side say 70-30. If I do that can I get more than the 500 watts and 20 amps per side? Also, when I'm charging my lipos, during the charging the power cycles from full charging down to zero then back to full charging power, is this normal?
The max limit (500watt/20A) can never be exceeded.

the breaks in the charge process is the measurement step and is normal (it measures Internal Resistance and % charged)
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Thanks pal....
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
I am trying to upgrade my 610i net. It is currently running version 1.0 firmware. I have all the correct connectors and software. I search for the com port and it is found no problem. I proceed with the upgrade and nothing happens. I tried manually cycling the charger with the same results. I get an error "Found not target device!"

I even tried using the older upgrade software and version 1.6 with no luck.

I have tried 2 different computers and different USB ports on each.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
253 Posts
1. Power Off charger
2. Start the Update Program
3. Search COM port
4. Browse firmware file
5. Press "Programm" button, you should soon see the “Waiting for hardware reset”… message
6. Power On charger
7. If the bootloader program in your charger is below v2.5, the bootloader will be updated first (click “OK” when asked), ending with a message “Bootloader has been successfully updated”. The charger will automatically reset, and then start the firmware update. When FW update is finished, you should see a message: “Successfully Done!!”
8. INITIALIZATION STEP AFTER UPDATE:
* Power OFF the charger
* PRESS and HOLD DOWN the MODE Button, then power ON the charger
* Release MODE button
* Press ENTER button (once or twice, depending on charger and FW update). POWER OFF Charger. Power On to use.
vlad_vy is offline Find More Posts by vlad_vy
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:54 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Note, for the original (very old) 610iNet there is no new bootloader, so it's totally on your own risk doing the update.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:19 PM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_vy View Post
1. Power Off charger
2. Start the Update Program
3. Search COM port
4. Browse firmware file
5. Press "Programm" button, you should soon see the “Waiting for hardware reset”… message
6. Power On charger
7. If the bootloader program in your charger is below v2.5, the bootloader will be updated first (click “OK” when asked), ending with a message “Bootloader has been successfully updated”. The charger will automatically reset, and then start the firmware update. When FW update is finished, you should see a message: “Successfully Done!!”
8. INITIALIZATION STEP AFTER UPDATE:
* Power OFF the charger
* PRESS and HOLD DOWN the MODE Button, then power ON the charger
* Release MODE button
* Press ENTER button (once or twice, depending on charger and FW update). POWER OFF Charger. Power On to use.
Tried this exactly, no change. Even tried a third computer. One computer is XP and the other two are Win 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
Note, for the original (very old) 610iNet there is no new bootloader, so it's totally on your own risk doing the update.
Perhaps this is the problem. The charger has Version 1.0.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
253 Posts
What COM port you see? Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMx)?
vlad_vy is offline Find More Posts by vlad_vy