HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Dec 2006
40 Posts
Hello all,

I have an original EOS0610i DUO and I am trying to update the firmware to the latest. For some reason with the new interface I am having trouble getting it to "find hardware" with the original DUO. I have 2X DUO3's and they both updated to 5.1 just fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mike
longballlumber is offline Find More Posts by longballlumber
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
Hello all,

I have an original EOS0610i DUO and I am trying to update the firmware to the latest. For some reason with the new interface I am having trouble getting it to "find hardware" with the original DUO. I have 2X DUO3's and they both updated to 5.1 just fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mike
Mine is doing the same thing. Original Duo keeps receiving "Hardware not Found" error. It had no problem doing updates up to 2.0. Will not do 2.3 or 2.4. Would really like the extra memory slots, as I have to keep redoing for 3 different batteries.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,620 Posts
Hyperion 0615iDUO3+ charger over stock sales, US$199.99 + US$15 worldwide shipping.
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=153

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Opto isolator USB Port Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
The isolator discussed at Post 3458 through 3468 seems to be working well for me. I think it is good insurance if you have PS/Charger issues and potential ground loops.
--------------------------------------

Well I have another Opto Isolator for your consideration. After I just Fried my Dell 8300 mother board I found this one. Voltage protection seems higher than the one in the prevous posts as noted above.

This one also claims to isolate everything, even the +5V power.
It is USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 compliant. You do get a wall wart with the unit all for $49.85 plus about 6 bucks shipping.

I don't have the Hyperion charger but I do connect a bunch of cell monitors, and other devices like the Eagle Tree logger, i106B and FMA Cellpro and Thunderpower 1010 chargers as well as my CBA which I have always been concerned about the static discharges. I know static is not the concern here but this unit should take care of everything.

Every once in a while I will get a "carpet strike" of static electricity and I guess the Dell just got tired of that.

Any how this looks like a good device, you don't need extra cables, and the connections are standard USB port A I believe.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...FcsaQgodX3R_lQ
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:20 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Watchdog reset - does it work?

Since everything work well I have no reason to follow the thread for a long time, but recently there was an issue of frozen charger, caused clearly by connection between charger and PC by metalic USB cable without opto isolators, and both PC and PSU connected to mains (ground loops and so on are natural and sure they are harmfull).
The worse point is, that it was reported as frozen text on lcd and no response to pushbuttons, but it kept charge current flowing - which resulted in 6s G3 pack charged to 27V (before user noticed the problem and stopped the charger). Perfectly balanced at 4.5V per cell, but.....
I think that there should be watchdog circuit internal in controller, which could initiate charger reset in such case, resulting in stop of current flow..
Did it happen to anybody else, or is it just a rare occasion?

As for me, I am using Bluetooth Serial Module in charger, and have PC with charge software connected by wireless link (mapped COM port from bluetooth manager of PC).
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:28 AM
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
There is a design problem in hyperion charger with non isolated USB.

This is not tolerable for such a high current device connected to mains through a third party power supply and at the same time to a Desk PC for charge monitoring.

So all kind of problems can be triged by this, from Hyperion USB port destruction, to PC USB port destruction, and charger crashes.

The best is to ask Hyperion to solve the problem, or offer a low cost isolator for previous users as it is a big modification.

I did destroy a 720i Super Duo3 Charger USB port because of this, my local reseller did exchange it; now i'm always using an USB isolator and never got this problem again.
HexaTech is offline Find More Posts by HexaTech
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:51 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
There is a design change being done now, first test units is ready.

Im also testing a $12 ebay BT module that i soldered on my 720
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:24 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
As for design, I may accept that it burned, that is managed by psu versus PC ground..
I may not accept that charge current keep flowing.. I wonder if the watchdog is just unused (unchecked fuse?), or it was a kind of rare combination of circumstances that it did not suffice.

Opto isolated USB is complex task.
But it is serial communication and opto isolated serial is very simple (just two optocouplers). They may put them between charger mcu and serial to USB converter, even if it is internal to charger...

As for bluetooth module, mine does not have error checking implemeted - sometimes it may loose few bytes. It is perfectly ok for recording and analysing charge logs, but I never use it to upgrade firmware.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:18 AM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
--------------------------------------

Well I have another Opto Isolator for your consideration. After I just Fried my Dell 8300 mother board I found this one. Voltage protection seems higher than the one in the prevous posts as noted above.

This one also claims to isolate everything, even the +5V power.
It is USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 compliant. You do get a wall wart with the unit all for $49.85 plus about 6 bucks shipping.

I don't have the Hyperion charger but I do connect a bunch of cell monitors, and other devices like the Eagle Tree logger, i106B and FMA Cellpro and Thunderpower 1010 chargers as well as my CBA which I have always been concerned about the static discharges. I know static is not the concern here but this unit should take care of everything.

Every once in a while I will get a "carpet strike" of static electricity and I guess the Dell just got tired of that.

Any how this looks like a good device, you don't need extra cables, and the connections are standard USB port A I believe.

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...FcsaQgodX3R_lQ
So far so good. I have not had any more problems since I started using the above noted opto isolator.

I did test it for speed with a memory stick and it only runs at USB1 speed not USB2 as advertized. Talked to tech support and they investigated. Found that some of the parts that the supplier sent were only USB 1 compatible.
I am waiting to hear back from them when the issue is resolved so I can get the revised unit.

But for now I have not found any difficulties using it with my RC loggers or chargers.

Cheers, John
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,389 Posts
John, it's good to have real life feedback on experience with these so for what it is worth here's mine.

Using the Olimex opto isolator in posts 3458-3468 I have had no issues so far with speed once connected. Using WinXP mainly but Win7 works too.

They specify

USB isolation 1000V DC between USB host and USB device
USB 2.0 compliant
Full speed data rate: 12 Mbps

I have noticed it seems to take the EOS Suite longer to boot up and establish connection and often only one Charger connects. I am using a DuoIII and a SuperDuoIII into a cheapo passive USB bridge which is supposed to be USB2 - but who knows. Some times you have to re-initialise the chargers from the File menu to get both recognised but after that it works totally reliably.

My guess is that the bridge is the problem not the isolator.

Agree with coro however. This isolation should be built into the charger in the serial circuit. Unfortunately Hyperion product development in the charger/Emeter space appears to have slowed/stopped since Dave disappeared. Trust Mr Mel's news about continuing development turns into actual improvements.

Regards, John
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
So far so good. I have not had any more problems since I started using the above noted opto isolator.

I did test it for speed with a memory stick and it only runs at USB1 speed not USB2 as advertized. Talked to tech support and they investigated. Found that some of the parts that the supplier sent were only USB 1 compatible.
I am waiting to hear back from them when the issue is resolved so I can get the revised unit.

But for now I have not found any difficulties using it with my RC loggers or chargers.

Cheers, John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:22 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
John, it's good to have real life feedback on experience with these so for what it is worth here's mine.

Regards, John
Hi John, I almost ordered the Olimex isolator but I wanted to make sure it was 1.1 and 2.0 compatible and so far I have 1.1 only...Oh Well, they will fix it.

So far I am happy with it at the 1.1 speed with my RC stuff but I really want the high speed for static protection on USB memory sticks. I don't care to replace my MB again. LOL

I think these are great devices since the manufactures do not provide proper isolation with the chargers when you could wipe out your pc due to various wiring and operational problems.

Really glad I read this thread and got the scoop on the isolators.

Cheers, John
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:09 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,305 Posts
I am using the voltage checker Hyperion sells and have noticed that it is way off when it comes to indicating the percentage of the pack. I have noticed that my two DUO are also off when it comes to the estimation of the pack percentage.

For instance, I have some 6S 35C Polyquest 5,050 mAh packs in a heli. After a flight they read 8% to 10% left in the pack on the Hyperion checker. The DUO says the same thing. Yet when I charge them at 1C (5.1 amps) I only put back ~2,900 mAh of capacity (57%). So the checker and DUO say I should be putting back ~4,500 mAh and yet it only take ~2,900 to reach 100% charge.

I see the same thing using LiFePO4 packs. The checker and DUO underestimate the pack status as compared to what goes back in. I'm very confused by this to say the least.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:11 PM
Joined Mar 2010
497 Posts
LOL, every pack has a different voltage depending on C rating etc etc and if you check right after discharge OR once its cool.

It would be impossible to make it entirely accurate due to the fact there is so many lipos in the world and the age/condition is different.

Use it as a tool to check cell voltage and balance and rough indication if you over discharge your lipo.

Its never going to be 100% accurate no matter how much you want it to be, thats why you recharge and then see how much you put back
helicraze is offline Find More Posts by helicraze
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
497 Posts
The polyquest cells are good but rather old lipo technology hence why it thinks you have discharged more than you really have
helicraze is offline Find More Posts by helicraze
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:32 PM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
937 Posts
My 1420i Net3 capacity left percentage is pretty accurate for my new Gens Ace 4000mah 25C cells (which performed well under tests on this forum). They would say about 46% when there was 50% left but the mah you put back in is not accurate either because recharging is not 100% efficient. If it says you put back 2500mah you might have only put 2450 in that is usable for example. So maybe it is even more accurate than what I said .
xStatiCa is online now Find More Posts by xStatiCa