SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I don't really see much advantage to such a feature, unless you have a crash and want to transfer the electrons from that heli's charged flight packs into the batteries of another heli.

Of course, when you're flying big packs, a field battery is of limited usefulness anyway IMO; a generator is more suited in that case and the regenerative discharge feature won't work with a generator. One of my buddies had a deep-cycle battery at a fun fly and ended up having to sponge off my generator for about half the day when he ran down his battery.
Regen discharge is mostly only useful when charging off deep cycles. It allows you to recharge the deep cycle while rapidly discharging a flight pack. It can be very handy when testing packs, as you can cycle energy into the pack and then back out at high rates, and never have to charge the deep cycle because most of the energy is being replaced each cycle. There is one other very cool use though, one I have used, and that is that you can recharge your car battery with a flight pack in the case when you run it down while charging your flight packs. It takes the worry out of running your car battery down.

I guess in the end it is not a required feature by any means but it is one that is available on 2 other popular charger brands (where one simply released a firmware update to enable it on all their chargers), and can be handy to some people.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Regenerative discharge may not seem very handy / important to some but on the other hand there have many complains in Hyperion charger threads of the extremely low 300 mA(per cell) discharge rate of the Original DUO ,the 25 watts limit of some of the other ones and even the 80 watt limit of the 730iNet 3.

Now that many are learning the importance of not leaving LiPolys mostly charged but instead storing them between useage at approx. 3.85 per cell having a means to discharge at decent rates is a big help.

Even a lowly 4S 3300 being discharged at 80 watts can take a fair amount if time to go from 4.2 to 3.8 per cell. More and more are flying higher cell counts and higher capacity.

I for one love being able to discharge any extra charged packs I end up with back into my deep cycles at the field while I fly my last flight and load up.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:22 PM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
I don't think this has been mentioned before; for those in the USA Allerc.com is now listing the EOS 1420i on their website.
eajohnson is offline Find More Posts by eajohnson
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:26 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Yes I tslkd to them yesterday and they said they had some.
Also they confirmed 300W per channel for the new Duo eventhough the Hyperion datasheet says 180W.
Anyone want to buy a used Duo or 2?
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:52 AM
Joined May 2009
510 Posts
I regen. discharge my packs with Hyperion 0720iNet. Just swap the input/output and go. That says to power the charger with my fully charged pack to charge the PB or big lithium, spending no more effort than PL8 to get everything connected.

The only concern is to setup a clock to prevent over discharging the pack.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Since the load on a lipo supplying the charger is fairly smooth and you probably don't want to drain them below 50%, couldn't you setup the input voltage protection limit on the charger around 3.85V/cell (eg 23V if using a 6S lipo as the source)?
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The one advantage regenerative discharge has over your approach is that it supports automatic cycling. Not a big requirement for most people but very important to those running lots of battery tests.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
LI NY
Joined Sep 2008
1,013 Posts
I rarely keep my lipos at storage charge. Mine are at full charge because it would be impossible to charge all my packs the day I want to go fly. I also never saw any reason to do so unless I was to store them over the winter or something.
fierce is offline Find More Posts by fierce
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:20 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
I also never saw any reason to do so unless I was to store them over the winter or something.
That is what everyone thought in the early days of using Lipolys and many such as youself still feel that way. Sad truth is that storing them fully charged causes thier internal resistence to increase a lot faster thus turning a 30C into a 15 or 20C one. Why pay more for higher C rates if you are not going to preserve it best you can?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:19 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
IMO it is a time vs money issue. Getting 300 cycles is great and really important if you are an every-day-flyer, or even an every-weekend-flyer with a regular gig. However for those of us that are time-poor who only fly 10 or 20 times a year and usually only at short notice, keeping packs charged can make a difference to getting the chance to fly or not. So long as one is willling to accept the decreased pack lifetime it is a valid choice IMO.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:33 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
YMMV but with the 5C capable packs from Hyperion and the Duo (I have 4 Duos) I can usually charge from storage to full in ~7min. After a flight about 14min. I arrive at the field, connect batteries to chargers, assemble planes then fly. I never wait on batteries. In the time it takes me to assemble planes, the batteries are charged.
When finished flying, I do not recharge fully but use the storage charge feature to get my batteries from 20-30% to ~70% as I clean up and pack the car.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
feathermerchant I have been trying to get that message across for around two years now. Most of the ttime I throw two packs on charge while getting readyto go to the field. 10 minutes or less later they are charged. At the field I put a couple more on charge assemble planes and never have to wait on a battery.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Yup. Even though I have 4 Duos (8 chargers essentially) I rarely unpack the 4th one.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:39 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Regenerative discharge may not seem very handy / important to some but on the other hand there have many complains in Hyperion charger threads of the extremely low 300 mA(per cell) discharge rate of the Original DUO ,the 25 watts limit of some of the other ones and even the 80 watt limit of the 730iNet 3.

Charles
I don't recall anyone complaining about the 80W limit on the 720i NET3. Heck, I'm only aware of one other charger with more discharge capacity.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:45 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
feathermerchant I have been trying to get that message across for around two years now. Most of the ttime I throw two packs on charge while getting readyto go to the field. 10 minutes or less later they are charged. At the field I put a couple more on charge assemble planes and never have to wait on a battery.
That is fine IF you have a way to charge at the field. At one of the fields I fly at we have no electric and our cars are in a parking lot about 75 to 100 feet from the field. We have to walk in on a path between the trees and from the flight line we cannot even see our cars. No way anyone in his right mind would leave his charging equipment out there.

So when I go to the field I take 20 to 30 batteries that are already charged and charge them when I get home.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is online now Find More Posts by Tom Moody