Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:12 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,631 Posts
The iCharger is indeed a great example of a manufacture listening to the customers wants and going from a fair charger to a very good one(it would seem) in only 6-8 months.

Hyperion Dave has been listening also and has included at least two of my recommendations/suggestions in the DUO and now 720i chargers. I feel that I was also responsible for the improvement in the LBA10 balancer.

Some would be shocked to learn that very often features are just not thought of by the engineers. I have been involved with beta testing of many RC products and many of my suggestions / request were added. Most often the manufacturer's comment to me was why didn't we think of that or I can't believe non of the other beta testers thought of that.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Dec 20, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:18 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Through my retailer, allerc, Hyperion has replied that my charger is within specs and is not a warranty repair. So that's that.

Can this issue be addressed in firmware or is it hardware related? It seems to me that you could allow TCS to be increased over 100% with stern warnings and the like.

Or can anyone hack this thing? Come on this hobby is filled with nerds who know machine code and can reverse engineer the firmware patch. Lets get it done!!
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:34 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman
Through my retailer, allerc, Hyperion has replied that my charger is within specs and is not a warranty repair. So that's that.

Can this issue be addressed in firmware or is it hardware related? It seems to me that you could allow TCS to be increased over 100% with stern warnings and the like.

Or can anyone hack this thing? Come on this hobby is filled with nerds who know machine code and can reverse engineer the firmware patch. Lets get it done!!
I don't remember this occuring until 1.7 was applied, at least for me. I also think they are full of it, I am a little dissapointed by their reply. My suggestion is to ask Dave for an explanation, I have every reason to beleive there is one, the question is can or will they do something about it in future versions...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:00 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
I don't remember this occuring until 1.7 was applied, at least for me. I also think they are full of it, I am a little dissapointed by their reply. My suggestion is to ask Dave for an explanation, I have every reason to beleive there is one, the question is can or will they do something about it in future versions...

Jack
My DUO has done this from day one. I bought the charger when it was first released, very early version of the firmware (1.2 maybe? Can't remember but it was in the low 1's).

Yes I too was dissappointed by their response. But I suspect this minor issue is very wide spread with the DUO and they would be looking at a huge economic problem if they were to "fix" this through some kind of recall/warranty arrangement.

I still think it makes sense that this issue could be resolved in the firmware. Hopefully they will provide the ability to "calibrate" your voltage readings in the charger, or allow TCS of greater than 100% or maybe alter the charge cycle.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:02 AM
Hotep
UK
Joined Dec 2005
2,395 Posts
I checked the volts on a few 3s packs right after charge the other day and they were all bang on, maybe 0.01 or so out on a few, so mine deffo DOES charge to 4.2 per cell.

Anyway NipponDave I have a question about using the Duo to charde DeepCycle Batts.

I found this info about the best way to charge deepcycle batts and i'm wondering IF the Duo already charges like this or if its possible for The Duo charger to charge DeepCycle this way with new firmware ?

The Ideal Charge Curve for DeepCycle Batts
"Bulk Phase: This is where the heavy lifting takes place. Charge at a rate up to 20%-40% of C to a voltage of about 14.4 volts (gel: 14.1V). For example, a 200 amp-hour battery would be charged at 40-80 amperes. This will bring the battery to about 75% of full charge, and is efficient (more amp-hours per hour of charge time) since the battery accepts more current when it is discharged. AGMs require slightly different voltages, and unless there is an AGM setting, should be charged using lead-acid settings.
Acceptance Phase: Maintain battery at 14.4 volts (Gel: 14.1V) while the amperage is steadily reduced. This will restore the next 25% of capacity at a declining rate. Your battery can be considered fully charged if it will accept current equal to 2% of C at 14.4 volts (a 200 amp-hour battery will only accept 4 amps).
Float Phase: When the battery’s acceptance declines to 2-4% of C, the voltage is reduced to 13.3 volts (Gel: 13.1V) to maintain the battery without losing electrolyte from the cells. This is a maintenance phase, not a charging phase.
Equalization: This stage is used to prevent flooded lead acid batteries from aging prematurely, and is an optional, but frequently omitted phase. After the battery reaches the end of the acceptance phase, the battery continues to be charged at 4% of C until the voltage stops rising, usually around 15.5-16.2 volts. This forces the battery to its highest possible state of charge, boiling the electrolyte in a controlled manner and dissolving the crystals of lead sulfate that have collected on the battery’s plates. In industrial applications where maximum energy storage is important, this phase is done every charge cycle. In the marine environment, it is more likely to be done every 20-50 cycles to extend the life and capacity of wet batteries. Gel and AGM batteries should not be equalized. Since electrical equipment and light bulbs can be damaged by high voltage, the battery should be disconnected from all loads during equalization."

This method sounds really good for longevity and keep the deepcycle properly charged, i understand if method of charge cant be done with the Duo but theres no harm in asking.

Peace
ShuNut is offline Find More Posts by ShuNut
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:52 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuNut
"Bulk Phase: This is where the heavy lifting takes place. Charge at a rate up to 20%-40% of C to a voltage of about 14.4 volts (gel: 14.1V). For example, a 200 amp-hour battery would be charged at 40-80 amperes.

Peace
You've already exceeded the charge rate of the DUO by 4 to 8 times with this example. Even if you cut the capacity to 100Ah the Duo just can't charge at a rate high enough to get you anywhere near 20% - 40%...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2005
90 Posts
Anybody interested in picking up a couple Hyperion 610 duos (original) with 1.9 firmware installed. I have 2 of these that I will sell for $200.00 per if anyone is interested. If you buy both, you will get the programming usb adaptor...I have the boxes, manuals hyperion balance adaptors and TP balance adaptors..

If you buy 1..the first one sold will get the USB programmer.
pepatrick is offline Find More Posts by pepatrick
Old Dec 24, 2008, 01:18 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman
I still think it makes sense that this issue could be resolved in the firmware. Hopefully they will provide the ability to "calibrate" your voltage readings in the charger, or allow TCS of greater than 100% or maybe alter the charge cycle.
I have asked our engineer to look at the feasibility of adding several User Setup option on each channel which would allow:

Adjustment of terminal charge voltage for Lipo and LiFe independantly, +/- 30mV, 5mv steps

Adjustment of LCD Voltage readout (ie: Calibration):
Per cell (applies to all cells) +/- 20mV in 2mV steps
Per Main Output wires +/- 20mV in 2mV steps

Range and steps based on your feedback and results of internal testing, with safety in mind in the event of mis-settings, and in mind of firmware storage limitations.

Will report back when I hear what is possible, and if possible when it may be ready.

Thanks,

David
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Last edited by NipponDave; Dec 25, 2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 03:23 AM
p-38
the colony tx
Joined Oct 2007
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
I have asked our engineer to look at the feasibility of adding several User Setup option on each channel which would allow:

Adjustment of terminal charge voltage for Lipo and LiFe independantly, +/- 30mV, 5mv steps

Adjustment of LCD Voltage readout:

Range and steps based on your feedback and results of internal testing, with safety in mind in the event of mis-settings, and in mind of firmware storage limitations.

Will report back when I hear what is possible, and if possible when it may be ready.

Thanks,

David
Do you know when the new 0720i is comming out and who will be selling it?

Thanks
1airborne
1airborne is offline Find More Posts by 1airborne
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:37 AM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Here is one place.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:43 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Good points and if one is to dream then I wish all chargers were as flexiable as the new Multi Chemistry Cell Pro 4. No I do not have one and really have no plans to purchase one but I am extremely impressed with its' list of programable options.

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html

Many years ago (1992 I believe)I purchased an Ace MicroPro 8000 transmitter and you could program with,save to ,transfere setups etc. by way of RS232 port. Sure made programing super easy. A few other "modern" transmitters now have these capacbilities and for the life of me I can not understand why all 'smart chargers" do not posses this feacture. I also do not understand why chargers and transmitters do not use removeable flash meory cards for not only memory setups but also to record charges so they can be downloaded to a PC.

Just an avid flyer dreaming of the ultimate charger.

Charles
Why don't you oem your ultimate charger Charles?

Get it made in Mexico, Singapore, Taiwan, Bangladesh, India etc, Stay on top of quality control and make it infinitely firmware upgradable.
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
p-38
the colony tx
Joined Oct 2007
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM CALDWELL A

Thanks 1airborne
1airborne is offline Find More Posts by 1airborne
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave

Adjustment of LCD Voltage readout:

Thanks,

David

Thanks alot David, that is really great of you to try. I really appreciate it. Merry Christmas everyone!!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:57 PM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
I love my Duo! I had a problam the other night though. I pushed the mode button and the display went blank. I tried it and teh ch button and nothing made it come back. The charger was still beeping and acting like it was still charging/balancing. I had 2 6S packs charging solo. After pushing the enter button for both chargers it stopped charging. I disconnected teh packs and cycled the power. It has worked fine since. It probably charged 10 or 12 6S LiPo and 2 2S A123 batteries today. Anyone else seen this?
The only time I've seen that on my duo is when it is too hot and doesn't fire up.

Whack it in the car with the aircon on to cool her down and bob's your mother's brother.
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:46 PM
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
Man if we could get the voltage accuracy problem fixed this thing would be darn near perfect.
Dragonfueled is offline Find More Posts by Dragonfueled